* CAUTION: Network Police patrolling c.l.a
@ 1994-09-13 13:22 John R. Cobarruvias
From: John R. Cobarruvias @ 1994-09-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a caution to you folks with different opinions. Seems like a self
appointed network policeman has taken it upon himself to right the wrongs
of those with different opinions on c.l.a. This righting of the wrongness
has recently caused a few questions to be asked from higher authorities.
Luckily those questioning seemed to have heard about/from this network
police before.

So be careful out there. Its a shame it comes down to this type of
policing, but hey, its America!

As for me, I will take my once smiley faces and restore their sense of
humor elsewhere.

* Re: CAUTION: Network Police patrolling c.l.a
@ 1994-09-13 14:19 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-09-13 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cobarruvias-130994082226@ekm085.jsc.nasa.gov>,
John R. Cobarruvias <cobarruvias@asd1.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>Just a caution to you folks with different opinions. Seems like a self
>appointed network policeman has taken it upon himself to right the wrongs
>[etc.]

Maybe they just didn't like the "Aggie" sig.?

(Grinning, ducking, and running)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
             Ada 9X -- It doesn't suck                       ||  father's Ada

* Re: CAUTION: Network Police patrolling c.l.a
@ 1994-09-13 15:41 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-09-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

John could you elaborate on your highly mysterious message, or was
it just meant to be provocative? :-)

* Re: CAUTION: Network Police patrolling c.l.a
@ 1994-09-15 13:36   ` John R. Cobarruvias
From: John R. Cobarruvias @ 1994-09-15 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <354h7k$t19@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
wrote:

> John could you elaborate on your highly mysterious message, or was
> it just meant to be provocative? :-)

In short: My opinions are different from someone else. So they took it upon
themselves to contact my supervisor. My supervisor had a talk with me.

So, bottom line is: If you have a different opinion, then you too may get a
call from your supervisor. I think it is pathetic.

* Re: CAUTION: Network Police patrolling c.l.a
@ 1994-09-16  7:34     ` Kevin D. Heatwole
From: Kevin D. Heatwole @ 1994-09-16  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Cobarruvias (cobarruvias@asd1.jsc.nasa.gov ) writes:
> In article <354h7k$t19@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
> wrote:
>
> > John could you elaborate on your highly mysterious message, or was
> > it just meant to be provocative? :-)
>
> In short: My opinions are different from someone else. So they took it upon
> themselves to contact my supervisor. My supervisor had a talk with me.
>
> So, bottom line is: If you have a different opinion, then you too may get a
> call from your supervisor. I think it is pathetic.

I had a similar experience within the last month.  Seems like some
people on this newsgroup feel obligated to suppress opinions and
discussion that they don't want the rest of us to consider.

So be it ...

Kevin D. Heatwole
OC Systems, Inc.

* Morality of govt. folks read/post on cla (was Re: ...Network Police)
@ 1994-09-16 12:03       ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-09-16 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Sep16.073406.11567@ocsystems.com>,
Kevin D. Heatwole <kdh@ocsystems.com> wrote:
>John R. Cobarruvias (cobarruvias@asd1.jsc.nasa.gov ) writes:
>> In article <354h7k$t19@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
>> wrote:
>>
>> > John could you elaborate on your highly mysterious message, or was
>> > it just meant to be provocative? :-)
>>
>> In short: My opinions are different from someone else. So they took it upon
>> themselves to contact my supervisor. My supervisor had a talk with me.
>>
>> So, bottom line is: If you have a different opinion, then you too may get a
>> call from your supervisor. I think it is pathetic.
>
>I had a similar experience within the last month.  Seems like some
>people on this newsgroup feel obligated to suppress opinions and
>discussion that they don't want the rest of us to consider.
>
>So be it ...

As a person who has had an outspoken opinion or two on this
newsgroup, and has been "threatened" with federal prosecution, it
would probably stand to reason I have an opinion on this particular
subject.

I do.

Let me relate, in the most non-specific way possible, a scenario:
A government employee (or somebody using a host system that clearly
has a government funded host address), sees something that is an
affront to their sensibilities.  They post a reply (we won't discuss
whether the reply is 100% flamebait or 100% rock-solid-counterarguments,
just that a reply was given).

Now, the original poster has their sensibilities affronted.  What to
do?  Continue the discussion?  Perhaps.  Send an e-mail note to
resolve the matter? Perhaps.  Post a flame? Perhaps.  Instead, the
original poster sends a note to postmaster@<govt. funded address> or
calls Higher Government Authority (or perhaps both) and tells the
tale of woe of how the other person has "assaulted" them.

Is this a proper thing to do?  I don't think so.  In fact, I think
it's downright childish.  I'm not saying this as somebody-who-was-
called-on-the-carpet.  The internet is a big place, and people in the
US government (I've never heard of folks on foreign government hosts
having this problem) have as much right to express their personal
opinions as others.  If you disagree with them or find their posts
offensive, handle it as a private matter.

Now, on the other side: Most "postmasters" of government systems are
smart cookies.  They get e-mail like that and generally laugh and
laugh.  They can tell the difference between "I've got sour grapes
about so-and-so" and "So-and-so threatened to kill the president...".
Unfortunately, I've not found the same thing with Higher Government
Authority -- they usually respond in a most bizarre and unnecessary
way.  Usually because they are ignorant of this medium.  And those
people control access to the net.

Now, it stands to reason that we should all post with some form of
emotional restraint.  FOlks with a government (or commercial
corporation address) should understand that, even though you may post
a disclaimer a the bottom that your post only reflects your opinion,
there are people that will broaden the scope of your opinions
regardless.

In any case, we can't legislate common sense.  Be careful about whom
you reply to and what you say, particularly if you're using your
companies' internet access.  Now, many of us are unable to know who
to be careful about and who won't pick up the phone and cry to
"mommy".  Through personal knowledge, I know Greg Aharonian
and Colin James III both have done this, so you may want to chose
your words carefully when you reply to them, publicly or privately.
I mention those names strictly as a public service, I'm certain that
is by no means a complete list.

In any case, we should all try to be careful in what words we choose,
and how constructive they are.

(Posted from a guy who pays for his Internet access)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
             Ada 9X -- It doesn't suck                       ||  father's Ada
For all sorts of interesting Ada 9X tidbits, run the command:||________________
"finger dweller@starbase.neosoft.com | more" (or e-mail with "finger" as subj.)
     **Tri-Ada '94, Nov 7-11, Baltimore, MD -- Something for Everybody.**

* Re: Morality of govt. folks read/post on cla (was Re: ...Network Police)
@ 1994-09-16 13:58         ` Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-09-16 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>"mommy".  Through personal knowledge, I know Greg Aharonian
>and Colin James III both have done this, so you may want to chose
>your words carefully when you reply to them, publicly or privately.

This is a sheer, utter, complete lie on about me.  While I am aware of
efforts by others to complain to government bodies about the posting styles
of government employees while at work, I have never done so and resent
David's accusation.  I know how to fight more own battles.
If someone else wants to complain to the government about your insults of
me on the Internet, well that's fine with me, but it is not my action.
Check into your allegations next time with all of those NASA resources at
your disposal.  Next time come up with a better insult, but don't accuse
me of something I haven't done.

Greg Aharonian

* Re: Morality of govt. folks read/post on cla (was Re: ...Network Police)
@ 1994-09-16 15:59           ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-09-16 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.94Sep16085801@world.std.com>,
Gregory Aharonian <srctran@world.std.com> wrote:

>>"mommy".  Through personal knowledge, I know Greg Aharonian
>>and Colin James III both have done this, so you may want to chose
>>your words carefully when you reply to them, publicly or privately.
>
>This is a sheer, utter, complete lie on about me.  While I am aware of
>efforts by others to complain to government bodies about the posting styles
>of government employees while at work, I have never done so and resent
>David's accusation.  I know how to fight more own battles.
>If someone else wants to complain to the government about your insults of
>me on the Internet, well that's fine with me, but it is not my action.
>Check into your allegations next time with all of those NASA resources at
>your disposal.  Next time come up with a better insult, but don't accuse
>me of something I haven't done.

If my information is incorrect, I absolutely retract my accusation.
My intent is not to insult, but to inform.  I don't have any "NASA
resources" at my disposal, so that is somewhat confusing.

I apologize.  My position about GA is retracted.