* Interface GNAT with Oracle
@ 1994-10-17 13:26 Jeff Etrick
From: Jeff Etrick @ 1994-10-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I am currently converting one of our applications to Ada9x using GNAT.
Has anyone tried interfacing GNAT with any databases (eg. Oracle)

Thanks,

Jeff

* Re: Interface GNAT with Oracle
@ 1994-10-19 13:23 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-10-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know anything specific about GNAT and ORACLE working together, but
an important thing to remember is that the GNAT calling sequence is exactly
the C calling sequence, and the GNAT datatypes correspond to the C
datatypes (e.g. int = integer, char = character). Access types and
address values in GNAT look like C pointers EXCEPT for access types for
unconstrained arrays, which are quite different, so avoid their use in
low level interface code.

* Re: Interface GNAT with Oracle
@ 1994-10-22  0:32 ` WLawton
From: WLawton @ 1994-10-22  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389@sphinx.CSS.GOV>, jeffe@sphinx.CSS.GOV (Jeff Etrick)
writes:

> I am currently converting one of our applications to Ada9x using GNAT.
>Has anyone tried interfacing GNAT with any databases (eg. Oracle)

I have spent the last two weeks attempting to discuss Ada-9x and GNAT with
the good (?) people at Oracle.  Out of three technical reps, four
salespeople, and two semi-managers, I found ONE who knew what Ada was.
That individual stated that Oracle was committed to compliance with the
latest standards.  He promptly faxed me three pages from the Pro*Ada
reference manuals identifying the various levels/standards of SQL that
Oracle supported.

Even this former Marine knows when to quit hitting his head against the
wall.

Does anyone else know of a DBMS that will operate with GNAT?  Preferably
with an existing Ada interface?
And SQL support, as long as I am dreaming?

Vendors feel free to reply.  Summary will be posted if I recieve more than
two responses.

Wayne R. Lawton

* Re: Interface GNAT with Oracle
@ 1994-10-24  0:12   ` Charles W. Kann
From: Charles W. Kann @ 1994-10-24  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

WLawton (wlawton@aol.com) wrote:
: In article <389@sphinx.CSS.GOV>, jeffe@sphinx.CSS.GOV (Jeff Etrick)
: writes:

: >
[...]

Any database which has a C interface should run with GNAT using the PRAGMA
IMPORT.  I know  you could do this with SYBASE, but it would take some
work.

--
chuck kann
ckann@seas.gwu.edu

* Re: Interface Ada with Oracle
@ 1994-10-26  2:49   ` Hoaglund
From: Hoaglund @ 1994-10-26  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389mi6$ql0@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, wlawton@aol.com (WLawton)
writes:
>I have spent the last two weeks attempting to discuss Ada-9x and GNAT
with
>the good (?) people at Oracle.  Out of three technical reps, four
>salespeople, and two semi-managers, I found ONE who knew what Ada was.

This whole thread is filling me with dread. I am on a new project that is
attempting a blind leap forward into using a commercial database (almost
certainly Oracle) instead of using our old mainframe based homegrown
FORTRAN database.  We have 1 Oracle expert who has never used Ada and a
bunch of former FORTRAN- now- Ada programmers who have never used a RDBMS.
 Now I hear that the tool we need to use to interface is going to come
from a place without decent Ada credentials???  Oh-oh!!

Is there anybody out there that has experience using Ada as the outside
shell to connect to a RDBMS inside?  The Oracle sales people talk a good
talk about Ada support, but do they really?  The initial limited
development system we have is Oracle, but the final decision is not in on
what will be delivered at the end.

Cathy Hoaglund  (not speaking for my employer)
hoaglund@aol.com

* Re: Interface GNAT with Oracle
@ 1994-10-28  5:21 Chris Bryden
From: Chris Bryden @ 1994-10-28  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <Cy71ny.5qx@ois.com>, beckwb@ois.com (R. William Beckwith) writes:

>WLawton (wlawton@aol.com) wrote:
>: In article <389@sphinx.CSS.GOV>, jeffe@sphinx.CSS.GOV (Jeff Etrick)
>: writes:
>
>: >
>: > I am currently converting one of our applications to Ada9x using GNAT.
>: >Has anyone tried interfacing GNAT with any databases (eg. Oracle)
>: >
>: I have spent the last two weeks attempting to discuss Ada-9x and GNAT with
>: the good (?) people at Oracle.  Out of three technical reps, four
>: salespeople, and two semi-managers, I found ONE who knew what Ada was.
>: That individual stated that Oracle was committed to compliance with the
>: latest standards.  He promptly faxed me three pages from the Pro*Ada
>: reference manuals identifying the various levels/standards of SQL that
>: Oracle supported.
>
>Sybase has an Ada Products Manager.  His name is Mitch Selbiger,
>mitch@sybase.com.
>
>: Even this former Marine knows when to quit hitting his head against the
>: wall.
>
>: Does anyone else know of a DBMS that will operate with GNAT?  Preferably
>: with an existing Ada interface?
>: And SQL support, as long as I am dreaming?
>
>No dreaming necessary.  We develop and support the Sybase's Ada bindings.
>We will have GNAT versions soon.  Check with the Mitch for details.
>
>: Vendors feel free to reply.  Summary will be posted if I recieve more than
>: two responses.
>
>Thanks for the invite.
>
>: Wayne R. Lawton
>
>... Bill
>
>--
>e-mail: Bill.Beckwith@ois.com       |    Team Ada
>Objective Interface Systems, Inc.   | dist, full O-O
>1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 250 | multithreading
>Reston, VA  22091-5448  U.S.A.      |    built in

USMC gu