From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Which GUI framework ?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 20:23:55 +0100	[thread overview]

On 29/10/2020 19:48, DrPi wrote:

> I'd like to create a PC (Windows) GUI program. This program needs to be
> able to create many windows and tabs in one of them. A working thread
> receive data from a serial line and send messages to the GUI to print
> received content.
>
> I know the most common way is to use GtkAda. The problem is I'm a Ada
> beginner and I never used Gkt. So, the effort is double.
>
> I have a quite good knowledge of wxWidgets since I use wxPython for
> years. I thought I could use wxAda but is seems the project is dead.
>
> Any other binding to wxWidgets that I'm not aware of ?

If that is only Windows (are you serious?), you do not need any. Simply
use Windows GDI API directly. They are callable from Ada more or less
out of the box because Windows handles all objects internally as graphic
resources.

There is Win32Ada thin bindings, but it is incomplete and most of the
time you do not need it.

The Microsoft's way of defining and using types is so idiotic that no
reasonably usable thin Ada bindings are possible. I just declare an Ada
counterpart new as appropriate with parameters of types I want in order
to avoid casting types.

In short, Windows GDI is ugly but it is native and task-safe. (GtkAda is
neither)