* Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
@ 1993-07-27 23:29 Janos Szamosfalvi
From: Janos Szamosfalvi @ 1993-07-27 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jul27.211933.1428@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> Cobarruvias@asd2.jsc.nasa.g
ov (John Cobarruvias) writes:

>[...]
>We need to sit back and ask "Why are we defending Ada?" and "Why should
>we?". Do we see C or C++ people wasting their time defending the merits of
>the language? Or Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Algol, Jovial, people? NO! They are
>too busy using the damn language! Only Ada folks defend their language.

I've seen too many C vs. Pascal, Pascal vs. Basic, C++ vs. Ada, etc.
flamewars, so I can safely say that those people *DO* defend their
language.   Or another way, everyone defend their favorite language.

* Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
@ 1993-07-28  1:48 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-07-28  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Recently I responded to another one of the "Ada Sucks" posts by the well
>known "I hate Ada and Therefore Everyone Else Should Do The Same and I
>Won't Stop Posting Ada Hate Mail Until Everyone Else Does" poster;

If you read closely what Mr. Ada has posted, you will notice that very
little, if any of it, is anti-Ada.  Mr. Ada likes Ada alot, otherwise
he wouldn't have spent so much of his OWN money investing in Ada
businesses, more so than most of the people at Tri-Ada, WadaS, Ancoat,
etc.  But you have to actually read his postings to figure that out. For
example, his WadaS presentation did not say one bad thing about the
software engineering merits of Ada and in fact started out with a
compliment of Ada's ability to convey information on complex concepts.
(and if you have problems reading, try Hooked-on-Phonics).

Mr. Ada is anti-  Ada policies and hypocrisy, such as a Mandate that
most people in the DoD don't believe in fully or follow, such as Ada reuse
operations that violate the public trust by wasting tons of money on
providing a 800-number service for free, about the lack of presence
of anyone from the Ada world at commercial trade shows and conferences,
about DoD think tanks that suppress information critical of Ada policies,
about a DoD that bases policies without having any knowledge of the
demographics of Ada use inside and outside, about a DoD that totally
botched integrating Ada and VHDL, about a DoD that only seems to be
publicizing success stories for projects that don't use Ada, about a
general Ada community that is unwillingly to jointly sponsor marketing
efforts for Ada, about Ada companies spending more money advertising
C/C++ stuff than Ada stuff, etc.  (activities which from your silence
I assume you approve of).

Mr. Ada like Ada alot.  But it amazes him that a language as good as Ada,
with billions of defense dollars spending behind it, has had such a dismally
poor impact outside the Ada Mandated world.  Why?  Because of the hypocrisy
and apathy of those inside the Mandated world that John seems to support,
people like John whose involvement with Ada is not with their OWN money.
And people inside the government will never understand why this makes such
a big difference.

So on behalf of Mr. Ada, who is too humble to post this himself, three
cheers for his tireless efforts for truth, justice and the American way
(this third person point of view writing is kind of fun).  And with regards
to your apology, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
@ 1993-07-28 14:53 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland. @ 1993-07-28 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93Jul27204833@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:
>Mr. Ada likes Ada alot, otherwise he wouldn't have spent so much of his
>OWN money investing in Ada businesses, more so than most of the people
>at Tri-Ada, WadaS, Ancoat, etc.

>So on behalf of Mr. Ada, who is too humble to post this himself, three
>cheers for his tireless efforts for truth, justice and the American way
>(this third person point of view writing is kind of fun).  And with regards
>to your apology, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

   "Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart
    Oh, when may it suffice? That is heaven's part."
                                                   W.B. Yeats

Methinks Mr. Ada needs a rest.
| Mark Shanks                          |
| Principal Engineer                   |    All opinions mine,
| 777 Displays                         |        of course.
| shanks@saifr00.cfsat.honeywell.com   |
| "We have such sights to show you..." |

* Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
@ 1993-07-31 17:29 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1993-07-31 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually it is instructive to see this kind of abusive language in people's
posts, because it allows one to make an appropriate judgment as to the
general reliability of the poster!

* Re: An Apology to Mr. Ada on "Ada Sucks"
@ 1993-08-01 17:42 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-08-01 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Actually it is instructive to see this kind of abusive language in people's
>posts, because it allows one to make an appropriate judgment as to the
>general reliability of the poster!

I find it as instructive how people love to pounce on my explicit childish
insults, which I suppose is a form of unethical behavior, while remain
totally silent while supposed professionals violate a Federal law (i.e.
the Mandate), waste taypayer's dollars during a recession on a service
offering absolutely no non-pork return to the country (i.e. ASSet's use
of a freely offered toll-free 800 number to allow downloading of their
limited repository), suppress reports critical and embarassing to their
paymasters but important for the country (i.e. SEI suppressing their 1990
report supporting the contention that the country's infrastucture cannot
support the Mandate, while SEI concluded in 1991 in another report the
exact opposite, and did not cite the first report), etc.

So it seems that the only things you guys have the balls to do is publicly
or privately scold me for my occasional gutteral commentary (done at my own
expense), while remaining silent and seemingly supportive of lawbreaking,
pork barrel waste, and intellectual dishonesty, all done at taypayer expense.
And please of all you stop telling how many of the things I post have been
said for years "in the corridors".  All of this corridor talking has led to
the hypocrisy and gradual death of Ada.

By the way, you misinterpreted my rejoinder.  By "where the sun doesn't
shine",  I meant a filing cabinet.  I have no idea what your abusive mind
thought I meant, but I meant a filing cabinet, because that's were I save
many of the gems sent my way on comp.lang.ada.