From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Image attribute (yet again)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 07:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2020-04-27T07:05:56-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 9:42:39 AM UTC-4, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Le 27/04/2020 à 14:50, Jere a écrit :
> > Conceptionally that makes sense.  I do wish they had followed other
> > languages in at least providing some of the basic formatting options
> > for stuff like this.  Even if it was a different package (String_IO?).
>
> There are plenty of packages that you can download that provide very
> useful stuff. The difference with other languages is that Ada people
> disregard anything which is not blessed by the standard. Many other
> in-fashion languages have not standard at all, so users consider that
> anything on the web is "available for the language".
I was more referring to things that are considered part of the standard
language (text formatting of numbers is standard in many languages).

> If you look at any of the sites that provide Ada resources links, you'll
> see that Ada's situation is not that bad...
It depends on what your use case is.  In some areas, the situation
is quite bad, in others it is not.  I am hoping that as some more
mainstream companies like Nvidia take up Ada, the landscape will improve
even more.

> Talking about reuse vs. redesign, I recommend the paper "What price
> reusability", old but fortunately available from ACM:
> https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/112629.112643
>
> It compares the cost of rewriting with the cost of searching for
> something already available, and the number of reuses necessary to break
> even. It shows that for simple things (like the one we discussed above),
> rewriting can be more cost-effective than searching the web for existing
> stuff...

Thanks!  I'll take a look.