* AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-01  5:55 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-01  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The new AdaPower is quickly being filled up with the old contents and
the new (more than 250 links and articles already in and more to come -
I expect to have everything imported and up to date by end of week)!

So how do you find what you are looking for?

Simple, AdaPower now features a search box off the front page that will
instantly help you find the Package for reuse, code example or more
that you are looking for.

The new AdaPower.com - more power, more Ada, more coding excellence!

David Botton
http://www.adapower.com

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-01 23:54 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-11-01 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
> So how do you find what you are looking for?
>
> Simple, AdaPower now features a search box off the front page that will
> instantly help you find the Package for reuse, code example or more
> that you are looking for.

Of course, if you want to search all known Ada sites, including AdaPower
(and avoid all of the non-Ada stuff that pops up on general search engines),
you can use the Ada-wide search engine at
http://www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html.

(Apologies to anyone that had trouble with it last week; I accidentally
broke it during reindexing and part remained broken until a full reindexing
finished.)

                         Randy Brukardt, Technical Webmaster, adaic.com/.org

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-03 14:42   ` Jiri Navratil
From: Jiri Navratil @ 2004-11-03 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

V Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:54:59 -0600, Randy Brukardt napsal(a):

> "David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
>> So how do you find what you are looking for?
>>
>> Simple, AdaPower now features a search box off the front page that will
>> instantly help you find the Package for reuse, code example or more
>> that you are looking for.
>
> Of course, if you want to search all known Ada sites, including AdaPower
> (and avoid all of the non-Ada stuff that pops up on general search engines),
> you can use the Ada-wide search engine at
> http://www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html.
>
> (Apologies to anyone that had trouble with it last week; I accidentally
> broke it during reindexing and part remained broken until a full reindexing
> finished.)
>
>                          Randy Brukardt, Technical Webmaster, adaic.com/.org

Hi,

I very welcome any UPDATED sites about ADA. So thenk you both of you
for your sites / searching capatabilities.

BTW: I'm not able to find the c2ada source code. I'm always finally go to
a non existent page. I shall write a request for help to the news.

Jiri

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-03 15:30     ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2004-11-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Navratil a écrit :

> BTW: I'm not able to find the c2ada source code. I'm always finally go to
> a non existent page. I shall write a request for help to the news.

If you want it, just ask me in a private mail.

I kept this "temporarily", because it belongs to Tuck (but he lost track
of it), and should go to his website, but apparently Tuck is not yet ready.

I'd be very happy to hand this out to someone else who would make it
more prominently available. David, are you listening?

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-03 16:28       ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-11-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>If you want it, just ask me in a private mail.

>I kept this "temporarily", because it belongs to Tuck (but he lost track of
>it), and should go to his website, but apparently Tuck is not yet ready.

>I'd be very happy to hand this out to someone else who would make it more
>prominently available. David, are you listening?

I would also be able to host it on my website  http://www.adaworld.com

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-04  3:12       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-04  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, please e-mail it and I'll have it up pronto :-)

David@Botton.com

David Botton

On 2004-11-03 10:30:39 -0500, Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> said:

> I'd be very happy to hand this out to someone else who would make it
> more prominently available. David, are you listening?

* AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-04  4:22         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-04  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Stephane, not sure if this is the best place to discuss this, so I am
comfortable on the admin-list @ AdaPower.com or in private e-mails if
you prefer).

Some time back we got in to some discussion, but never really focused
on the different needs and roles our sites could serve to the community.

AdaPower has always had its main focus as being a practical "tool" for
Ada the language (it started as the Ada Source Code Treasury off my
home page and grew in to AdaPower), but not really on the Ada community
(sure it does a bit of that, but has never been "the" site for that). I
don't foresee that changing and in fact with the new design and some
future plans, I see it becoming even more focused on code, tutorials,
articles, etc.

In fact if I was going to do another site, I would add an Ada community
center, I would create something say called AdaWorld :-)

AdaWorld has already made strong head way in this regard. I would think
that we put our heads together on AdaWorld, much as you have done so
for AdaPower in the past and now, and push forward head strong in to it
(I am ready to put my money behind my mouth here so to speak an be part
of making this happen if you would like also) and make it both the
compliment and to some degree the umbrella in relationship to AdaPower
and other like sites.

Here is how I think AdaWorld can and should become the Ada Community
Site (perhaps you or others see more):

* Current events that relate to the Ada community

- Conferences / Call to papers

A fantastic list is currently kept up to date by Dirk Craeynest at
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/index.html That
list could be mirrored at AdaWorld and reach more people.

- Product Announcements

Perhaps a form that would output press releases and announcements for
Ada product releases, releases of new versions of code packages for
reuse, etc. It could automatically send out a message to CLA, a list
that people could join off of AdaWorld, and perhaps Team-Ada. I realize
that there is a list at Ada IC, but very sadly it is focused on
supporting ARA vendors and not the Ada community as a whole (although
certainly this does so on many levels, but not in the capacity at
hand). An AdaWorld open alternative for Ada PR stories / announcements
would be a welcome addition to the Ada World :-)

- Ada course announcements

There are courses being given on Ada even for free in various places.

For example, I am considering doing a series of live web cast tutorials
on Ada. Getting some others to do the same. A good community center
would be key to making this type of work a success.

* Ada Advocacy (in general and for the common man)

A center for collecting together much as AdaPower does for code and
packages, of advocacy information. There is tons of it spread thin all
over the net. While there are some Ada advocacy sites, they are fairly
centered on certain themes. Some oriented around dependability, others
coding readability, etc. etc. They also target varied markets. One
market not being focused on and should be a big part of this is the
common man, the application developer and the IT dude. The Big Linux
book goes a long way to reach out to the common man, but a solid
resource for Ada advocacy to non-critical engineering types is _very
badly_ needed!

* Community Guide (as a guided tour)

A step by step guide in a "tour" book format to getting started in the
Ada community.
Where to go for code for reuse.
Where to talk about Ada and get help.
The history of Ada
Where Ada is going and where it has been
Key things to try out in Ada that will make you want to stick with the language
and much more

* Cool Factor Factory

Ada needs to be cool. The very thing that has "killed" Ada can be what
makes it the biggest "turn on". When I find a good geeky high schooler
/ CS1er around that I want to convert to Ada, I tell him using Ada via
GNATCOM you can program missiles to fire from a word document (and that
is a fact!). I tell him stuff like:

Ada - Military Grade Programming!
If you can get it to compile man, you just about know its goin' to
work. Check this out (examples shown)

I am not going to sell the M$ generation on reality, damn M$ alread
made us believe bugs are features too :-) Vote for, Bug rights now!

If I could see straight (its getting late), I'd write more, but I think
the picture is clear as to the need for an Ada community site. AdaWorld
has already started to dance in that space, the other sites that exist
are too focused and/or not maintained. I think and would want to be
part of an AdaWorld taking the lead in this space.

My 2 dollars and 43 cents :-)

David Botton
http://www.adapower.com

* Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-04 11:28           ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-11-04 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

No problem discussing this here at all. :-).  If I'm gonna push towards a
community website, I might as well talk to the community no? :-).   See my
comments distributed (logically I hope)  in your post.

> (Stephane, not sure if this is the best place to discuss this, so I am
> comfortable on the admin-list @ AdaPower.com or in private e-mails if  you
> prefer).
>
> Some time back we got in to some discussion, but never really focused on
> the different needs and roles our sites could serve to the community.

*** I remember that, indeed we never went into details but we allready
seemed to agree that different websites should work together with other
websites instead of immitating them.  There should be no competition but
rather a synergy between existing websites.

> AdaPower has always had its main focus as being a practical "tool" for Ada
> the language (it started as the Ada Source Code Treasury off my home page
> and grew in to AdaPower), but not really on the Ada community (sure it
> does a bit of that, but has never been "the" site for that). I don't
> foresee that changing and in fact with the new design and some future
> plans, I see it becoming even more focused on code, tutorials, articles,
> etc.
>
> In fact if I was going to do another site, I would add an Ada community
> center, I would create something say called AdaWorld :-)

*** I like that name ;-).  When I started Ada World (coincidence? hehe) I
wanted it to be somewhat of a community center in a way yes, maybe even a
non regular date Ada Magazine (at the time I didn't want to abide to any
Volume/Issue dated release :-) to some point too.  I wanted people visiting
the website to get a good glimps at what's out there (the actively developed
projects as well as basically who's using it and why).  So yes a Community /
Magazine oriented website (with a bit of _______________ fill in the blank
to go and get interest from other programmers in other languages).

> AdaWorld has already made strong head way in this regard. I would think
> that we put our heads together on AdaWorld, much as you have done so for
> AdaPower in the past and now, and push forward head strong in to it (I am
> ready to put my money behind my mouth here so to speak an be part of
> making this happen if you would like also) and make it both the compliment
> and to some degree the umbrella in relationship to AdaPower and other like
> sites.

*** Two heads are definitaly better than one.  and I'm always open to
suggestions from you and anyone else that would like to see something
they're not seeing yet. :-).

> Here is how I think AdaWorld can and should become the Ada Community Site
> (perhaps you or others see more):
>
> * Current events that relate to the Ada community

*** This I've been thinking about already, a company that recently
discovered my website asked me to add their products in a "magazine" kind of
way about a week ago.  And that got me thinking in that direction.  Of
course not just for products, for anything that's going on :-).

> - Conferences / Call to papers

*** I guess this can go to my paragraph just above too :-).

> A fantastic list is currently kept up to date by Dirk Craeynest at
> http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/index.html That list
> could be mirrored at AdaWorld and reach more people.
>

> - Product Announcements

*** See?  I didn't read this one and I already answered it above ;-)

> Perhaps a form that would output press releases and announcements for Ada
> product releases, releases of new versions of code packages for reuse,
> etc. It could automatically send out a message to CLA, a list that people
> could join off of AdaWorld, and perhaps Team-Ada. I realize that there is
> a list at Ada IC, but very sadly it is focused on supporting ARA vendors
> and not the Ada community as a whole (although certainly this does so on
> many levels, but not in the capacity at hand). An AdaWorld open
> alternative for Ada PR stories / announcements would be a welcome addition
> to the Ada World :-)

*** Yeah, I see where you're getting here. I wasn't thinking exactly what to
put in, but I was thinking that something like that might be fun.  I was
about to start asking around get an idea if this kind of thing could have a
potential interest.  :-).  it just wasn't this detailed in my head yet ;-).
*it was late for you when you wrote this, it's way too early for me right
now, not enough caffeine running through my veins yet :-).

> - Ada course announcements
>

> There are courses being given on Ada even for free in various places.
>
> For example, I am considering doing a series of live web cast tutorials on
> Ada. Getting some others to do the same. A good community center would be
> key to making this type of work a success.

*** Indeed, same as for the products, services such as training, where and
when, would make sense :-).

> * Ada Advocacy (in general and for the common man)
>
> A center for collecting together much as AdaPower does for code and
> packages, of advocacy information. There is tons of it spread thin all
> over the net. While there are some Ada advocacy sites, they are fairly
> centered on certain themes. Some oriented around dependability, others
> coding readability, etc. etc. They also target varied markets. One market
> not being focused on and should be a big part of this is the common man,
> the application developer and the IT dude. The Big Linux book goes a long
> way to reach out to the common man, but a solid resource for Ada advocacy
> to non-critical engineering types is _very badly_ needed!

*** I haven't been in the Ada community long enough yet to notice what
you're saying here.  Other than if I'm looking for non targetted advocacy, I
haven't seen too many in my searches.  But I won't say I haven't seen any
:-).

> * Community Guide (as a guided tour)
>
> A step by step guide in a "tour" book format to getting started in the Ada
> community.
> Where to go for code for reuse.
> Where to talk about Ada and get help.
> The history of Ada
> Where Ada is going and where it has been
> Key things to try out in Ada that will make you want to stick with the
> language
> and much more
>

> * Cool Factor Factory
>
> Ada needs to be cool. The very thing that has "killed" Ada can be what
> makes it the biggest "turn on". When I find a good geeky high schooler /
> CS1er around that I want to convert to Ada, I tell him using Ada via
> GNATCOM you can program missiles to fire from a word document (and that is
> a fact!). I tell him stuff like:

*** I think Ada is cool ;-).  But yeah, I know what you mean here.  I've
been saying it for a while, but people have a "software engineering" point
of view of Ada. In a way they're right and that's what makes the strength of
Ada, readability too of course, and many more things.  GNAVI when completed
I think will definitaly help with the cool part.  Being Ada's reply to
Delphi, the outside world will havbe something they know (delphi) to compare
the reply (GNAVI)  And I think we need more this in and out of Ada to
compare Ada.

> Ada - Military Grade Programming!
> If you can get it to compile man, you just about know its goin' to work.
> Check this out (examples shown)
>
> I am not going to sell the M$ generation on reality, damn M$ alread made
> us believe bugs are features too :-) Vote for, Bug rights now!

*** Yeah, sure it's a blue screen, but you gotta admit, it's the best
looking blue ya ever saw, that was planned in the development right? ;-).

> If I could see straight (its getting late), I'd write more, but I think
> the picture is clear as to the need for an Ada community site. AdaWorld
> has already started to dance in that space, the other sites that exist are
> too focused and/or not maintained. I think and would want to be part of an
> AdaWorld taking the lead in this space.

*** There will be daylight tomorrow too, we got time to talk :-).  Me I'm
still waiting for daylight to start showing itself (early like I said). But
yeah, There's room for Ada World to grow.  And so far, what you said here,
even if it was late last night, fits Ada World's Futur plans pretty good.
So we can talk about here (maybe get opinions and ideas from people here) to
push us in the right direction and well then start walking ;-).

> My 2 dollars and 43 cents :-)

I'm canadian, so this was my 3 dollars and 69 cents :-).

> David Botton
> http://www.adapower.com

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: AdaPower Search
@ 2004-11-04 13:45       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-04 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-11-03 10:30:39 -0500, Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> said:

> I'd be very happy to hand this out to someone else who would make it
> more prominently available. David, are you listening?

Added to http://www.adapower.com

Packages for Reuse / Ada Utilities

David Botton

* Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-04 20:20           ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-11-04 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
> - Product Announcements
>
> Perhaps a form that would output press releases and announcements for
> Ada product releases, releases of new versions of code packages for
> reuse, etc. It could automatically send out a message to CLA, a list
> that people could join off of AdaWorld, and perhaps Team-Ada. I realize
> that there is a list at Ada IC, but very sadly it is focused on
> supporting ARA vendors and not the Ada community as a whole (although
> certainly this does so on many levels, but not in the capacity at
> hand).

This description of what AdaIC does is not quite correct, so let me explain.
The AdaIC announcement list is a *filtered* list of announcements. We try to
run only things of wide-spread interest. I know I don't want to see press
releases about some company you've never heard of choosing someone's product
for a project, and I don't much care that version 3.1.8.7a of something is
now available, either. The vendor should use their customer mailing lists to
get that sort of information out.

So we only run announcements of *new* Ada-related products, *major*
conferences, and the like. Otherwise, the list would fill your mailbox with
enough useless junk that you'd start thinking it was spam.

Yes, we do give priority (and relax the filters a bit) for ARA vendor
articles. But the real problem is that hardly anyone sends us announcements,
and there is only so much that can be scavenged off of comp.lang.ada (and
that leads heavily to non-commercial stuff -- we want a balance). I've
probably missed a few announcements for new products/bindings/etc. here
(thinking that they were just another release, or forgetting about them
altogether); but it works better if you send them to us at
webmaster@adaic.com.

Another thing you should know is that the powers that be are planning a
redesign/refresh of the AdaIC site with the intent of increasing its Ada
Advocacy focus. I'm under orders to do as little as possible with the
current site (especially not page corrections) in order to not duplicate
effort (meaning that there won't be much new content beyond news and jobs
for a while). I have no idea what the ultimate result of that
redesign/refresh will be.

* Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-05 23:51             ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2004-11-05 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<unoid.721$du1.570@trndny02>...

> "David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message

> > Here is how I think AdaWorld can and should become the Ada Community Site
> > (perhaps you or others see more):
> >
> > * Current events that relate to the Ada community

> *** This I've been thinking about already, a company that recently
> discovered my website asked me to add their products in a "magazine" kind of
> way about a week ago.  And that got me thinking in that direction.  Of
> course not just for products, for anything that's going on :-).
> >

> > - Product Announcements
> >
> > Perhaps a form that would output press releases and announcements for Ada
> > product releases, releases of new versions of code packages for reuse,
> > etc. It could automatically send out a message to CLA, a list that people
> > could join off of AdaWorld, and perhaps Team-Ada. I realize that there is
> > a list at Ada IC, but very sadly it is focused on supporting ARA vendors
> > and not the Ada community as a whole (although certainly this does so on
> > many levels, but not in the capacity at hand). An AdaWorld open
> > alternative for Ada PR stories / announcements would be a welcome addition
> > to the Ada World :-)
> >
> *** Yeah, I see where you're getting here. I wasn't thinking exactly what to
> put in, but I was thinking that something like that might be fun.  I was
> about to start asking around get an idea if this kind of thing could have a
> potential interest.  :-).  it just wasn't this detailed in my head yet ;-).
> *it was late for you when you wrote this, it's way too early for me right
> now, not enough caffeine running through my veins yet :-).

May I make a suggestion instead of just product announcements is there
any way to add reviews to the products. I thinking something like a
article that compares and contrasts the new product with existing
products.  What would be also be helpful is if there were a way for
current users to add their opinions to the end of the article.  I am
probably dreaming in technocolor but could the articles also include
the prices of the products.

Along the same line is there a way to get an article written that
discusses all the major products in an product field. What I am
thinking is an article that compares the major strengths and
weaknesses for example of the ten most used Ada IDEs( including their
compilers). Something like what CNET does when it compares groups of
products. User feedback would also be useful here.

If you did both the reviews of all the products and major evalution it
would very helpful in showing the new comers how the products are
actually evaluated.  Another benefit would be to make it easier to
find the lesser known but great products; because, they have a great
possibility of being mentioned by users who are giving their opinions
about the reviewed products.

> > * Community Guide (as a guided tour)
> >
> > A step by step guide in a "tour" book format to getting started in the Ada
> > community.
> > Where to go for code for reuse.
> > Where to talk about Ada and get help.
> > The history of Ada
> > Where Ada is going and where it has been
> > Key things to try out in Ada that will make you want to stick with the
> > language
> > and much more

Here I have a suggestion also how about articles by developers in the
field.  For instance, I would find it very interesting to see what
programmers in the scientific and engineering arenas have to say about
products needed or desired for doing numerical programming. Why were
the particular IDEs and other programs used or desired. For also, I
would like to see the opinions of the readers of the articles
included.

> > * Cool Factor Factory
> >
> > Ada needs to be cool. The very thing that has "killed" Ada can be what
> > makes it the biggest "turn on". When I find a good geeky high schooler /
> > CS1er around that I want to convert to Ada, I tell him using Ada via
> > GNATCOM you can program missiles to fire from a word document (and that is
> > a fact!). I tell him stuff like:
> >
> *** I think Ada is cool ;-).  But yeah, I know what you mean here.  I've
> been saying it for a while, but people have a "software engineering" point
> of view of Ada. In a way they're right and that's what makes the strength of
> Ada, readability too of course, and many more things.  GNAVI when completed
> I think will definitaly help with the cool part.  Being Ada's reply to
> Delphi, the outside world will havbe something they know (delphi) to compare
> the reply (GNAVI)  And I think we need more this in and out of Ada to
> compare Ada.
>
> > Ada - Military Grade Programming!
> > If you can get it to compile man, you just about know its goin' to work.
> > Check this out (examples shown)
> >
> > I am not going to sell the M$ generation on reality, damn M$ alread made
> > us believe bugs are features too :-) Vote for, Bug rights now!
> >
> *** Yeah, sure it's a blue screen, but you gotta admit, it's the best
> looking blue ya ever saw, that was planned in the development right? ;-).
>
> > If I could see straight (its getting late), I'd write more, but I think
> > the picture is clear as to the need for an Ada community site. AdaWorld
> > has already started to dance in that space, the other sites that exist are
> > too focused and/or not maintained. I think and would want to be part of an
> > AdaWorld taking the lead in this space.
> >
> *** There will be daylight tomorrow too, we got time to talk :-).  Me I'm
> still waiting for daylight to start showing itself (early like I said). But
> yeah, There's room for Ada World to grow.  And so far, what you said here,
> even if it was late last night, fits Ada World's Futur plans pretty good.
> So we can talk about here (maybe get opinions and ideas from people here) to
> push us in the right direction and well then start walking ;-).
>
> > My 2 dollars and 43 cents :-)
> >
> I'm canadian, so this was my 3 dollars and 69 cents :-).
>
> > David Botton
> > http://www.adapower.com
> >

> Stephane Richard
> "Ada World" webmaster
> http://www.adaworld.com

Just an another Canadian's opinions,
tom

* Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-06  0:41               ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-11-06  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tom" <8f27iw6z@canada.com> wrote in message

> May I make a suggestion instead of just product announcements is there
> any way to add reviews to the products. I thinking something like a
> article that compares and contrasts the new product with existing
> products.  What would be also be helpful is if there were a way for
> current users to add their opinions to the end of the article.  I am
> probably dreaming in technocolor but could the articles also include
> the prices of the products.

*** That's a very interesting suggestion Tom.  I can definitally see it
happening too. As far as the prices, well I wouldn't mind showing them, but
as long as visitors recognize that the prices shown are valid for that time
/ date the article was written :-).  not sure I'd wanna run back throught
the articles to update prices :-).

> Along the same line is there a way to get an article written that
> discusses all the major products in an product field. What I am
> thinking is an article that compares the major strengths and
> weaknesses for example of the ten most used Ada IDEs( including their
> compilers). Something like what CNET does when it compares groups of
> products. User feedback would also be useful here.

*** you mean comparison charts?  Columnized data for quick comparison of
features/capacities?  That will require research, but I know I'd like that
(even if it's not what you meant :-) but yeah I see your point of view.  as
in:  "Hey I need something that does this or that, which one offers
more/less/fastest etc etc." in a quickly readable format.

> If you did both the reviews of all the products and major evalution it
> would very helpful in showing the new comers how the products are
> actually evaluated.  Another benefit would be to make it easier to
> find the lesser known but great products; because, they have a great
> possibility of being mentioned by users who are giving their opinions
> about the reviewed products.

*** I aim more than the newcomer.  I want to go get the non newcomer too if
it can be said that way :-).  I want anyone that happens to come visit Ada
World to say hey, what's this all about?  and actually be able to answer
that question.  I think these two would definitaly help in answering these
questions and although they would represent research, it's a small
investment to make to mark up the quality of what they can find on Ada
World, and I'm ready to comit myself to it.

> Here I have a suggestion also how about articles by developers in the
> field.  For instance, I would find it very interesting to see what
> programmers in the scientific and engineering arenas have to say about
> products needed or desired for doing numerical programming. Why were
> the particular IDEs and other programs used or desired. For also, I
> would like to see the opinions of the readers of the articles
> included.

*** This is not that hard to accomplish, today's most popular CMS systems
already are setup with Articles and comments/reviews already in place.I do
like the industry specific point of view approach idea.  It's definitaly
noted in big characters (bold, italic and underlined ;-) on my "to consider"
list. If I have anything to say about it, it should be there...Wait a
minute, it's my website.  I do have something to say about it ;-) I hope
hehe...but yeah seriously, I like the industry specific areas like that.
Definitaly.

Those are excellent suggestions and as I write this reply I can tell you
that they are already thrown on the discussion table :-).  Thank you and
feel free to suggest more.  That goes for everyone reading this too ;-).

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: AdaWorld and AdaPower
@ 2004-11-07  0:33               ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-07  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-11-05 18:51:34 -0500, 8f27iw6z@canada.com (Tom) said:

> May I make a suggestion instead of just product announcements is there
> any way to add reviews to the products.

I think that is an amazing idea.

>  I thinking something like a
> article that compares and contrasts the new product with existing
> products.  What would be also be helpful is if there were a way for
> current users to add their opinions to the end of the article.  I am
> probably dreaming in technocolor but could the articles also include
> the prices of the products.

I already have software written for that in PHP that I can offer to
Richard (AdaWorld) for this.

> Along the same line is there a way to get an article written that
> discusses all the major products in an product field. What I am
> thinking is an article that compares the major strengths and
> weaknesses for example of the ten most used Ada IDEs( including their
> compilers). Something like what CNET does when it compares groups of
> products. User feedback would also be useful here.

Coolness

> If you did both the reviews of all the products and major evalution it
> would very helpful in showing the new comers how the products are
> actually evaluated.  Another benefit would be to make it easier to
> find the lesser known but great products; because, they have a great
> possibility of being mentioned by users who are giving their opinions
> about the reviewed products.

Agreed.

David Botton