* ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-14 20:11 olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I want to work with ASIS and can't figure how/where to start.

1. Is it possible to build an ASIS application using the Adacore GPL GNAT 2015 on windows?
2. Where do I find an example/tutorial and proper indications on how to make it work.
3. Anything I should know to get on the right track? Please be more verbose/specific than less, because right now the state of affairs concerning ASIS looks anemic if not plain misleading to me.

Thx,

olivier

p.s.1: At AdaCore website, ASIS readme file says: ASIS tools come pre-installed as part of the GNAT GPL distribution.

-Found nothing in the distribution that matches the keyword ASIS/asis.

p.s.2: At http://docs.adacore.com/asis-docs/asis_ug_8.html#SEC45: The subdirectory `tutorial' of the ASIS distribution contains a simple hands-on ASIS tutorial which may be useful in getting a quick start with ASIS

-Found nothing of the sort.

* Re: ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-14 21:31 ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok found how.

1. Install GNAT GPL 2015. http://libre.adacore.com/download/configurations#
2. Also, download the asis-gpl-2015-src.tar.gz file under GNAT Ada GPL 2015 -> Sources.
3. Un-archive the file. Follow the top-level readme. Works.

* Re: ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-14 23:42   ` Bob Duff
From: Bob Duff @ 2015-12-14 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

olivier.henley@gmail.com writes:

> Ok found how.
>
> 1. Install GNAT GPL 2015. http://libre.adacore.com/download/configurations#
> 2. Also, download the asis-gpl-2015-src.tar.gz file under GNAT Ada GPL 2015 -> Sources.
> 3. Un-archive the file. Follow the top-level readme. Works.

Glad to hear it.

As to your previous question:

> p.s.1: At AdaCore website, ASIS readme file says: ASIS tools come
> pre-installed as part of the GNAT GPL distribution.

The "ASIS tools" it's talking about are tools like gnatpp, gnatcheck,
gnat2xml, etc., which are based on ASIS.  These tools are indeed part of
the GNAT distribution.  ASIS itself is separate, and that's what you
need if you want to write your own ASIS tools.

- Bob

* Re: ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-15  7:42 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2015-12-15  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14/12/2015 21:11, olivier.henley@gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I want to work with ASIS and can't figure how/where to start.

Ptree is a small utility that comes with AdaControl and helps you
understand the ASIS view of an Ada program. Quite useful when you are
starting with ASIS, and studying the source of Ptree is a good way to
start, it is a quite simple use of ASIS.

If you want more sophisticated examples, you can study the code of
AdaControl itself, but be aware that it is one of the most demanding
applications for ASIS... Some rules are fairly simple, other need a deep
understanding of the Ada language itself.

<plug>And if this for business and not for hobby, you may want to
consider the tutoring and consultancy services that Adalog offers to
help you </plug>

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-15 17:26 ` olivier.henley
From: olivier.henley @ 2015-12-15 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you both for the feedback.

Nothing professional. Im looking into doing a basic IMGUI game editor that would leverage reflection provided by ASIS.

I still have to figure where it would sit in my app ... for my needs.

If anyone knows some piece of code that could inspire my "architectural research" I would like to know.

Thx.

Olivier

* Re: ASIS "housekeeping"
@ 2015-12-15 20:15   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2015-12-15 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 15 décembre 2015 à 08:42 +0100, J-P. Rosen a écrit :
> <plug>And if this for business and not for hobby, you may want to
> consider the tutoring and consultancy services that Adalog offers to
> help you </plug>

And an excellent one! Do not hesitate.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B