From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: elaboration circularity detected problem, How to fix?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:19:50 -0500
Date: 2004-09-20T16:19:50-05:00	[thread overview]

"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message
news:87oek027dd.fsf@deneb.enyo.de...
> > try building using the " -gnatE " option.
>
> Dynamic elaboration checks are never the best solution.  If the
> elaboration order can't be determined at compile-time, there is some
> significant design problem in the code.

I'd disagree with that. We had problems with static elaboration checks in
Claw, and the design of Claw is great. :-) :-) As I recall, the problems had
to do with operator symbols that would get used in default expressions
before the package could be elaborated. We had to put in a bunch of
Gnat-specific pragmas to eliminate the problems. Program_Error would never
be raised at runtime, and remember that you need -gnatE to conform to the
standard (dynamic elaboration checks is what the Standard requires).

Still, it's probably better to reorganize the code, because otherwise,
you'll forever have to tell people to use -gnatE (and that isn't fun,
especially as lots of people never read the documentation...)