From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: best ada integrated development environment
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:28:29 +0200
Date: 2004-09-23T10:28:29+02:00	[thread overview]

Phil wrote:

> Hi, i have been out of the ada stuff for a while and are just about to
> embark on a project to simulate a blackjack card game using ada.
>
> I spent a few days researching languages
> c/c++/pascal/python/java.....pro's and con's.....and chose ADA (yes i
> want the static type checking)
>
> About 10 Years ago i worked on a project on an embedded ada system on
> unix box's. at the time scripts were used to compile/bind all
> directories which had one package each in them - i did not set up the
> scripts. Everything was pretty manual. Rational was around then  but i
> did not use it.
>
> Right now I am running suse 9.1, i use KDE and have installed kdevelop
> 3.1, obviously have gnat on machine.

The hole 3.3.x series of GCC/GNAT combo is buggy. Either use GNAT a based on
GCC 2.8.x or one based in GCC 3.4.x. If you have Linux you should consider
compiling you own compiler.

> This is a hobby and hence i have
> no budget. this kdevelop

The best for Ada is GPS. Actually GPS is also good for small C and C++
projects where all that automake stuff is not needed.

You can either download GPS 1.4 or compile a 2.x version yourself.

For download see:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/

For DIY compiles see:

http://www.ada.krischik.com

Hint: Start with the download - even when they are quite old. They are
stable and don't make any problems.

With Regards

Martin
--