From: DrPi <314@drpi.fr>
Subject: Re: Which GUI framework ?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 12:14:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 30/10/2020 à 10:52, Luke A. Guest a écrit :
> On 29/10/2020 18:48, DrPi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to create a PC (Windows) GUI program. This program needs to
>> be able to create many windows and tabs in one of them. A working
>> thread receive data from a serial line and send messages to the GUI to
>> print received content.
>>
>> I know the most common way is to use GtkAda. The problem is I'm a Ada
>> beginner and I never used Gkt. So, the effort is double.
>
> Gtk isn't all that pleasant either.
>
>> I have a quite good knowledge of wxWidgets since I use wxPython for
>> years. I thought I could use wxAda but is seems the project is dead.
>
> Yup, I agree that wxWidgets is much simpler as it was based on MFC, only
> portable.
>
> At this time wxAda is dead on my hdd right now and not going to be
> resurrected until I get some money coming in.
>

>> Any other binding to wxWidgets that I'm not aware of ?
>
> No, both efforts were abandoned as it was too much work. I have a start
> to a generator, but like I said, it's not happening right now.
>
> Luke.

Binding to C++ libraries is a problem.
In python world, there are many ways to achieve this.
If I remember well, the author of wxPython has written its own binding
system for version 3. Before version 3, he used a "standard" one but
with many manual patches.
PySide (Python binding for Qt) authors also have written their own
binding system after using one that was not fulfilling their needs.

It's a pity since I like wxWidgets way of working.