* gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-13  3:10 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-06-13  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using GNAT Community 2018.

I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried

gprbuild -j8

But it's no faster, and Windows Task Manager says it's using only one processor.

Is this just broken on Windows?

Does using AdaCores "bash implemented in Ada" help?

--  Stephe

* Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-13  9:40 ` Egil H H
From: Egil H H @ 2019-06-13  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 5:10:04 AM UTC+2, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I'm using GNAT Community 2018.
>
> I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried
>
> gprbuild -j8
>
> But it's no faster, and Windows Task Manager says it's using only one processor.
>
> Is this just broken on Windows?
>
> Does using AdaCores "bash implemented in Ada" help?
>
> --  Stephe

As a test, you could try passing the parameter to the compiler in this way:
gprbuild -cargs -j8

--
~egilhh

* Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-13 15:47 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2019-06-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:10:02 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> declaimed the following:

>I'm using GNAT Community 2018.
>
>I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried

	How many .adb files make up that program? As I read the documentation

>gprbuild -j8

... mainly spawn separate compilers; for a single program it still uses a
single binder/linker process. If most of your time is in the binder/linker,
the option probably won't gain you much time.

	Even if it does help some, take into account that you will have process
startup time for each compiler that gets spawned, along with potential I/O
contention. If a lot of the .adb files are fairly small, the startup time
may be a significant factor.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-17  5:54 ` Fraser Wilson
From: Fraser Wilson @ 2019-06-17  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 05:10:04 UTC+2, Stephen Leake  wrote:
> I'm using GNAT Community 2018.
>
> I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried
>
> gprbuild -j8
>
> But it's no faster, and Windows Task Manager says it's using only one processor.
>
> Is this just broken on Windows?
>
> Does using AdaCores "bash implemented in Ada" help?
>
> --  Stephe

Is it just the main program?  -j builds separate sources in parallel, but won't help with individual files.

* Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-19 17:54   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-06-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 10:54:16 PM UTC-7, Fraser Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 June 2019 05:10:04 UTC+2, Stephen Leake  wrote:
> > I'm using GNAT Community 2018.
> >
> > I have a main program that takes an annoyingly long time to compile, so I tried
> >
> > gprbuild -j8
> >
> > But it's no faster, and Windows Task Manager says it's using only one processor.
> >
> > Is this just broken on Windows?
> >
> > Does using AdaCores "bash implemented in Ada" help?
> >
> > --  Stephe
>
> Is it just the main program?  -j builds separate sources in parallel, but won't help with individual files.

yes, that's it. The main program does lots of generic instantiation, so it's slow.

thanks.

* Re: gprbuild -j8 on Windows 8.1?
@ 2019-06-21 18:36     ` G. B.
From: G. B. @ 2019-06-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 10:54:16 PM UTC-7, Fraser Wilson wrote:
>>

>> Is it just the main program?  -j builds separate sources in parallel,
>> but won't help with individual files.
>
> yes, that's it. The main program does lots of generic instantiation, so it's slow.

Do the instances depend on runtime values for instantiation? If actuals are
static, factoring instantiations out to library units might make them
candidates for -j. But, of course, you know this.