comp.lang.ada
* Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-26 19:59 Fernando Oleo Blanco
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-04-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Ada Monthly meeting

  A lot of programming languages and libraries have meetings/meetups
  which allow the community to come together and have a chat, share
  ideas, proposals and better utilise and prioritise resources. I
  would like to propose such a thing for Ada. Below is the rationale
  and some ideas and issues.

** Motivation

   The Ada community does not have many members when compared to other
   more-well-known communities. However, there is still some interest
   in having such type of meetings. This was recently made clear after
   some people pointed out they would like to have such a thing in the
   Ada channel over at Gitter.

   Personally, I have been playing with such idea and that is what
   motivated me to volunteer to drive the FOSDEM Ada devroom. I would
   like the Ada community to be more well-known and to have the same
   "resources" as other communities have. Meetups are a great way to
   have fun while discussing what we like.

   In meetups, generally speaking, users and developers can have the
   opportunity to come together, discuss topics, organise resources
   and help each other. Gray-beards can help those who still have
   colour in their hair; people with different sets of skills can
   propose solutions to problems that one may not have thought about;
   authors can present their work or improvements, etc.

   I would like to use the Fortran community as an example of what
   meetups can be used for. Here is their April monthly-meetup
   [1]. Their meetups are very focused on the language and "core"
   tooling... it is quite formal, which may not be what I had in mind,
   but we will see.

** Who is this meant for?

   Everybody who is interested.

   I would love to see some participation of the "Industrial users".
   But I understand that a lot of people see Ada (and many other
   things) as a tool that brings food to the table, nothig more. So I
   would not expect much participation of this group.

   Newbees and beginners are also more than welcome. They could see
   what people are doing and ask questions that are better answered in
   real-time by a person, instead of a Stackoverflow for example.

   Though, I must be honest, it is mostly intended for people who are
   interested in the Ada environment and open side of things. This is
   due to the nature of an open discussion and building a community. I
   have to be clear and state that I am biased towards the libre
   community, so feel free to point out any unfairness.

** How would it work? What would it be like?

   THIS IS JUST A PROPOSAL, SO TAKE THIS AS SUCH.

   I thought about having a Jitsi room (libre conference system that
   runs on your browser, same one used in FOSDEM) [2] where people can
   just join and take part of the meetup. Jitsi allows for moderation
   too, so that speakers can talk without getting interrupted and it
   has a built in chat too.

   So, what could be discussed? Here is a short list of ideas that I
   have:
   - Monthly news: new releases, milestones, etc.
   - Presentations: attendees may want to present their work or do a
     demonstration. They may also want to have a discussion about a
     specific topic (for example, the use of Ada 2022 features).
   - General libre software coordination: improvements to tools,
     feedback, questions, past goals discussion, etc
   - General Q&A related to Ada and open to everybody.
   - Finally, a beer.

   I think this could take place between 30 min to 2 hours, depending
   on the load of that day. Presentations would obviously be much more
   casual and easy when compared to an actual conference.

** Potential issues

   1. Not enough interest.
   2. Timezones! Users are mostly concentrated in Asia-Pacific/EU/USA,
      which makes coordination an absolute pain. A compromise could be
      found, or a different schedule each month in such a way that
      everybody benefits (and gets skrewed) equally.
   3. Organisation: there needs to be a main organiser and a second in
      command.
      1. There also needs to be a medium in which to spread the
         word. C.L.A is a good starting point, but may not reach the
         wider community. It could be announced everywhere every
         month, but that is a tedious task.

** Feedback

   I have probably said enough, even if not everything has been
   said. So I would like to ask for your feedback and specially know
   if you would be interested.

   Thank you for your time,
   Fer

** References

   [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
   [2] https://meet.jit.si/

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27  9:18 ` AdaMagica
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-04-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I try to open this site:
> [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
Zugriffsversuch auf:
https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.

Dangerous website blocked
This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to open this site.

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 10:34   ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2022-04-27 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would give it a try!

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 12:57 ` Anton F.
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anton F. @ 2022-04-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would participate, this is a great idea!

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-27 18:17   ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-04-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de>:

> Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I
> try to open this site:
> > [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
> Zugriffsversuch auf:
> https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich
> empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.
>
> Dangerous website blocked
> This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to
> open this site.

Hi Christ,

sorry to hear that. The webpage is a libre alternative frontend to
Youtube. Here is the link to the video in Youtube itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
As you can see the URI (I believe that is the technical term) is the
same, the only change is on the URL.

Danke für Ihre Antwort,
Fer

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-28 20:41     ` yossep Binyoum
From: yossep Binyoum @ 2022-04-28 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 27 avril 2022 à 18:17:36 UTC, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
> Am Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
> schrieb AdaMagica <christ-u...@t-online.de>:
> > Being in Germany, I get the warning from Norton (see below) when I
> > try to open this site:
> > > [1] https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> > Gefährliche Webseite blockiert
> > Zugriffsversuch auf:
> > https://invidious-us.kavin.rocks/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> > Dies ist eine bekannte gefährliche Webseite. Es wird ausdrücklich
> > empfohlen, diese Seite NICHT aufzurufen.
> >
> > Dangerous website blocked
> > This is a well-known dangerous website. Expressly recommended not to
> > open this site.
> Hi Christ,
>
> sorry to hear that. The webpage is a libre alternative frontend to
> Youtube. Here is the link to the video in Youtube itself
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_ll4f0gN8
> As you can see the URI (I believe that is the technical term) is the
> same, the only change is on the URL.
>
> Danke für Ihre Antwort,
> Fer
From Senegal, i totaly agree with you. I give it a try

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-29 14:38 ` Stéphane Rivière
From: Stéphane Rivière @ 2022-04-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great idea !

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-29 18:29 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-04-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:

> * Ada Monthly meeting

Sounds interesting. I maintain Emacs Ada mode; this might be a good
forum to get less formal feedback than the ada-mode mailing list
provides, and to hear what other IDEs are doing for Ada.

>       1. There also needs to be a medium in which to spread the
>          word. C.L.A is a good starting point, but may not reach the
>          wider community. It could be announced everywhere every
>          month, but that is a tedious task.

This sounds like a job for a bot; post the same announcement to a list
of channels.

Anyone have a bot written in Ada?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30  4:04   ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2022-04-30  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

пятница, 29 апреля 2022 г. в 21:29:55 UTC+3, Stephen Leake:

> This sounds like a job for a bot; post the same announcement to a list
> of channels.
>
> Anyone have a bot written in Ada?

I have a bot in Ada for Telegram. It is a bridge between Telegram, Jabber, IRC channel. It also checks telegram newcomers if they are not bot.

I can write another one for announcements, but I'm not sure if announcing once a month worth the time :)

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-30 13:57 ` Ada Forge
From: Ada Forge @ 2022-04-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 21:59:41 UTC+2, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
> * Ada Monthly meeting

Nice initiative !

Take me into account ;-)

Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
 * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)
 * OS system usage (as (system shell) scripts, in place of Perl, Python, …) : GNAT extensions ; Florist ; GnatColl ; SoWebIO; ...
 * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL
 * How let anyone collaborate to AdaForge’s new up-todate 2022 Ada resources gathered allover the internet ;-) Through GitHub ?

cheers, with a fresh Belgian Ada 10°
William

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 16:33   ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2022-04-30 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30/4/22 23:57, Ada Forge wrote:
> Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 21:59:41 UTC+2, Fernando Oleo Blanco a écrit :
>> * Ada Monthly meeting
>
> Nice initiative !
>
> Take me into account ;-)

    Agree. Count me in Fer :).

> Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
>   * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)
>   * OS system usage (as (system shell) scripts, in place of Perl, Python, …) : GNAT extensions ; Florist ; GnatColl ; SoWebIO; ...
>   * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL
>   * How let anyone collaborate to AdaForge’s new up-todate 2022 Ada resources gathered allover the internet ;-) Through GitHub ?
>
> cheers, with a fresh Belgian Ada 10°
> William

    If by 'OS system usage' you mean using Ada to write shell-like
scripts then you may be interested in aShell. It builds on Florist to
allow Ada applets to more easily call and interact with OS commands.

    The last release allowed OS commands to be called but only from a
single Ada task. Atm, work is being done on supporting task safe
commands (via a spawn manager).

    The next release will contain the task safe commands and be Alire
enabled, and should occur in the next month or so (Lady Ada willing).

Regards.

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 16:38     ` Ada Forge
       [not found]       ` <20220503210621.2090e778@linux.fritz.box>
From: Ada Forge @ 2022-04-30 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 30 avril 2022 à 18:33:49 UTC+2, roda...@gmail.com a écrit :
> The last release allowed OS commands to be called but only from a
> single Ada task. Atm, work is being done on supporting task safe
> commands (via a spawn manager).
>
> The next release will contain the task safe commands and be Alire
> enabled, and should occur in the next month or so (Lady Ada willing).

Great !
Thanks for the tip :-)
William

* Re: Ada Monthly Meeting proposal
@ 2022-04-30 17:01   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-04-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30/04/2022 14:57, Ada Forge wrote:

> Some subjects I’d love to debate with connoisseurs :
>   * UTF8-Unicode-UCS :  a lot of libraries are offering strings manipulation. State of the art ? (Gnat extensions, GnatColl, Matreska, Gnoga, ...)

>   * Windowing (2D) systems : future of GTK/Glade ; Qt6/Qt Design Studio ; GWindows ; Apple new SwiftUI MV paradigm ; wxWidgets ; Tk/TCL

Oh, I suppose I'll have to attend given I have experience with those.

@ 2022-09-01  8:35         ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2022-09-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

sorry for my silence, university has taken a toll on me. Anyhow, I am
now mostly finished with it. I sadly will not be able to prepare a
meetup as I am now will take a breather.

Maybe for October I will have some time. Otherwise, it will have to be
moved later.

Sorry for the delays and silence on my part.

Best regards,
Fer