From: Optikos <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: work-in-progress Augusta Ada compiler for LLVM written in Scala
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:29:47 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-06-20T11:29:47-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 10:25:22 PM UTC-5, Optikos wrote:
> Why doesn't this work-in-progress unfinished Ada compiler come up in conversation here on c.l.a more often?  It seems to be in a state of active development with commits in recent months.
>
> https://github.com/pchapin/augusta

If Augusta proper (as opposed to the LGPLed SLEM library underneath Augusta) turns out to be licensed by a permissive license (or public domain), then the Apache2.0-licensed Scala Native compiler might be a technique to derive a nonGPL/nonRuntimeLibraryException open-source (or even closed-source) competitor to GNAT that targets LLVM (and hence usable on iOS Apple devices and likewise hence participate in Microsoft's ever-increasing embrace of Clang).  One could either:

1) compile Augusta via the Scala Native compiler to avoid being restricted to the pugnacious JVM bytecode, or

2) (via the Apache2.0 license on Scala Native, write a tree transducer-based generator of Ada source code equivalent from the Scala source code, as the multistage programming model (i.e., code generator of code generator of code generator) that curiously recurs in most compilers (including GNAT's GIMPLE tree-transducer).

https://github.com/scala-native/scala-native/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Perhaps this means that we should help Peter Chapin out some as co-contributors (beyond what effort he receives from his CS students, which seems focused on some of the test-suite source code for Augusta).