* Re: Student views on Ada
@ 1994-09-23 15:56 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1994-09-23 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: Student views on Ada
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

on Thu, 22 Sep 1994 10:17:16, Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> writes:

>Marin, front panel lights are for sissies! The first time I programmed
>an Incoterm terminal, I had to enter a boot loader from the keyboard
>one hex digit at a time, completely blind with no feedback of any kind
>at all. It took 600 keypresses to enter it. Now that's REAL programming :-)

Robert:

When I started programming, we only had punch cards and paper
tapes, (and we were damned glad to have 'em, too! ;-) Nowadays,
these kids think they've got it rough if they have to work with a
VT340 terminal instead of a workstation! In *my* youth, what we
wouldn't have given for a simple bootstrap ROM...

But then there were the *real* old timers who sneered on my
reliance on paper tape and hex keypads. In *their* time, they had
to program machines with plug-in breadboards and jumper-wires.
(and they were damned glad to have 'em, too! ;-) They could even
identify programs by how they *sounded* when the relays were
clicking. Front pannel lights and toggle switches? Us kids didn't
know how good we had it! :-)

BTW: Do you remember programming the old TI-58 calculators? Now
*there* was a sport for Real Programmers!

MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   4033121@MCIMAIL.COM
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without
    result."

        --  Winston Churchill

* Student views on Ada
@ 1994-09-07 14:01 Prof_Weber-Wulff
From: Prof_Weber-Wulff @ 1994-09-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

A collection of student comments on Ada (We use Ada as the first language):

- A 3rd semester student commented that he has both C++ and Ada at home,
  but that he uses (Meridian) Ada when he wants to get something done
  fast - because when he finally gets it to compile it's usually right,
  as opposed to C++...

- A 7th semester student looking over the shoulder of a 2nd semester student
  doing something whizzy with the Meridian graphics packages: "I can't
  believe you're doing that in Ada! I thought Ada was stupid and boring!"

- The students in our department have started a little newspaper (and
  asked for permission to do so, boy in my student days we just DID
  things like that!). The front page article was "ADA, oder was?", (Ada or
  what?) and included a pro and a contra position. The pro article felt
  that our insisting that Ada was too good a language to be left to the
  military was okay, and even went so far as to say that using the
  language strengthens ones sense of responsibility - doing what you
  think is right despite what every one else says. The contra article
  felt that using Ada legitimizes the US American war machine, the technial
  aspects of the language have no relevance. The writer suspects that since
  the DoD issues the standard [little knowledge has he of Ada9X!] corrupt
  officials could misuse their power to unimaginably evil ends... and closes
  with the call to reject Ada thereby setting onesself against the desire
  for power and unreasonability...

My comment to Meridian: I'm mad that they've stopped the student pricing
for the DOS Ada. For 69 marks (when we ordered a class set) the students
got an LRM and a compiler, and they used them at home. What better
advertising for the language and the company?!

--
Debora Weber-Wulff, Professorin fuer Softwaretechnik und Programmiersprachen
snail: Technische Fachhochschule Berlin, FB Informatik,