* Cannot launch A# applications
@ 2004-11-05 11:05 Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-11-05 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I just installed the about most recent version (from like two days
ago) of mgnat from
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html
and took all the actions mentioned as being necessary in
section "To use A#, you need the following" on the said
website.

However, I'm not able to run any of the pre-compiled
exe's ... when I launch, for example, test_task.exe from
the test subdirectory, I first get a message telling me
the application had caused an exception that could not
be handled, then I get the following debug output:

Microsoft (R) Common Language Runtime Test Debugger Shell Version 1.0.3705.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2001. All rights reserved.

(cordbg) a 0x22c
Process 556/0x22c created.
Warning: couldn't load symbols for
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\
mscorlib.dll
Warning: couldn't load symbols for
C:\Programme\PrgLang\ASharp\mgnat\tests\test_
task.exe
[thread 0xbbc] Thread created.
Unable to  determine existence of prolog, if any
[thread 0x468] Thread created.
[thread 0xbbc] Unhandled exception generated: (0x00ce24d4)
<System.IO.FileNotFou
ndException>
  _fileName=(0x00ce1c18) "mgnatcs"
  _fusionLog=(0x00ce1c38) "=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = mgnatcs, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=713
d0175fa8fbef8
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\Programme\PrgLang\ASharp\mgnat\tests\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : test_task, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=n
ull.
===

LOG: Application configuration file does not exist.
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1
.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: mgnatcs, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKey
Token=713d0175fa8fbef8
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Programme/PrgLang/ASharp/mgnat/te
sts/mgnatcs.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Programme/PrgLang/ASharp/mgnat/te
sts/mgnatcs/mgnatcs.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Programme/PrgLang/ASharp/mgnat/te
sts/mgnatcs.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Programme/PrgLang/ASharp/mgnat/te
sts/mgnatcs/mgnatcs.EXE.
"
  _className=<null>
  _exceptionMethod=<null>
  _exceptionMethodString=<null>
  _message=(0x00ce2ce4) "Datei- oder Assemblyname 'mgnatcs' oder eine
Abh�nigkei
t davon wurde nicht gefunden."
  _innerException=<null>
  _helpURL=<null>
  _stackTrace=(0x00ce2da0) array with dims=[12]
  _stackTraceString=<null>
  _remoteStackTraceString=<null>
  _remoteStackIndex=0x00000000
  _HResult=0x80070002
  _source=<null>
  _xptrs=0x00000000
  _xcode=0xe0434f4d

Thread 0xbbc R --- Class initialization ---

(cordbg)
<<<

What does this mean?
Same applies to all exe's, also rapid.exe in the rapid.net
folder of the rapid download package, which was pointed
to on the A# website.

Funnily, as soon as I compile the respective source file
(most will, just a few files seem to be missing for some ...?!),
I can start the exe and it runs as expected ... however, that
cannot be the right way to do it for I'd have to distribute
the source code of my A# applications and have users
compile them like this ...

I'm using Win XP Home SP 2 and I've got the .NET Runtimes
installed (Versions 1.0.3705 and 1.1.4322).

TIA
Florian Haag

* Re: Cannot launch A# applications
@ 2004-11-05 16:16 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-11-05 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Haag <florianhaag@yahoo.de> wrote:
: when I launch, for example, test_task.exe from
: the test subdirectory, I first get a message telling me
: the application had caused an exception that could not
: be handled, then I get the following debug output:

: Microsoft (R) Common Language Runtime Test Debugger Shell Version 1.0.3705.0
                                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^

: Warning: couldn't load symbols for
: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\
                                     ^^^^^^^^^
: mscorlib.dll

:  _message=(0x00ce2ce4) "Datei- oder Assemblyname 'mgnatcs' oder eine
: Abh?nigkei
: t davon wurde nicht gefunden."

: I'm using Win XP Home SP 2 and I've got the .NET Runtimes
: installed (Versions 1.0.3705 and 1.1.4322).

These two numbers appear in the "missing something" error
messages above. Is it o.K. to have two CL_Rs_ etc loaded at the
same time?

-- Georg

* Re: Cannot launch A# applications
@ 2004-11-05 16:31   ` Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-11-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Florian Haag <florianhaag@yahoo.de> wrote:
> : I'm using Win XP Home SP 2 and I've got the .NET Runtimes
> : installed (Versions 1.0.3705 and 1.1.4322).
>
> These two numbers appear in the "missing something" error
> messages above. Is it o.K. to have two CL_Rs_ etc loaded at the
> same time?

No idea.
The .NET runtimes are system components ... and when I
installed V1.1 and the installer of that did not automatically
uninstall 1.0, I thought it'd have had good reasons not to
do so and left the old framework runtime there as well ...
do you think I can uninstall it w/o causing any severe
damage to my system?

Regards,

@ 2004-11-05 17:56     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-11-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Haag <florianhaag@yahoo.de> wrote:
: do you think I can uninstall it w/o causing any severe
: damage to my system?

Not sure. I've found hints that MS personnel suggests that
you "flatten and rebuild the box". What does the Update service
say/do?

Georg

* Re: Cannot launch A# applications
@ 2004-11-06 10:39       ` Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-11-06 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not sure. I've found hints that MS personnel suggests that
> you "flatten and rebuild the box".
> What does the Update service say/do?

What update service?

Hmm, I've got separate items in my control panel under software
for those runtimes, i.e. I could uninstall them from here ... but IIRC
none of the documents shipped with the runtime 1.1 sayd so.
After all, the .NET runtime is not a developer's tool; how could
I expect non-experienced users to try and uninstall the old runtimes
before running an A# application ...

Anyone tried uninstalling V1.0 after installing V1.1?

@ 2004-11-06 15:47         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-11-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Haag <florianhaag@yahoo.de> wrote:
: "Georg Bauhaus" <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: news:cmgerg$l05$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de...
:> Not sure. I've found hints that MS personnel suggests that
:> you "flatten and rebuild the box".
:> What does the Update service say/do?
:
: What update service?

W>=2000 has a service installed that can check whether there
are new system components available for your operating system.
This requires a connection to the internet.
IIRC, the service does check for new .NET components.

Georg

* Re: Cannot launch A# applications
@ 2004-11-06 19:31           ` Florian Haag
From: Florian Haag @ 2004-11-06 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Florian Haag <florianhaag@yahoo.de> wrote:
> : What update service?
>
> W>=2000 has a service installed that can check whether there
> are new system components available for your operating system.
> This requires a connection to the internet.

Oh, you mean that Windows Update service ... I deactivated
it right after setting up my pc as I've only an ISDN connection;
and I'm not going to let my Windows (or any other program
except my AV software) download tens of MBs without my
explicit request to so ...

> IIRC, the service does check for new .NET components.

Hmm, I installed DOTNET from the MS CD with SP 2,
and even that installer didn't tell me anything ... I saw
Windows Update in action once and I think it only
tells you something like "There are new updates available,
download now?" ... would Windows Update have
automatically uninstalled .NET 1.0 when installing
1.1, while the actual 1.1 installer didn't??

Regards,
Florian Haag