* Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-11 23:33 William J. Thomas
From: William J. Thomas @ 2005-01-11 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?

ACT has not released a public version for what over two years now?

It seems like ACT went the "drug dealer" route, get them addicted by feeding
them free dope and then start bleeding them.

What's a one person ACT "maintenance" license go for these days >4K,
please!!!!

Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.

William J. Thomas

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-11 23:48 ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2005-01-11 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:

> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>
> ACT has not released a public version for what over two years now?
>
> It seems like ACT went the "drug dealer" route, get them addicted by feeding
> them free dope and then start bleeding them.
>
> What's a one person ACT "maintenance" license go for these days >4K,
> please!!!!
>
> Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.
>
> William J. Thomas

What's wrong with gcc 3.4.3?

- Mark Lorenzen

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-12  0:05   ` William J. Thomas
From: William J. Thomas @ 2005-01-12  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is GCC 3.4.3 the new GNAT? In other words what is it and where do you
download it from?

"Mark Lorenzen" <mark.lorenzen@ofir.dk> wrote in message
> "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>
>> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>>
>> ACT has not released a public version for what over two years now?
>>
>> It seems like ACT went the "drug dealer" route, get them addicted by
>> feeding
>> them free dope and then start bleeding them.
>>
>> What's a one person ACT "maintenance" license go for these days >4K,
>> please!!!!
>>
>> Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.
>>
>> William J. Thomas
>
> What's wrong with gcc 3.4.3?
>
> - Mark Lorenzen

* Isnt Gnat irrelevant ? ( was Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?)
@ 2005-01-12  1:33     ` israel t
From: israel t @ 2005-01-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:

> Is GCC 3.4.3 the new GNAT?
> In other words what is it

"GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection, includes front ends for C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Java,
and Ada, as well as libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...). "

> and where do you
> download it from?

The usual places...... :-)

Just type "emerge gcc " if you are using gentoo and portage will download , compile and install
it for you.

If you are on redhat download the rpm
Otherwise download and compile the tarball.

If all else fails go to:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html

* Re: Isnt Gnat irrelevant ? ( was Re: Will the World ever see something
@ 2005-01-12  4:32       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-01-12  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87k6qjqvhq.fsf_-_@kafka.homenet>, israel t <rambam@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> Just type "emerge gcc " if you are using gentoo and portage will download , compile and install
> it for you.

You might want to mention the operating system to which that instruction
pertains, because I am fairly certain it is not VMS.

* Re: Isnt Gnat irrelevant ? ( was Re: Will the World ever see something
@ 2005-01-12  4:58         ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2005-01-12  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:

> In article <87k6qjqvhq.fsf_-_@kafka.homenet>, israel t <rambam@bigpond.net.au> writes:
>
>> Just type "emerge gcc " if you are using gentoo and portage will download , compile and install
>> it for you.
>
> You might want to mention the operating system to which that instruction
> pertains, because I am fairly certain it is not VMS.

Gentoo is a Linux distribution.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Isnt Gnat irrelevant ? ( was Re: Will the World ever see something
@ 2005-01-12  6:13         ` israel t
From: israel t @ 2005-01-12  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-01-12  8:40 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-01-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:

> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?

Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???

> Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.

See the GCC project.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-12 10:18   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-01-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:
> "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>
>> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>
> Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???
>
>> Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.
>
> See the GCC project.

I think the original poster is looking for a pre-built release (and probably
for Windows) - as am I! :-)

I don't have the time to look into how to build a compiler - I just want to
use the thing...

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-12 14:52     ` Manuel Collado
From: Manuel Collado @ 2005-01-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

> Pascal Obry wrote:
>
>>"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>>
>>>What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>>
>>Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???
>>
>>>Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.
>>
>>See the GCC project.
>
> I think the original poster is looking for a pre-built release (and probably
> for Windows) - as am I! :-)
>
> I don't have the time to look into how to build a compiler - I just want to
> use the thing...

So:

Cygwin (for Windows) - http://cygwin.com/ - includes gcc-ada 3.3.1

Mingw (for Windows) - http://www.mingw.org/ - includes gcc-ada 3.4.2

DJGPP (for DOS/Windows) - http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ - includes
gcc-ada 3.4.3

All these distributions include binaries, sources and documentation.
--
To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
in the given address:  m.collado -> mcollado

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-12 17:22     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2005-01-12 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:18:32 +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:

> Pascal Obry wrote:
>> "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>>
>>> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>>
>> Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???
>>
>>> Well anyway, this ought to kick up some dust.
>>
>> See the GCC project.
>
> I think the original poster is looking for a pre-built release (and probably
> for Windows) - as am I! :-)

The state of GNAT for Win32 is better than the same for Linux. Mingw32
doesn't build on Linux, so cross compiler are out of the window, but it
does build on Win32, and it includes the tools that aren't included in the
equivalent GNAT under Linux, e.g. gnatmem, gnatprep.

Luke.

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-12 22:20   ` William J. Thomas
From: William J. Thomas @ 2005-01-12 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Obry" <pascal@obry.net> wrote in message

> "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>
>> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>
> Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???

I've been doing what I've been doing since 1983, developing systems in Ada.
The thing is I develop them for companies that don't have to compile their
compilers, they buy them, for lots of money :)

@ 2005-01-13 17:17 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

William J. Thomas wrote:

> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
>
> ACT has not released a public version for what over two years now?
>
> It seems like ACT went the "drug dealer" route, get them addicted by
> feeding them free dope and then start bleeding them.
>
> What's a one person ACT "maintenance" license go for these days >4K,
> please!!!!

Last time I asked there was ony a 5 developer licences.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Isnt Gnat irrelevant ? ( was Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?)
@ 2005-01-13 17:24       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: israel t

<verï¿œffentlicht & per Mail versendet>

israel t wrote:

> "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
>
>> Is GCC 3.4.3 the new GNAT?
>> In other words what is it
>

> "GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection, includes front ends for C, C++,
> Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and Ada, as well as libraries for these
> languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...). "
>
>> and where do you
>> download it from?
>
> The usual places...... :-)
>
> Just type "emerge gcc " if you are using gentoo and portage will download
> , compile and install it for you.

Could you add gentoo to

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Installing

just hit the edit button and write a few words about the gentoo release

@ 2005-01-13 17:26       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-13 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Collado

Manuel Collado wrote:

> Martin Dowie wrote:
>
>> Pascal Obry wrote:

>>>Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???

>>>See the GCC project.
>>
>> I think the original poster is looking for a pre-built release (and
>> probably for Windows) - as am I! :-)
>>
>> I don't have the time to look into how to build a compiler - I just want
>> to use the thing...
>
> So:
>
> Cygwin (for Windows) - http://cygwin.com/ - includes gcc-ada 3.3.1
>
> Mingw (for Windows) - http://www.mingw.org/ - includes gcc-ada 3.4.2
>
> DJGPP (for DOS/Windows) - http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ - includes
> gcc-ada 3.4.3

Could you add DJGPP to

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Installing

just hit the edit button and write a few words about it.

@ 2005-01-13 18:23     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-01-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:

> "Pascal Obry" <pascal@obry.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> writes:
> >
> >> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?
> >
> > Where were you this last monthes ? In another planet ???
>
> I've been doing what I've been doing since 1983, developing systems in Ada.
> The thing is I develop them for companies that don't have to compile their
> compilers, they buy them, for lots of money :)

No problem, but in this case do not step in sayings "What ever happend to this
whole concept of a free Ada compiler?"

It is there, period. Maybe you should ask something like:

  Where can I download an Ada compiler for my system ?

Your sentence above seemed to imply that something was really wrong :)

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Will the World ever see something beyond GNAT 3.15p?
@ 2005-01-14 16:02         ` Manuel Collado
From: Manuel Collado @ 2005-01-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> Manuel Collado wrote:
>>DJGPP (for DOS/Windows) - http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ - includes
>>gcc-ada 3.4.3
>
> Could you add DJGPP to
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Installing
>
> just hit the edit button and write a few words about it.

Done.
--

@ 2005-01-15 16:37 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-01-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William J. Thomas" <wjthomas@wcvt.com> wrote:

> What ever happend to this whole concept of a free Ada compiler?

I am writing a new Ada compiler, called ECLAT, that will be released under
the GPL. It will initially target the AdaOS native format (NEAI), but I hope
to get around to making it target COFF at some point. But don't hold your
breath; I'm afraid it will probably be many years before ECLAT is working.

--
Nick Roberts