From: eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Verdix VADS ADA or GNU ADA on an SGI...
Date: 26 Sep 94 09:28:45
Date: 1994-09-26T09:28:45+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1994Sep22.143838.388@mksol.dseg.ti.com> connor@mksol.dseg.ti.com (martin connor) writes:

 > We are in the process of selecting an ADA compiler for an SGI workstation.
 > The engineers want VERIX VADS, the accountants want GNU ADA (based on cost).
 > Has anyone used either of these on an SGI workstation?  Does GNU ADA have
 > tools, or support?  In the long run would the VERDIX ADA be a better choice?

    Choose whichever one costs your company less in the long run.
Robert Dewar is setting up an organization (ACT) to provide GNAT
support, or you can allocate an individual in your company to do it.
The amount of effort involved will vary based on number of systems,
number of users, and sophistication.  You may even end up needing more
than one support person.

     When comparing costs, don't forget that you will need some
in-house support for VADS.  However Rational has been willing to
provide this kind of support on their products, so you may want to
consider Rational Rose/Ada if it is available for your platform and
you don't want to do your own support.

      In general, expect GNAT to cost least for low usage levels, VADS
will probably win for low hassle moderate usage, and suitability for
your needs will dominate support costs at the high-end.  i.e. Do
bindings exist to the database you want to use?  Does the compiler
support interfacing to the C compiler you want?  Extend the list at
will...

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;