* Status of openGL support in GtkAda.
@ 2023-09-21  8:38 Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-09-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.all,

    Has anyone had any success using openGL in GtkAda ?

    I tried a quick test today and although the 'Gtk.GLArea' and
'Gdk.GLContext' packages are present, I was unable to get a GL context.

    Also, the testgtk program has no openGL demo, as it used to have.

    I used openGL/GtkAda to good effect many years ago. Has openGL
support then been dropped completely ?

    I recall there was a Gtk3 bug related to openGL and thought that
might possibly be the reason why it is absent in GtkAda. Does GtkAda use
Gtk4, yet ?

    I'm quite keen to try my hand at game programming (and have
developed an Ada game engine library), so any advice/info would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards.

* Re: Status of openGL support in GtkAda.
@ 2023-10-02  8:44 ` Vadim Godunko
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2023-10-02  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 12:37:02 PM UTC+4, Rod Kay wrote:

> Has anyone had any success using openGL in GtkAda ?
>
> I tried a quick test today and although the 'Gtk.GLArea' and
> 'Gdk.GLContext' packages are present, I was unable to get a GL context.
>
> Also, the testgtk program has no openGL demo, as it used to have.
>
> I used openGL/GtkAda to good effect many years ago. Has openGL
> support then been dropped completely ?
>
> I recall there was a Gtk3 bug related to openGL and thought that
> might possibly be the reason why it is absent in GtkAda. Does GtkAda use
> Gtk4, yet ?
>
> I'm quite keen to try my hand at game programming (and have
> developed an Ada game engine library), so any advice/info would be
> greatly appreciated.

Rod,

GtkAda is binding for Gtk+ 3.24.x version, it doesn't support Gtk 4.

GtkAda doesn't provide OpenGL API binding, but supports OpenGL. There is no example in testgtk for this reason - it requires OpenGL API binding.

* Re: Status of openGL support in GtkAda.
@ 2023-10-30  9:15   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-10-30  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/10/23 19:44, Vadim Godunko wrote:

> GtkAda is binding for Gtk+ 3.24.x version, it doesn't support Gtk 4.
>
> GtkAda doesn't provide OpenGL API binding, but supports OpenGL. There is no example in testgtk for this reason - it requires OpenGL API binding.

    I'm very happy to report that openGL support in gtkada works fine. I
made a simple blunder in my initial test (not attaching the gl_Area
widget to my main window widget *sigh* :) ).

    It is also possible to use an openGL engine (ie a renderer in it's
own ada task) with gtakada. A simple protected object to prevent mutual
access between the gtkada task (main environment task) and the openGL
engine task, is all that was required.

    *Thank* you Vadim for letting me know that the openGL support is there.

    Now, onto my game ! ... :D

    "The game is afoot!"

Regards.

P.S.   Would anyone know if gtkada might be 'upgraded' to support gtk4 ?
        Just curious (gtk3 is fine for my purposes).

* Re: Status of openGL support in GtkAda.
@ 2023-10-30  9:34   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-10-30  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-10-30  9:39   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-10-30  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-10-30  9:43   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-10-30  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/10/23 19:44, Vadim Godunko wrote:

 > GtkAda is binding for Gtk+ 3.24.x version, it doesn't support Gtk 4.
 >
 > GtkAda doesn't provide OpenGL API binding, but supports OpenGL. There
is no example in testgtk for this reason - it requires OpenGL API binding.

    I'm very happy to report that openGL support in gtkada works fine. I
made a simple blunder in my initial test (not attaching the gl_Area
widget to my main window widget *sigh* :) ).

    It is also possible to use an openGL engine (ie a renderer in it's
own ada task) with gtkada. A simple protected object to prevent mutual

@ 2023-10-30 10:54     ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-10-30 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Ugh ... sorry about the multiples.

    My reply stalled when sending, so I tried re-sending ... several
times :/.