From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:31:59 +0100
Date: 2005-01-28T08:31:59+01:00	[thread overview]

Andrew Carroll wrote:

>> ------------------------------
>> From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
>> Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
> [snip]
>> > If
>> > not, where can I download *the newest*?
>>
>> cvs://:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc/gcc
>
> Hmmm, not looking good for a dialup user.  Ahh, maybe I should buy a
> commercial copy.  Anyone know if there is a commercial compiler that has
> the "experimental" Ada200Y features?

I had been a dial-up user for a while (Thanks to German Telecom using glass
fiber up to that magic last mile.). Its a one off effort - they don't
change to may files on update.

> [snip]
>> Well, I am looking for that one too. I did add some features
>> to the wiki
>> site:
>>
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada
>>
>> Prehaps we could start an Ada 2005 summary page there.
>>
>> Martin
>> ------------------------------
>
> I am willing to help with the wiki.  I don't know how much time I can
> spend
> on it and I'm not an expert with Ada yet but I'll do what I can.
> If 'we'
> want the summary to include examples then, again, I'll probably need a
> compiler to experiment with the new Ada200Y features.  At the moment I
> don't really feel like taking 20 hours or so to download the code and do
> the make.

Well with ISDN it was maybe 3 hours - remember to use "cvs -z9" to activate
compression. Textfile compress quite well.

> I don't think I have enough space left on this hard drive anyway
> (according to your Programing:Ada instructions).

current figures:

du -h -s gcc i686-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-suse-linux

344M    gcc
903M    i686-pc-linux-gnu
1,7G    x86_64-suse-linux

Now don't ask my why x86_64 takes twice the space. Of corse not many users
have 4 versions compiler (the two windows compiles are currently
"clean"ed).

> Also, if 'we' publish something to the wiki does it mean that I cannot use
> the information I submitted for the wiki to publish a book on the new
> features?  I mean if time is invested then why not publish a book?  That
> is of course if I had permission from everyone else involved in coming up
> with
> the new features.  Just a thought.

Ahh yes, I allways wanted to write a Book about programming. In fact I think
wiki is a good start.

As for legalities:  You can allways use your own contributions for whatever
you want. At least thats my impression. But then I live in continental
europe where we have "Urherberrecht" and not "Copyright". (One is the
rights of the Author the other the right to copy - important difference:
The rights of the Author cannot be taken away from you.)

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com