* 'Cyclone', a safer C--reinventing the wheel
@ 2001-11-20 12:36 Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-11-20 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

So now scientists at Cornell have come up with a "a new computer
language designed to avoid unforeseen programming errors".

How?  "The Cyclone compiler identifies segments of code that could
eventually cause such problems using a 'type-checking engine'.  This
does not just look for specific strings of code, but analyses the code's
purpose and singles out conflicts known to be potentially dangerous."

The article is at
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991578.

I'm sure this is not just "C with constraint checking", but still, Ada's
"type-checking engine" has been getting exercised, optimized, and
verified for almost 20 years now.

You just shake your head sometimes...

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: 'Cyclone', a safer C--reinventing the wheel
@ 2001-11-20 18:37 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-11-20 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>

>Hmm, I'm getting fed up with posts like this.
>The frequency of posts like this has increased alot in recent
>months, and I'm sick of it.

You are right about the form - "C bashings" - and maybe that
Cyclone will help to improve things in areas where everything
is already programmed in C, and debug legacy code whose
programmers are maybe already dead (there are already pieces
of C code programmed 30 yers ago).

However the article is interesting in that it tends to
state that the only way to program systems is in C,
so to program safely, you have to "add security" to C.
"The idea is to take good security ideas from higher level
languages and implement them at a lower level", says a Cornell researcher.
It's their right, since they live
from this project.

But the journalist should take distance and propose to
compare the alternatives
  1. improve C with higher language ideas
  2. use the higher languages

(1. seems to me "un empl�tre sur une jambe de bois" <- french)
It's worth a feedback to New Scientist.
Surely the vast majority of programmers, who don't use C
or its derivates, will find the article fun.

* Re: 'Cyclone', a safer C--reinventing the wheel
@ 2001-11-20 23:29 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-11-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>From: "Marin David Condic"

>If you listen to the marketing weenies, you'd believe that Windows
>was something never before seen on this planet.

They are even able to sell Windows XP (2001) with the same arguments
as Windows 3.10 (1992): *now*, you can do multimedia, see pictures,...

>I think Computer Science would be better off without the hype.

      Computer Science
or
      Information Technology
?...

G.

* Re: 'Cyclone', a safer C--reinventing the wheel
@ 2001-11-22 13:33 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-11-22 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>

>"The idea is to take good security ideas from higher level languages
>and implement them at a lower level"

>That suggests they actually know about other languages, and they are
>trying to bring those ideas to C.  The Cyclone developers don't seem to be
>claiming that their ideas are new, or have never been a good
>thing; rather they are suggesting the opposite, C lacks some
>constructs which other languages have (which are good things) and
>they're trying to get those ideas across to C programmers.

Exactly, they don't claim to do better, and the aim is valuable,
e.g. to debug legacy C code: there will be more and more code where
the programmer(s) is/are no more living and where documentation
is lost.

More questionable is the lack of distance from the New Scientist
journalist's side, who doesn't suggest the existence of alternatives
for that problem - e.g. in some cases, it would be better to
reprogram in more modern languages than sticking to C. And...
will a "stronger C" be accepted by programmers if it has lost
its "quick & dirty" features ? Where is the tradeoff between
compatibility and security in that Cyclone ? That would be
interesting information.