* Ada Deutschland
@ 1994-09-29 10:20 Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1994-09-29 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

				 Stuttgart, 29.9.1994
Good news are seldom reported.
I think it's worth noting:
The German "SIGAda" has a periodical called "Ada aktuell".
The latest issue has been shortened and, as a compensation,
they sent the newest Walnut Creek CDROM with 620MB contents.
Big deal to be personal member of the "GI-Fachgruppe 2.1.5"   :-)
Thanks to you, Rolf Peter Wehrum et.al.

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Ada Deutschland
@ 1994-10-11 17:31 Prof Weber-Wulff
From: Prof Weber-Wulff @ 1994-10-11 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

The 1994 meeting of "Ada Deutschland" was held on Oct. 10 in the city of
Jena. 25 catholic Ada members of the GI (Gesellschaft fuer Informatik)
Fachgruppe 2.1.5 Ada gathered for a day of talks and a meeting.
There were 10 talks on Ada and security, Ada and Booch, Ada 9x, Ada as
a mother tongue, Milbus Engineering, Active objects, Realtime features of
Ada 9x, Safety Critical Software, the test suite for 9x, and the report
of a company on projects conducted in Ada.

I attended the meeting for the first time (and gave the talk on Ada as
a mother tongue) and learned a lot. The information about projects
being done in Ada was directly useful in my lectures this morning! I
enjoyed the discussions with colleagues from academia and industry,
the only frustrating moment was the annual "but-what-can-we-do-to-
promote-Ada" brainstroming. A general call goes out to all to write
papers for as many of the trade mags as possible talking about Ada,
and to collect some German success stories as AdaIC has been doing.

Papers and/or slides will be published in Ada Aktuell, the newsletter
of "Ada Deutschland", available by joining the Fachgruppe. Contact
the GI at Godesberger Allee 99, 53175 Bonn for membership forms.

--
Debora Weber-Wulff, Professorin fuer Softwaretechnik und Programmiersprachen
snail: Technische Fachhochschule Berlin, FB Informatik,

* Re: Ada Deutschland
@ 1994-10-12 14:28 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1994-10-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37ei50$fim@sun24.tfh-berlin.de>, weberwu@tfh-berlin.de (Prof Weber-Wulff) writes:
|> The 1994 meeting of "Ada Deutschland" was held on Oct. 10 in the city of
|> Jena. 25 catholic Ada members of the GI (Gesellschaft fuer Informatik)
            ^^^^^^^^
|> Fachgruppe 2.1.5 Ada gathered for a day of talks and a meeting.

What exactly does being catholic have to do with anything?

Is this a translation issue?

T.E.D.

* Re: Ada Deutschland
@ 1994-10-13  8:05   ` Matthias Suilmann
From: Matthias Suilmann @ 1994-10-13  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article as@theopolis.orl.mmc.com, dennison@romulus23.DAB.GE.COM (Ted Dennison) writes:
> In article <37ei50$fim@sun24.tfh-berlin.de>, weberwu@tfh-berlin.de (Prof Weber-Wulff) writes:
> |> The 1994 meeting of "Ada Deutschland" was held on Oct. 10 in the city of
> |> Jena. 25 catholic Ada members of the GI (Gesellschaft fuer Informatik)
>             ^^^^^^^^
> |> Fachgruppe 2.1.5 Ada gathered for a day of talks and a meeting.
>

> What exactly does being catholic have to do with anything?
>
> Is this a translation issue?

Sort of, may be Mrs. Weber-Wulf missed the quotes :-)

In Germany we have every year a catholic convention, called
Catholic [Ada} Days, where believing catholics [Ada-people] are talking to believing
catholics [Ada-people], telling each other how believing everyone is.
There are some fundamental talks (Don`t change anything {Use Ada83])
or some revolutionary talks (Allow priests the marriage [use Ada9X]) and
everybody complains about empty churches [Too few Ada-Users].

Regards,
Matthias Suilmann, one of the  "catholic" Ada members

   _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Matthias Suilmann | Tel.:   (05931) 805-471
  _/     _/       _/    SE/Ada            | Fax:    (05931) 805-100
 _/     _/       _/     Lohberg 10        | E-Mail: suilmann@cci.de
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/    49716 Meppen      | Telex:  98 676 cci d

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;

* Re: Ada Deutschland
@ 1994-10-13 12:29     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-10-13 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

this use of catholic, to mean universal, is of course quite legitimate,
but not very familiar to American English speakers.

IN the old Episcopal prayer book, there was a reference to "one holy
catholic and apostolic church", it is in the apostle's creed (I am not
sure whether that language survives into the most recent version of the
prayer book).

Naturally this surprises some Episcopaleans, and it has to be explained
here that catholic (ordinary english adjective with lower case c) simply
means universal, whereas the Catholic church (proper name, upper case C,
is QUITE a different matter, short for Roman Catholic -- which if you
think about the general meaning is a bit of a contradiction in terms :-)

Anyway, all those who believe in "the holy catholic and apostolic Ada"
keep up the crusade :-)

* catholic Ada (formerly: Ada Deutschland)
@ 1994-10-15 15:26       ` Anthony Gargaro
From: Anthony Gargaro @ 1994-10-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37j96o$p43@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>, dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

|> Anyway, all those who believe in "the holy catholic and apostolic Ada"
|> keep up the crusade :-)

It should be recalled that the Catholic church for several centuries mandated
a common liturgical language. (As mentioned in the 1982 AdaTEC Conference
Chair's introductory remarks, it was because the mandate had been relaxed some
years earlier that HHP J-P had not been invited to speak on the advantages of
a common language in managing a multi-national organisation.)

-- Anthony Gargaro                          E-Mail: abg@sei.cmu.edu --
-- SEI Resident Affiliate                   Tel No: 1 412.268.5780  --
-- Computer Sciences Corporation            Fax No: 1 412 268.5758  --