* How to install GNatCom and GWindows - missing Tom.ads file??
@ 2004-10-31 14:52 Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-10-31 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm trying to install GWindows, but the output as shown below is
displayed in the console.
Apparently something about a "tom.tlb" file and another named
"tom.ads" ... no such files seem to be on my entire hard drive ...

Searching in Google, I only found the advice to add the
Gnatcom\Tools directory to my PATH, but I still get the same
result.

(Also, when trying to compile the samples shipped with
gnatcom, for several files I get an error telling me that "ie.ads"
was not found - I don't have a file named ie.ads anywhere
either - is this normal?)

I downloaded GNAT, gnatcom and gwindows at the same day,
the newest version of each, so they should work together (?)

Hope someone can help me; I'm quite a newbie to Ada's file
structure etc. and most information on the web seems to be
about the syntax etc. only (there doesn't even seem to be
a good help file available for the standard packages (?)) ...

[I'm using WinXP Home SP 2]
Console Output:

C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gwindows>install
Installing GWindows.....
make -C bindings
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/bindings'
bindcom ..\\redist\\tom.tlb TOM
GNATCOM.ERRORS.COM_ERROR
HRESULT (2147654730) : Fehler beim Laden der Typbibliothek/DLL.

make unicode
make[2]: Entering directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/bindings'
attrib -r gwindows.ads
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings.adb
attrib -r gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
copy gwindows_unicode.ads gwindows.ads
        1 Datei(en) kopiert.
copy gwindows-gstrings_unicode.adb gwindows-gstrings.adb
        1 Datei(en) kopiert.
copy gwindows-gstrings-unbounded_unicode.ads \
        gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
        1 Datei(en) kopiert.
attrib +r gwindows.ads
attrib +r gwindows-gstrings.adb
attrib +r gwindows-gstrings-unbounded.ads
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/bindings'
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-gstrings
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-gstrings-io
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-gstrings-unbounded
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-utilities
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-errors
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-internal
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-base
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-application
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-key_states
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-message_boxes
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-windows
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-windows-main
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-windows-mdi
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-events
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-colors
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-cursors
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-drawing
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-drawing-capabilities
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-drawing_objects
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-drawing_panels
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-menus
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-registry
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-buttons
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-carets
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-image_lists
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-combo_boxes
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-common_controls
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-common_dialogs
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-edit_boxes
gnatmake -gnatg -gnatq gwindows-scintilla
gnatmake gwindows-edit_boxes-rich
gcc -c gwindows-edit_boxes-rich.adb
gwindows-edit_boxes-rich.adb:41:33: file "tom.ads" not found
gwindows-edit_boxes-rich.adb:41:33: "Gwindows.Edit_Boxes.Rich (body)"
depends on
 "Gwindows.Edit_Boxes.Rich (spec)"
gwindows-edit_boxes-rich.adb:41:33: "Gwindows.Edit_Boxes.Rich (spec)"
depends on
 "Tom (spec)"
compilation abandoned
gnatmake: "gwindows-edit_boxes-rich.adb" compilation error
make[1]: *** [gwindows] Error 4
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/bindings'
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\GNAT\bin\make: *** [all] Error 2
Install Completed

C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gwindows>

My ada_source_path file:
adainclude
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\bindings\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\tools\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gwindows\bindings\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\tools\

My ada_object_path file:
adalib
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\bindings\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\tools\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gwindows\bindings\
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gnatcom\tools\

TIA
Florian Haag

* Re: How to install GNatCom and GWindows - missing Tom.ads file??
@ 2004-10-31 17:13 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-10-31 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you download and unpack the redist-*.zip?

I will be releasing another release of GWindows in the next day or two
that will make this a little less cumbersome also.

David Botton

@ 2004-10-31 17:45   ` Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-10-31 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Did you download and unpack the redist-*.zip?
>
> I will be releasing another release of GWindows in the next day or two
> that will make this a little less cumbersome also.

Ok, downloaded that ... when I downloaded the release version of
GWindows, I expected everything to be included in that ... ok, I
could've read a few lines further down ... ;-)

Well, calling install.bat for GWindows, the system doesn't complain
about a missing tom.* now anymore, but at some point of the
process, the following lines are displayed:

make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/tools'
make  -C gnatreg
make[2]: Entering directory
`C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/tools/gnatreg'
windres gnatreg.rc gnatreg.coff
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), windres gnatreg.rc gnatreg.coff, ...)
faile
d.
make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
make[2]: *** [gnatreg.coff] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/tools/gnatreg'
make[1]: *** [gnatreg] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/tools'
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\GNAT\bin\make: *** [tools] Error 2

("Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden." means "The system
is unable to locate the specified file.")

Also, when trying to compile any of the samples shipped with GWindows,
the compiler says:
"file 'gwindows.ads' not found"

Both my ada_source_path and my ada_object_path files are at the
right place and look like this:

adainclude
C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/GNAT/Bindings/Win32Ada
C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gnatcom/bindings
C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gnatcom/tools
C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/bindings
C:/Programme/PrgLang/Ada95/gwindows/tools

After reading the GNAT documentation, I understood that this
should suffice in order to have the compiler find gwindows.ads
(which is actually in
C:\Programme\PrgLang\Ada95\gwindows\bindings), but
seemingly it doesn't :-(

[I tried flipping the (back)slashes and using absolute/relative
paths, but none of these seems to have the desired effect ...]

@ 2004-11-01  4:55     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-01  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you install gnatwin in addition to gnat 3.15p?

windres should be included. If for some reason you don't have it, you
can download a copy of windres from the gnatcom site
http://www.gnavi.org/gnatcom

David Botton

@ 2004-11-01 11:01       ` Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-11-01 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Did you install gnatwin in addition to gnat 3.15p?
>
> windres should be included. If for some reason you don't have it, you can
> download a copy of windres from the gnatcom site
> http://www.gnavi.org/gnatcom

Oooh ... thank you :-))
Now, I can at least compile & run most of the samples :-)

I guess I'll experiment a bit with GWindows now, before I
try to find out how to have that A# compiler create exes which
don't throw an exception upon start-up ...

Thanks for your help *g*

Bye.
Florian Haag