From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Game programming in Ada (was: Where to find Ada GTK example programs to try?)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 02:38:03 +0200
Date: 2020-05-09T02:38:03+02:00	[thread overview]

> I would not classify computer games as GUI. And I would not start
> doing this from scratch in a GTK's drawable area! I did some 3D scene
> simulation in OpenGL about a quarter of century ago. That was no
> fun. Today you will need more than a human life span in order to catch
> up with modern 3D engines. Go for a ready to use stuff. Write Ada
> bindings if there is no any.

It is true that writing a high-quality 3D game is not feasible for a
single individual, especially not a beginner.  However it is still
possible to write 2D and pseudo-3D games and there are lots of tutorials
to help get started; almost all such games use SDL, so I'd encourage the
OP to look at that.

Like GTK, SDL was written in C for the explicit purpose of facilitating
bindings to higher-level languages and SDL has bindings for Ada and many
other languages.  Unfortunately no Ada-specific tutorials but plenty of
Pascal, Python, Lua etc. tutorials.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The game is all about high quality, stress management, openness,