* Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-10-30  2:07 Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-10-30  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Due to some company re-structuring I've been programming in C++ lately.  On
complex calculations I still write small test programs in Ada first, then
translate working logic to C++.  I have no question that it saves me time in
the long run.

Recently I have been doing a bunch of geometric transformations.  Matthew
Heaneys' implementation of Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays made my testing
a snap.

I just wanted to say thanks :-)

Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-10-30  4:31 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2004-10-30  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> writes:

> Recently I have been doing a bunch of geometric transformations.
> Matthew Heaneys' implementation of Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays
> made my testing a snap.
>
> I just wanted to say thanks :-)

Well, I'd love to accept your thanks, except that I don't think it was
me who wrote Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays.  I did write
Ada.Containers.*, but that's a separate subsystem.  Hmmm... Are you sure
you're not confusing me with Martin Dowie, perhaps?

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-10-30 16:51   ` John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2004-10-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Heaney <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uacu4kers.fsf@earthlink.net>...
> "Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > Recently I have been doing a bunch of geometric transformations.
> > Matthew Heaneys' implementation of Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays
> > made my testing a snap.
> >
> > I just wanted to say thanks :-)
>
> Well, I'd love to accept your thanks, except that I don't think it was
> me who wrote Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays.  I did write
> Ada.Containers.*, but that's a separate subsystem.  Hmmm... Are you sure
> you're not confusing me with Martin Dowie, perhaps?

I am able to help identify the source of Generic_Real_Arrays.  (At
least I know the source of *one* such library.)

I have a collection that has several numeric math packages, and one
from Drexel University contains Generic_Real_Arrays.Operations.

Now that I review this item, I discover that this package defines a
subprogram "Singular_Value_Decomposition".  By golly, that is the
answer to another recent posting as well!

You can acquire the Drexel U Matrix Math items from
http://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/research/ada/
They are marked:
-- Copyright (c) Drexel University, 1996                       --
-- Data Fusion Laboratory                                      --
-- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department              --
-- $AUTHORS: Chris Papademetrious, Xiaoxun Zhu, Moshe Kam

BTW I am just completing a library that is useful for programs that
want to perform IO operations for numeric applications.  I'll be
seeking a venue for making this stuff publicly available within the
next few days.  Suggestions and early-look testers welcome....

John

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-10-30 17:04     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2004-10-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Oct 2004 09:51:00 -0700, John Woodruff wrote:

> I am able to help identify the source of Generic_Real_Arrays.  (At
> least I know the source of *one* such library.)
>
> I have a collection that has several numeric math packages, and one
> from Drexel University contains Generic_Real_Arrays.Operations.
>
> Now that I review this item, I discover that this package defines a
> subprogram "Singular_Value_Decomposition".  By golly, that is the
> answer to another recent posting as well!
>
> You can acquire the Drexel U Matrix Math items from
> http://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/research/ada/
> They are marked:
> -- Copyright (c) Drexel University, 1996                       --
> -- Data Fusion Laboratory                                      --
> -- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department              --
> -- $AUTHORS: Chris Papademetrious, Xiaoxun Zhu, Moshe Kam
>
> BTW I am just completing a library that is useful for programs that
> want to perform IO operations for numeric applications.  I'll be
> seeking a venue for making this stuff publicly available within the
> next few days.  Suggestions and early-look testers welcome....

What about making an AI for Ada.Linear_Algebra?

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-10-30 22:12     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-10-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John Woodruff" <jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net> wrote in message
> You can acquire the Drexel U Matrix Math items from
> http://dflwww.ece.drexel.edu/research/ada/

That's an implementation of the now obsolete ISO standard  ISO/IEC
13813:1996(E).

The Ada0Y version, that John Barnes was responsible for, is based on this
but does have differences (not to mention that it now comes under the
"Ada.Numerics" standard package.

The implementation is available from
http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/

Glad someone is finding these useful :-)

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^hMartin Dowie!
@ 2004-11-01  1:05   ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-11-01  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Im a programmer.  Of course I'm confused ;-)

Thank you Martin.

Steve
(The Duck)

@ 2004-11-01  6:36     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-11-01  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Im a programmer.  Of course I'm confused ;-)
>
> Thank you Martin.

Steve (The Duck:-)!

You're more than welcome - I'm just glad to hear about these packages being
used! I have one PhD student in Australia making serious use of the
Ada.Directories packages and that's been a lot of fun helping him out.

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-11-02 11:55   ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2004-11-02 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Matthew, if Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays is based on Ada.Containers,
then by the unwritten laws of generic instantiation you are an author of
Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays. Next, world domination :-)

* Re: Thank you Matthew Heaney!
@ 2004-11-02 18:27     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-11-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marius Amado Alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> wrote in message
> Matthew, if Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays is based on Ada.Containers,
> then by the unwritten laws of generic instantiation you are an author of
> Ada.Numerics_Generic_Real_Arrays. Next, world domination :-)

Sorry - there are no containers in Ada.Numerics.Generic_Real_Arrays... :-)