* Beaujolais Challenge
@ 2023-12-09 23:34 jklsemicolon
From: jklsemicolon @ 2023-12-09 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

More than twenty years ago as high schooler digging into the stacks at a
community college library, I came across a book on Ada where a chapter epigraph
referenced a bug bounty where the finder of some variety of bug in the Ada
language specification would receive a case of wine.  Does this ring any bells?
 I realize that this is quite vague, but I didn't have the CS background then
to appreciate what I was reading, and events have taken me quite far from that
shelf on that day.

... We all live in a yellow subroutine...

* Re: Beaujolais Challenge
@ 2023-12-10 18:39 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2023-12-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 10/12/2023 à 00:34, jklsemicolon a écrit :
> More than twenty years ago as high schooler digging into the stacks at a
> community college library, I came across a book on Ada where a chapter epigraph
> referenced a bug bounty where the finder of some variety of bug in the Ada
> language specification would receive a case of wine.  Does this ring any bells?
>   I realize that this is quite vague, but I didn't have the CS background then
> to appreciate what I was reading, and events have taken me quite far from that
> shelf on that day.
>
> ... We all live in a yellow subroutine...

Sure. Ichbiah bet that the addition or removal of a use clause could
cause compilation errors, but could not give a working program with a
different meaning (a different resolution).

John Goodenough came up with such a case (a very contrived case,
involving several levels of generics). I'm not sur that Ichbiah offered
the bottle... The so-called beaujolais effect was fixed in Ada95.
--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Beaujolais Challenge
@ 2023-12-10 19:27   ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2023-12-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ul50lo$2p5cc$1@dont-email.me>, J-P. Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote:
>Sure. Ichbiah bet that the addition or removal of a use clause could
>cause compilation errors, but could not give a working program with a
>different meaning (a different resolution).
[...]
>The so-called beaujolais effect was fixed in Ada95.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaujolais_effect.

And the reference given on that wiki-page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060823054957/http://www.adaic.com/learn/oldfaqs.html#beaujolais

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/Ada-Europe/SIGAda/WG9)

* 28th Ada-Europe Int. Conf. Reliable Software Technologies (AEiC 2024)
* June 11-14, 2024, Barcelona, Spain, www.ada-europe.org/conference2024

* Re: Beaujolais Challenge
@ 2023-12-12  9:23   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2023-12-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
>...The so-called beaujolais effect was fixed in Ada95.

It's still something that is talked about today when new Ada features are
proposed; we don't want to reintroduce it, or the related "Ripple effect"
(which is associated with "with" clauses, and is named for a cheap American
wine brand circa 1980).