From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Where to find Ada GTK example programs to try?
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 11:47:14 +0200
Date: 2020-05-09T11:47:14+02:00	[thread overview]

On 5/8/20 12:21 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> I'd like to try to make GUI with Ada. I assume the best
> choice is to use GTK?

It depends on your definition of "best". My experience with the GTKAda version
of Mine_Detector was that pretty much every time there was a new (minor) version
of GTKAda, my code had to change. I have since transitioned it to Gnoga, so I
don't know if that's still the case.

The GTKAda version of Mine_Detector is at

https://github.com/malaise/ada/tree/master/cots/mine

where Pascal Malaise has been keeping it working with recent versions of GTKAda,
and the Gnoga version is at

https://github.com/jrcarter/Mine_Detector

(select the "singleton" branch for a meaningful comparison). The GUI is in pkg
User_IF.

Which you prefer is largely a matter of taste. GTKAda provides your native look
and feel, while Gnoga provides your browser's look and feel; most people are
comfortable with both.

"You can never forget too much about C++."