From: "Jeffrey R.Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org.not>
Subject: Re: Please Share Ada -Freedos - Dos experiences
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 01:00:21 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2023-05-27 17:44, Hou Van Boere wrote:

> I am thinking about using FreeDos as a kind of RTOS. The application is to control scientific instruments so portability is a non-issue.
>
> Can you please share bits and pieces about running Ada on FreeDos(or MS DOS)

I used Ada (83) (Janus/Ada and Meridian Ada) on DOS PCs in the 80s and 90s. It
was much like writing command-line applications for Linux or Windows today. I
also did some low-level stuff, trapping key strokes and doing graphics. But if
you're thinking of using DOS as an RTOS then that's probably not very helpful
for you.

RR Software (rrsoftware.com) continues to sell an Ada-83 DOS compiler, and may
be able to provide an Ada-95 DOS compiler on request. Their prices are
reasonable: the personal edition of their Ada-95 Windows compiler is $195.

Or you could look at the MaRTE OS RTOS (https://marte.unican.es/) which is
written mostly in Ada and supports GNAT compilers. I don't know how that would
compare in terms of ease of getting things set up or developing S/W for it.

"Use recursive procedures for recursively-
defined data structures."
Elements of Programming Style