* Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-07-31 23:41 Kevin Chadwick
From: Kevin Chadwick @ 2023-07-31 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally for mailing lists and other google groups.
I have it set to receive every email which you can
then easily reply to.
That setting is greyed out for comp.lang.ada.
Why is that?
Can that restriction be lifted as I would much rather
use an email client? I believe this list would get a
boost in users as a result and a more consistent 80
character width.

Regards,
           Kevin Chadwick

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-01 11:47 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2023-08-01 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-08-01 2:41, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Normally for mailing lists and other google groups.
> I have it set to receive every email which you can
> then easily reply to.
> That setting is greyed out for comp.lang.ada.
> Why is that?

I'm probably not the best person to answer you, but I hope you know that
comp.lang.ada is basically not a "google group", but a "USENET news"
group that can be accessed via google, but is better accessed through a
"news-reader" program (a USENET client). Several e-mail programs, such
as Thunderbird, include news-readers. When you read comp.lang.ada
through a news-reader, it works very much like e-mail.

> Can that restriction be lifted as I would much rather
> use an email client?

I don't know about the google interface to comp.lang.ada (I've never
used it), so I can't answer. But if you would rather use an e-mail
client, try to use its news-reader to access comp.lang.ada. You will
need an account with a USENET service provider; there are both free
(gratis) providers (https://www.eternal-september.org/ is often
suggested) and providers that require small annual fees.

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-01 13:29   ` Kevin Chadwick
From: Kevin Chadwick @ 2023-08-01 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> but I hope you know that
> comp.lang.ada is basically not a "google group", but a "USENET news"
> group that can be accessed via google, but is better accessed through a
> "news-reader" program (a USENET client).

Thank you for responding. I didn't realise that.
That is unfortunate. Most mailing lists just work immediately with any email
client on any platform, including Android.

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-01 15:53     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2023-08-01 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-08-01 16:29, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>> but I hope you know that
>> comp.lang.ada is basically not a "google group", but a "USENET news"
>> group that can be accessed via google, but is better accessed through a
>> "news-reader" program (a USENET client).
>
> Thank you for responding. I didn't realise that.
> That is unfortunate. Most mailing lists just work immediately with any email
> client on any platform, including Android.

The point is that comp.lang.ada is _not_ a mailing list. Different
technology. If you want to know more about the tech, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet.

Some people (perhaps many people) think USENET is out of date, and
indeed new discussion fora with a similar purpose are usually built on
web technology. But I find that USENET offers a better user interface
than all web fora I've ever experienced, even if limited to text only.

There are several web-oriented Ada discussion fora, for example
https://forum.ada-lang.io, not to mention stackoverflow and reddit.

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-01 16:58       ` DrPi
From: DrPi @ 2023-08-01 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There are several web-oriented Ada discussion fora, for example
> https://forum.ada-lang.io, not to mention stackoverflow and reddit.

There are also several Ada rooms (Ada, Alire, Ada Drivers Library...) on
Matrix (https://matrix.org/).

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-01 18:11         ` Kevin Chadwick
From: Kevin Chadwick @ 2023-08-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > There are several web-oriented Ada discussion fora, for example
> > https://forum.ada-lang.io, not to mention stackoverflow and reddit.
> >
> There are also several Ada rooms (Ada, Alire, Ada Drivers Library...) on
> Matrix (https://matrix.org/).

Yes , I also prefer mailing lists to web tech. Matrix threading
 seems to be quite poor.

Is there a decent mobile client for this usenet. Or any way to get all
emails instead of just those that you are involved in?

On Telegram someone else chimed in with:

@ 2023-08-02 12:02           ` G. B.
From: G. B. @ 2023-08-02 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Chadwick <kevc3no4@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a decent mobile client for this usenet.

There is (are). The self-describing header
lines of posts identify some.

> Or any way to get all
> emails instead of just those that you are involved in?

NNTP facilitates responses sent over
SMTP or NNTP, whichever you wish.

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-02 19:36             ` Kevin Chadwick
From: Kevin Chadwick @ 2023-08-02 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> NNTP facilitates responses sent over
> SMTP or NNTP, whichever you wish.

I run a mail server and have set up mailing lists in the past.

Thanks, however, what I am asking for is whether there is or
 can be an easy way for users to change the current system
from sending emails for threads that we are involved in to
 sending emails for all messages? Obviously that wouldn't
make it into a proper mailing list like most open source projects
use.

* Re: Membership setting for this group greyed out?
@ 2023-08-02 23:23               ` Kevin Chadwick
From: Kevin Chadwick @ 2023-08-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>make it into a proper mailing list like most open source projects
>use.

PhoNews seems alright for Android but honestly setting up a server and
 client isn't exactly conducive to onboarding.

Wouldn't a google group hosted account just work with an email address like
 the pqc-forum group does?

--
Regards, Kc