* Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-06 15:32 Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Just an update to let you all know i've added gcc-9.2.0 support to free-ada. I've also added new packages.

https://github.com/Lucretia/free-ada

FYI, branches gcc-9.x and master are equivalent at this stage.

Luke.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-06 15:41 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2019-11-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:32:39 AM UTC-7, Lucretia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an update to let you all know i've added gcc-9.2.0 support to free-ada. I've also added new packages.
>
> https://github.com/Lucretia/free-ada
>
> FYI, branches gcc-9.x and master are equivalent at this stage.
>
> Luke.

Nice!
Thank you for the work.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-06 20:48 ` Azathoth Hastur
From: Azathoth Hastur @ 2019-11-06 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an update to let you all know i've added gcc-9.2.0 support to free-ada. I've also added new packages.
>
> https://github.com/Lucretia/free-ada
>
> FYI, branches gcc-9.x and master are equivalent at this stage.
>
> Luke.

work with gnoga.com?

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-06 20:56   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 20:48:35 UTC, Azathoth Hastur  wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:

> work with gnoga.com?

GNOGA is a library, Free-Ada is a toolchain.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-08  0:44     ` Azathoth Hastur
From: Azathoth Hastur @ 2019-11-08  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 3:56:06 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 20:48:35 UTC, Azathoth Hastur  wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
>
> > work with gnoga.com?
>
> GNOGA is a library, Free-Ada is a toolchain.

ok so with your package I should be able to run ada on freebsd 12?

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-08 10:53       ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-08 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 8 November 2019 00:44:02 UTC, Azathoth Hastur  wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 3:56:06 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 20:48:35 UTC, Azathoth Hastur  wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> >
> > > work with gnoga.com?
> >
> > GNOGA is a library, Free-Ada is a toolchain.
>
> ok so with your package I should be able to run ada on freebsd 12?

You can try it, it's not been tested. If there's not Ada compiler on your OS, you'll need to need to find one to bootstrap from, that's where the GNAT-GPL version comes in in the config.inc.sh.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-08 16:35         ` Azathoth Hastur
From: Azathoth Hastur @ 2019-11-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 5:53:02 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> On Friday, 8 November 2019 00:44:02 UTC, Azathoth Hastur  wrote:

> > > GNOGA is a library, Free-Ada is a toolchain.
> >
> > ok so with your package I should be able to run ada on freebsd 12?
>
> You can try it, it's not been tested. If there's not Ada compiler on your OS, you'll need to need to find one to bootstrap from, that's where the GNAT-GPL version comes in in the config.inc.sh.

i wonder if gcc 9.2 comes with it..

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-08 18:46 ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2019-11-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an update to let you all know i've added gcc-9.2.0 support to free-ada. I've also added new packages.
>
> https://github.com/Lucretia/free-ada
>
> FYI, branches gcc-9.x and master are equivalent at this stage.
>
> Luke.

Nice!  This looks like it only builds in Linux for now?  I saw some
references to msys in there, but they don't appear to always set the
same settings as other host systems.  I'm typically doing Ada
development from msys2 on Win10 64bit, so was curious about it.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-08 22:38   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-08 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:46:25 UTC, Jere  wrote:

> Nice!  This looks like it only builds in Linux for now?  I saw some
> references to msys in there, but they don't appear to always set the
> same settings as other host systems.  I'm typically doing Ada
> development from msys2 on Win10 64bit, so was curious about it.

Yeah, only developed and tested on Linux for now. The aim is to get it working for other platforms, but getting this far on one platform is hard enough.

Luckily, Linux kernel 5.3.7-gentoo, has a working VFIO with passthrough, the last (quite a) few revisions have been broken, so I have my Win10 and MacOS VM's working again, but don't expect anything much too soon.

But seeing as MacOS already has GCC/GNAT builds for it, that can wait, for now.

Is Mingw32 the way to go with an MSYS install? It's been years since I installed GCC on a Windows machine.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-09  3:19     ` Optikos
From: Optikos @ 2019-11-09  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 4:38:35 PM UTC-6, Lucretia wrote:
> Is Mingw32 the way to go with an MSYS install? It's been years since I installed GCC on a Windows
> machine.

MSYS2 with pacman package manager is considered state of the art nowadays.
https://www.msys2.org

2018-era tips for getting GCC for C++ installed on MSYS2 via pacman:
https://www.devdungeon.com/content/install-gcc-compiler-windows-msys2-cc

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-10  3:28     ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2019-11-10  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 5:38:35 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:46:25 UTC, Jere  wrote:
>
> > Nice!  This looks like it only builds in Linux for now?  I saw some
> > references to msys in there, but they don't appear to always set the
> > same settings as other host systems.  I'm typically doing Ada
> > development from msys2 on Win10 64bit, so was curious about it.
>
> Yeah, only developed and tested on Linux for now. The aim is to get it working for other platforms, but getting this far on one platform is hard enough.
>
> Luckily, Linux kernel 5.3.7-gentoo, has a working VFIO with passthrough, the last (quite a) few revisions have been broken, so I have my Win10 and MacOS VM's working again, but don't expect anything much too soon.
>
> But seeing as MacOS already has GCC/GNAT builds for it, that can wait, for now.
>
> Is Mingw32 the way to go with an MSYS install? It's been years since I installed GCC on a Windows machine.

Optikos covered where to get msys2 (it is the preferred now adays due to it
being 64bit).  What I generally do is:

1.  Install the necessary tools:
pacman -Sy make
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain

That should get everything.  If it doesn't get GNAT for some reason, then
search pacman for gcc-ada and install that package.

2.  Install GNAT community 2018 or newer.  There is no gprbuild in msys2
and sometimes it is hard to build.  By installing GNAT community, you
can get gprbuild.  I accomplish this by adding the bin directory for
GNAT Community to the *end* of the path.  This ensures using GCC uses
the msys version but gprbuild can still be used.

I was recently able to successfully build gprbuild for msys2, but I
would not recommend it to start out until you are comfortable with
the environment.

* Re: Free-Ada updated to GCC-9.x
@ 2019-11-10 12:41       ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-10 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 03:28:33 UTC, Jere  wrote:
> On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 5:38:35 PM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> > On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:46:25 UTC, Jere  wrote:
> >
> > > Nice!  This looks like it only builds in Linux for now?  I saw some
> > > references to msys in there, but they don't appear to always set the
> > > same settings as other host systems.  I'm typically doing Ada
> > > development from msys2 on Win10 64bit, so was curious about it.
> >
> > Yeah, only developed and tested on Linux for now. The aim is to get it working for other platforms, but getting this far on one platform is hard enough.
> >
> > Luckily, Linux kernel 5.3.7-gentoo, has a working VFIO with passthrough, the last (quite a) few revisions have been broken, so I have my Win10 and MacOS VM's working again, but don't expect anything much too soon.
> >
> > But seeing as MacOS already has GCC/GNAT builds for it, that can wait, for now.
> >
> > Is Mingw32 the way to go with an MSYS install? It's been years since I installed GCC on a Windows machine.
>
> Optikos covered where to get msys2 (it is the preferred now adays due to it
> being 64bit).  What I generally do is:
>
> 1.  Install the necessary tools:
> pacman -Sy make
> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
>
> That should get everything.  If it doesn't get GNAT for some reason, then
> search pacman for gcc-ada and install that package.
>
> 2.  Install GNAT community 2018 or newer.  There is no gprbuild in msys2
> and sometimes it is hard to build.  By installing GNAT community, you
> can get gprbuild.  I accomplish this by adding the bin directory for
> GNAT Community to the *end* of the path.  This ensures using GCC uses
> the msys version but gprbuild can still be used.
>
> I was recently able to successfully build gprbuild for msys2, but I
> would not recommend it to start out until you are comfortable with
> the environment.

I'm surprised they packaged gnat and not gprbuild.

To build gprbuild, you need to get the sources and xmlada and use the bootstrap.sh script. In free-ada, I then rebuild and package up both after bootstrap.

Once you have gprbuild, you can build the rest.

I built free-ada because Gentoo has nothing provided for Ada except ancient build scripts and they build a separate compiler, I did try to get some patches in for toolchain.eclass which builds gnat as part of the system compiler, which is preferable, but harder to get the patches merged.

Luke.