From: drupp@cs.washington.edu (Douglas Rupp)
Subject: Re: Magnavox consultant trashes Ada tools in IEEE Computer
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 23:30:02 GMT
Date: 1994-10-18T23:30:02+00:00	[thread overview]

tsorense@delphi.dasd.honeywell.com (TOM) writes:

> Hmmmm  Does SCO Unix run on top of DOS - I think a sixth grader could have
> figured that one out.  I move files from the VAX to the PC every day - it's
> not the tool's fault - they all use the DOS file system.  I think
> Mr.Skazinski missed the mark by saying that it was the Alsys compiler's
> fault, he should point the finger at himself or whoever decided on the
> platform.
Just to set the record straight, SCO Unix doesn't now, nor has it ever used
the DOS file system.  Long ago there was a file name length limitation of
(I think) 14 characters.  Release 3.2v4 (the current release is 3.2v4.2)
removed any such restrictions.

In this case, it is indeed the tool's fault.

As a long time user of Alsys Ada compilers on SCO Unix and HP 9000s
I would have to agree with one assessment made in the
original article.  The interaction of the compiler and tools with the
Unix environment on each of these machines is completely different.