From: MatthiasR <MatthiasR@invalid.invalid>
Subject: Re: Ada on STM32F7 - ARM7 discovery board with touch screen
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:35:36 +0100
Date: 2015-12-24T13:35:36+01:00	[thread overview]

H Keller wrote:

> Sorry, I mentioned that we will working on an ARM7 and that AdaCore offers
> only support for an ARM4. What may be misunderstanding here? Best regards
> Hubert Keller

Much confusion because of ARM's really confusing naming schemes...

1. There are ARM architectures:
ARMv1
ARMv2
ARMv7
ARMv8

2. There are ARM designs/families:
ARM1
ARM7
ARM9
ARM11
ARM Cortex-A (A8, A9, A5, A15, A7, A12, A17)
ARM Cortex-M (M0, M3, M4, M7)
ARM Cortex-R

ARM7 belongs to the ARMv3 architecture and was introduced more than 20 years
ago.
Your STM32F7 is not an ARM7, it's an ARM Cortex-M7!
Cortex-M3, -M4 and -M7 are all belonging to the ARMv7 architecture.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM-Architektur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

The Cortex-M7 is binary compatible to the -M4. It may be that the compiler
from Adacore doesn't include the latest and greatest optimizations for
Cortex-M7, but apart from that it should work out of the box. Support for
the STM32F7 EVAL board (not the DISCO board) is included in the runtime
delivered with the compiler. Adaption to the DISCO board should be
manageable.

The already mentioned 'svd2ada' project on Github is still work in progress.
Its aim is the auto-generation of register declarations, based on the
manufacturer-supplied CMSIS-SVD files. SVD files should exist for every
Cortex-M microcontroller (though the quality of these files is varying...)

Regards,

Matthias