* Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-01-28  9:11 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-01-28  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linux/i386 Gnat 3.14p and Gnat-3.2 .

I want to see the point in the debugged program where an exception is
thrown (and also see the backtrace).

I tried "catch throw" command of GDB (which does this with C++
exceptions), but this does not work for Ada:

(gdb) catch throw
warning: Unsupported with this platform/compiler combination.
warning: Perhaps you can achieve the effect you want by setting
warning: a breakpoint on __raise_exception().

Help?

* Re: Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-01-28 16:56 ` Toshitaka Kumano
From: Toshitaka Kumano @ 2003-01-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Victor Porton wrote:
> Linux/i386 Gnat 3.14p and Gnat-3.2 .
>
> I want to see the point in the debugged program where an exception is
> thrown (and also see the backtrace).
>
> I tried "catch throw" command of GDB (which does this with C++
> exceptions), but this does not work for Ada:

If you use GDB coming with GNAT 3.14p,
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ug_unx/Ada-Exceptions.html#Ada%20Exceptions
would be helpful, although the documentation is not released officially from FSF
yet.

I recall the same level of documentation as above should be included in 3.14p:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.14p/gnat-3.14p-docs.tar.gz

BTW, why don't you use 3.15p ?

--
Toshitaka Kumano
Kamakura, Japan

* Re: Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-01-28 17:18 ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-01-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.5.1043772982.30820.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>,
	Toshitaka Kumano <kumano@cl.cilas.net> writes:
> Victor Porton wrote:
>> Linux/i386 Gnat 3.14p and Gnat-3.2 .
>>
> BTW, why don't you use 3.15p ?

There are no 3.15p package for Debian.

* Re: Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-01-29  8:20 ` Alex Proudfoot
From: Alex Proudfoot @ 2003-01-29  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try "break exception".

@ 2003-01-29  8:58 ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-01-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3e378e03@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>,
	"Alex Proudfoot" <alex.proudfoot@amsjv.com> writes:
> Try "break exception".
>
> Victor Porton <porton@ex-code.com> wrote in message
>> Linux/i386 Gnat 3.14p and Gnat-3.2 .
>>
>> I want to see the point in the debugged program where an exception is
>> thrown (and also see the backtrace).
>>
>> I tried "catch throw" command of GDB (which does this with C++
>> exceptions), but this does not work for Ada:
>>
>> (gdb) catch throw
>> warning: Unsupported with this platform/compiler combination.
>> warning: Perhaps you can achieve the effect you want by setting
>> warning: a breakpoint on __raise_exception().

It does not work with my GDB (GNU gdb 2002-04-01-cvs, Debian package
version 5.2.cvs20020401-6).

Where to get the right GDB for Ada?

* Re: Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-01-30 20:33   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-01-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) writes:

> In article <3e378e03@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>,
> 	"Alex Proudfoot" <alex.proudfoot@amsjv.com> writes:
> > Try "break exception".

> It does not work with my GDB (GNU gdb 2002-04-01-cvs, Debian package
> version 5.2.cvs20020401-6).
>
> Where to get the right GDB for Ada?

That I don't know, but you could try "break __gnat_raise" (I'm pretty
sure!)

* Re: Catching exceptions in debugger (Unix)
@ 2003-02-05 18:16   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-02-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton <porton@ex-code.com> wrote:
:> BTW, why don't you use 3.15p ?
:
: There are no 3.15p package for Debian.

installing 3.15p on Debian in a location of your choice
is a trivial procedure, if you use the "standard" GNU/Linux
tar.gz-Distribution. There is als a Debian package containing
GCC 3.2 incl Ada. None of them steps on any other's feet if
you follow the installation instructions.