* Add Finalization
@ 2004-09-22 13:02 christoph.grein
From: christoph.grein @ 2004-09-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

In article <x7vllfsa3mc.fsf@smaug.pushface.org>,
 > kevin.cline@gmail.com (Kevin Cline) writes:
 >
 >> For example, I found this at http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/:
 >
 >> This library, the Add Finalization Anywhere Library, provides a
 >> nice(?) way to add finalization to any (limited) tagged type at any
 >> level. The structure of the library is inspired by Christoph Karl
 >> Walter Grein's library for adding finalization to library level
 >> tagged types and my library is designed to integrate well with his.
 >>
 >> However, since declaring controlled types elsewhere than at the
 >> library level isn't supported by Ada there is a lot of hackish
 >> things going on inside the library. Currently, I don't know whether
 >> the these things work on any other compiler than GNAT 3.13p and
 >> whether they are at all sane."
 >
 > I'm pretty sure that Christophe's library only worked because of bugs
 > in GNAT 3.13p.

Simon (I assume the above quote I found in another thread was correct,
so you wrote this)

Why on earth do you think this? My library for adding controlledness
to limited types works perfectly well.
I've updated the result file for recent compilers. The old Gnat version I
used when I wrote this library had bugs, so it did not produce the correct
result, but the Apex version was correct. Now Apex and Gnat produce the
same results as expected.

See http://home.t-online.de/home/christ-usch.grein/Ada/Finalization.html

Christoph

* Re: Add Finalization
@ 2004-09-22 21:59 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2004-09-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

christoph.grein@eurocopter.com writes:

> In article <x7vllfsa3mc.fsf@smaug.pushface.org>,
>     Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>  > kevin.cline@gmail.com (Kevin Cline) writes:
>  >
>  >> For example, I found this at http://www.gidenstam.org/Ada/:
>  >
>  >> This library, the Add Finalization Anywhere Library, provides a
>  >> nice(?) way to add finalization to any (limited) tagged type at any
>  >> level. The structure of the library is inspired by Christoph Karl
>  >> Walter Grein's library for adding finalization to library level
>  >> tagged types and my library is designed to integrate well with his.
>  >>
>  >> However, since declaring controlled types elsewhere than at the
>  >> library level isn't supported by Ada there is a lot of hackish
>  >> things going on inside the library. Currently, I don't know whether
>  >> the these things work on any other compiler than GNAT 3.13p and
>  >> whether they are at all sane."
>  >
>  > I'm pretty sure that Christophe's library only worked because of bugs
>  > in GNAT 3.13p.
>
> Simon (I assume the above quote I found in another thread was correct,
> so you wrote this)
>
> Why on earth do you think this? My library for adding controlledness
> to limited types works perfectly well.

I somehow missed the magic word "limited" in the OP's article. I think
I confused his "declaring controlled types at other than the library
level" with "unlimited", so when I read your article I saw the
problematic aspects of the unlimited version which you report instead
of the good aspects of the limited version.

Your "limited" library indeed works just fine.

Apologies.

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: Add Finalization
@ 2004-09-23  5:17 christoph.grein
From: christoph.grein @ 2004-09-23  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

 > Your "limited" library indeed works just fine.
 >
 > Apologies.
 >
 > --
 > Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

No apologies necessary, I did not feel offended - I just wanted to know
where you got the impression from.