From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:20:26 -0600
Date: 2004-11-04T14:20:26-06:00	[thread overview]

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
news:2004110323220875249%david@bottoncom...
> - Product Announcements
>
> Perhaps a form that would output press releases and announcements for
> Ada product releases, releases of new versions of code packages for
> reuse, etc. It could automatically send out a message to CLA, a list
> that people could join off of AdaWorld, and perhaps Team-Ada. I realize
> that there is a list at Ada IC, but very sadly it is focused on
> supporting ARA vendors and not the Ada community as a whole (although
> certainly this does so on many levels, but not in the capacity at
> hand).

This description of what AdaIC does is not quite correct, so let me explain.
The AdaIC announcement list is a *filtered* list of announcements. We try to
run only things of wide-spread interest. I know I don't want to see press
releases about some company you've never heard of choosing someone's product
for a project, and I don't much care that version 3.1.8.7a of something is
now available, either. The vendor should use their customer mailing lists to
get that sort of information out.

So we only run announcements of *new* Ada-related products, *major*
conferences, and the like. Otherwise, the list would fill your mailbox with
enough useless junk that you'd start thinking it was spam.

Yes, we do give priority (and relax the filters a bit) for ARA vendor
articles. But the real problem is that hardly anyone sends us announcements,
and there is only so much that can be scavenged off of comp.lang.ada (and
that leads heavily to non-commercial stuff -- we want a balance). I've
probably missed a few announcements for new products/bindings/etc. here
(thinking that they were just another release, or forgetting about them
altogether); but it works better if you send them to us at
webmaster@adaic.com.

Another thing you should know is that the powers that be are planning a
redesign/refresh of the AdaIC site with the intent of increasing its Ada
Advocacy focus. I'm under orders to do as little as possible with the
current site (especially not page corrections) in order to not duplicate
effort (meaning that there won't be much new content beyond news and jobs
for a while). I have no idea what the ultimate result of that
redesign/refresh will be.