From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Janus Ada 1.5 Ada cp/m manuals
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 18:27:56 -0500	[thread overview]

"Paul Rubin" <no.email@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:87v940mttd.fsf@nightsong.com...
> "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> writes:
>> it looks like the original documentation was printed on the NEC
>> Spinwriter...  The 3.3 update seems to have been printed on a lousy
>> dot matrix printer,
>
> Any idea of the total number of pages involved?  The Spinwriter text is
> quite readable and probably OCR-able, not counting the handwritten
> notes.  The dot matrix update would be more difficult.

I can't easily tell; the pages are numbered by chapter (2-3, 4-5, 8-4,
etc.). It's about 19 mm (using a ruler) of 24 lb paper (we printed these
things to last), including 4 heavy dividers. So it's probably not a huge
number. I guessed 200+ when I was trying to figure out how much time it
would take me to deal with it.) BTW, some of the pages have yellow
highlights as well. I don't think that would cause problems for an OCR, but
I don't know.

Note that a lot of the manual is a basic outline of Ada; the original manual
was created back in the early days of Ada when other material wasn't readily
available. But it also includes details and limitations on the various
features, which is interesting for a subset. So just skipping that material
isn't a great idea.