From: James Hopper <hopperj@dayton.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Verdix VADS ADA or GNU ADA on an SGI...
Date: 26 Sep 1994 17:11:00 GMT
Date: 1994-09-26T17:11:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1994Sep22.143838.388@mksol.dseg.ti.com> martin connor,
connor@mksol.dseg.ti.com writes:
>We are in the process of selecting an ADA compiler for an SGI
workstation.
>The engineers want VERIX VADS, the accountants want GNU ADA (based on
cost).
>Has anyone used either of these on an SGI workstation?  Does GNU ADA have
>tools, or support?  In the long run would the VERDIX ADA be a better
choice?

\x05Martin,

I havent managed to get gnat to run on our sgi as we have had diskspace
problems, but i use the sgi mp ada a lot.  there are a lot of bindings
to sgi libraries like gl, react ect that have to be added to a compiler
to make it useful on the sgi.  you might want to find out if such
bindings exist for gnat. Its not impossible to write your own i have
done this for some sgi libraries not currently supported by mp ada
such as asynch io, its just time consuming.

best jim