From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Add Finalization
Date: 22 Sep 2004 22:59:20 +0100
Date: 2004-09-22T22:59:20+01:00	[thread overview]

christoph.grein@eurocopter.com writes:

> In article <x7vllfsa3mc.fsf@smaug.pushface.org>,
>     Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>  > kevin.cline@gmail.com (Kevin Cline) writes:
>  >
>  >> For example, I found this at http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/:
>  >
>  >> This library, the Add Finalization Anywhere Library, provides a
>  >> nice(?) way to add finalization to any (limited) tagged type at any
>  >> level. The structure of the library is inspired by Christoph Karl
>  >> Walter Grein's library for adding finalization to library level
>  >> tagged types and my library is designed to integrate well with his.
>  >>
>  >> However, since declaring controlled types elsewhere than at the
>  >> library level isn't supported by Ada there is a lot of hackish
>  >> things going on inside the library. Currently, I don't know whether
>  >> the these things work on any other compiler than GNAT 3.13p and
>  >> whether they are at all sane."
>  >
>  > I'm pretty sure that Christophe's library only worked because of bugs
>  > in GNAT 3.13p.
>
> Simon (I assume the above quote I found in another thread was correct,
> so you wrote this)
>
> Why on earth do you think this? My library for adding controlledness
> to limited types works perfectly well.

I somehow missed the magic word "limited" in the OP's article. I think
I confused his "declaring controlled types at other than the library
level" with "unlimited", so when I read your article I saw the
problematic aspects of the unlimited version which you report instead
of the good aspects of the limited version.

Your "limited" library indeed works just fine.

Apologies.

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.