* line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-27 17:30 Hans Petter Fasteng
From: Hans Petter Fasteng @ 1994-09-27 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I use gnat to learn ada on a linux system.
When I compiled a little program I get the error message:

	/usr/adainclude/text_io.ads line 1(1), ilegal character

  but I can not find a ilegal character the first line is a comment.

hope for some help, thanks in advance

-Hans

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-28 14:00 ` Gene McCulley
From: Gene McCulley @ 1994-09-28 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Sep27.173045.3587@kfdata.no>, hansf@kfdata.no (Hans Petter Fasteng) writes:
|>   I use gnat to learn ada on a linux system.
|> When I compiled a little program I get the error message:
|>
|> 	/usr/adainclude/text_io.ads line 1(1), ilegal character
|>
|>   but I can not find a ilegal character the first line is a comment.
|>
|> hope for some help, thanks in advance
|>
|> -Hans

This is a problem between newer linux kernels and older GNAT versions.  Download
the latest version of GNAT for Linux from cs.nyu.edu.

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-28 21:26 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-09-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

please send bug reports for GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu, that's where
the people are who can help you. In this case, you have apparently
got something misintalled, and anyway I can tell that you are using a
very ancient version of GNAT. Please get the latest version, follow
the installation instructions TO THE LETTER, and then try again.

The current version of GNAT is 1.83. Binary releases for OS/2, DOS, Linux,
SunOS, Solaris, RS6000, Alpha + others can be FTP'ed from cs.nyu.edu.

Flash: we have just completed the port for NT, and this will also be made
available at cs.nyu.edu in the near future.

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-29 15:23   ` Pascal OBRY
From: Pascal OBRY @ 1994-09-29 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robet Dewar wrote :
>The current version of GNAT is 1.83. Binary releases for OS/2, DOS, Linux,
>SunOS, Solaris, RS6000, Alpha + others can be FTP'ed from cs.nyu.edu.
        ^^^^^^^

Well, I'll be very interested by a Solaris version of GNAT (and a lot of others
too), but I can't found it on cs.nyu.edu....

So, where is this Solaris version ?

Pascal.
| Pascal OBRY			e-mail: pascal.obry@der.edf.fr |
| EDF-DER-IPN-SID-ISI					       |
| Bureau G1-010			voice: +33-1-47.65.50.91       |
| 1 Av General de Gaulle				       |
| 92141 Clamart CEDEX		     			       |
| FRANCE			     			       |

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-29 15:25   ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1994-09-29 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36cn32$a2s@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
writes:

|> Flash: we have just completed the port for NT, and this will also be made
|> available at cs.nyu.edu in the near future.

Robert:

I presume you mean the port to NT on Intel, but since NT runs on a number
of platforms, it would be useful to clarify both the target OS and the
target architecture in future announcements of ports.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-09-29 15:43   ` Hans Petter Fasteng
From: Hans Petter Fasteng @ 1994-09-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gene McCulley (mcculley@greatwall.cctt.com) wrote:
: In article <1994Sep27.173045.3587@kfdata.no>, hansf@kfdata.no (Hans Petter Fasteng) writes:
: |>   I use gnat to learn ada on a linux system.
: |> When I compiled a little program I get the error message:
: |>
: |> 	/usr/adainclude/text_io.ads line 1(1), ilegal character
: |>
: |>   but I can not find a ilegal character the first line is a comment.
: |>
: |> hope for some help, thanks in advance
: |>
: |> -Hans
: |>

: This is a problem between newer linux kernels and older GNAT versions.  Download
: the latest version of GNAT for Linux from cs.nyu.edu.

thank you

-hans

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-10-03  4:44     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-10-03  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry the Sun SOlaris 2.0 version is NOT yet available for FTP from cs.nyu.edu,
we hope to have it packaged up, along with the Solaris 386 version sometime
this coming week.

* Re: line 1(1) ilegal character
@ 1994-10-03  4:46     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-10-03  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry Norm, you are quite right, I should have clarified, we are talking
about NT for x86. We also have done some work on NT for ALpha, but that
will not be available for a while. We are currently not looking at all
at NT for other machines (such as the power PC ??? :-)