* “The Machine” and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 12:50 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-06-21 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new computer
architecture by Hewlett Packard):

http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/

We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
both projects.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: "The Machine" and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 14:16 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-06-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:50:18 AM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new computer
> architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>
> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>
> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
> both projects.

Yes, this!  Ada needs a reason to expand.  Ada needs new special sauces (that are easy to use correctly, as opposed to the trajectory that C++ is on).

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 17:31 ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-06-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/2014 13:50, in article lo3v28$tc4$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:

> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new computer
> architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>
> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>
> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
> both projects.

"Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."

Still broadcasting your bigotry via c.l.a.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 19:43   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-06-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay wrote:

> On 21/06/2014 13:50, in article lo3v28$tc4$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
> Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:
>
>> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new
>> computer architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>>
>> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>>
>> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
>> both projects.
>
> "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."
>
> Still broadcasting your bigotry via c.l.a.

Moreover I also discriminate and insult people affected by diabetes, because
I openly say that diabetes is a pathology :-)

--

@ 2014-06-21 20:49     ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-06-21 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/2014 20:43, in article lo4n8q$349$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:

> Bill Findlay wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/2014 13:50, in article lo3v28$tc4$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
>> Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new
>>> computer architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>>>
>>> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>>>
>>> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
>>> both projects.
>>
>> "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."
>>
>> Still broadcasting your bigotry via c.l.a.
>
> Moreover I also discriminate and insult people affected by diabetes, because
> I openly say that diabetes is a pathology :-)

No, that is not an insult, because it is true,
unlike the rest of your demented rantings.

Nor is it funny, and no amount of smileys will make
your naked antagonism amusing, let alone acceptable.

Stop using c.l.a for anti-gay religious propaganda.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 21:47       ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-06-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay wrote:

> On 21/06/2014 20:43, in article lo4n8q$349$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
> Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:
>
>> Bill Findlay wrote:

>>> "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."
>>>
>>> Still broadcasting your bigotry via c.l.a.
>>
>> Moreover I also discriminate and insult people affected by diabetes,
>> because I openly say that diabetes is a pathology :-)
>
> No, that is not an insult, because it is true,
> unlike the rest of your demented rantings.
>
> Nor is it funny, and no amount of smileys will make
> your naked antagonism amusing, let alone acceptable.
>
> Stop using c.l.a for anti-gay religious propaganda.

Why do you keep opposing me?

The only reason you may do it, is to weaken my success in this world.
Success of a person in the world is defined as the amount of good he does
for others.

But my final purpose is not success in this world (such as advancement of
Ada technologies or publishing my math research), because Bible says "Don't
love the world, neither the things that are in the world".

So you oppose me in vain.

Bill, you are very much intolerant to intolerant people. Should you be
intolerant to yourself? You'll die of a burst of intolerance inside you.

--

@ 2014-06-21 21:49       ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-06-21 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:49:46 PM UTC-5, Bill Findlay wrote:
> On 21/06/2014 20:43, "Victor Porton" wrote:
> > Bill Findlay wrote:
> >> "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."
> >> Still broadcasting your bigotry via c.l.a.
>
> > Moreover I also discriminate and insult people affected by diabetes, because
> > I openly say that diabetes is a pathology :-)
>
> No, that is not an insult, because it is true,
> unlike the rest of your demented rantings.

Although I don't appreciate Mr. Findlay polluting c.l.a itself with off-topic postings in response to Victor's Ada-only postings, I do agree with Mr. Findlay on this:  Victor, nearly all of the content related to your internal spirituality (e.g., http://endofgospel.org/online/realsuperman.xhtml) is quite bizarre and, to use Mr. Findlay's term, demented.  You do yourself no favors providing a series of URLs to surf from serious & rational & well-reasoned Ada content to your highly-not-mainstream religious/inner-spiritual views.  This matter would be quite different if, for example, you limited your personal webpage to merely, say, a link to, say, membership in the Russian Orthodox Church.  If someone then via Bing or Google search were to independently seek out the centuries-old Russian Orthodox doctrine on homosexuality and were to vigorously disagree with it, you could retort that your devout Christianity is being persecuted.  Or equivalently, one person's perceived social justice would be the perceived social injustice against another person and vice versa, which would be a moral stalemate of one category of human-rights versus another category of human-rights.  But your highly-not-mainstream religious/inner-spriritual writings seem to not easily avail themselves of that path of erudite reasoning.

Mr. Porton, do you really need to hyperlink all 4 (capitalized) substantially-distinct website-contents together?  It does seem as though you intend some nonreligiously-focused readers to surf over to your religious content who would otherwise not do so.
1) http://PORTONSOFT.wordpress.com
1.1) http://PORTONSOFT.wordpress.com/about
2) http://FREESOFT.portonvictor.org
3) http://PORTONVICTOR.org
4) http://ENDOFGOSPEL.wordpress.com

Conversely, Mr. Findlay, surfing Mr. Porton's 5 levels of indirection is far more discrete than your own off-topic postings directly on c.l.a that pollute what otherwise would be 100% technical discussions.  It is not like Mr. Porton is putting his religious views (or even a URL thereto) into his signature file.

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 22:27         ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-06-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/2014 22:47, in article lo4ugv$m1j$1@speranza.aioe.org, "Victor
Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote:

> Why do you keep opposing me?

Because what you are doing is wrong and provides support to the world-wide
oppression of gay people, not stopping short of imprisonment, torture,
lynching and judicial murder.

> The only reason you may do it, is to weaken my success in this world.
> Success of a person in the world is defined as the amount of good he does
> for others.

You are utterly delusional. See above.

> Bill, you are very much intolerant to intolerant people.

I am intolerant of /ideas/ that demean me, and put me and others in danger.
You seem proud to promote such wickedness.
Your boasted-of "success" in doing good for others is remarkable entirely
for its absence.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-21 22:28         ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-06-21 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/2014 22:49, in article
c2d96556-f6bc-46fa-875d-275c35b3d7bf@googlegroups.com, "Dan'l Miller"
<optikos@verizon.net> wrote:

> Conversely, Mr. Findlay, surfing Mr. Porton's 5 levels of indirection is far
> more discrete than your own off-topic postings directly
> on c.l.a that pollute what otherwise would be 100% technical discussions.

I will cease to post (not pollute) to c.l.a my demand that Porton stop using
it for anti-gay propaganda, just as soon as he does so.  His actions are
using c.l.a to promote an ideology that constitutes a clear and present to
danger to millions across the world.  Putting an end to even a very trivial
part of that is more important than causing a minor inconvenience to other
c.l.a users (which I sincerely regret being necessary).

> It is not like Mr. Porton is putting his religious views
> (or even a URL thereto) into his signature file.

He is putting an invitation to peruse them into c.l.a, and via the www out
into the wider world.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-22  8:50         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2014-06-22  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/14 23:47, Victor Porton wrote:
> Success of a person in the world is defined as the amount of good he does
> for others.

Is anyone still falling for these "arguments"?

Anyway, we finally have a case which makes Godwin's law factually
applicable in view of a person successfully leading and, since
he was elected by a majority of many millions, doing good---some he
led here, many others there---until 1945.

If a missionary has "reason" to not listen to admonishment,
only the "arguments" need some attention, not the person.

__
"We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance,
the right to not tolerate the intolerant."  -- K. Popper

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-22  9:59           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-06-22  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could we keep this out of c.l.a?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:50:57 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

[...]
> ---
> "We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance,
> the right to not tolerate the intolerant."  -- K. Popper

... and it is up to the Inner Party's Political Bureau to designate those
intolerant ...

---
"I decide who is a Jew" -- Hermann Goering / Karl Lueger

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-22 12:32           ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-06-22 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/2014 09:50, in article
53a698f1$0$6607$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net, "Georg Bauhaus"
<rm-host.bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de> wrote:

> If a missionary has "reason" to not listen to admonishment,
> only the "arguments" need some attention, not the person.
>
> __
> "We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance,
> the right to not tolerate the intolerant."  -- K. Popper

Perfect.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ?The Machine? and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-22 16:08 ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2014-06-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-06-21 12:50:18 +0000, Victor Porton said:

> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new computer
> architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>
> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>
> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
> both projects.

I really disagree with the idea that HP should acquire Ada Core.

* Re: ?The Machine? and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-06-22 17:25   ` invalid
From: invalid @ 2014-06-22 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed. HP has proven over and over the "new" HP can run any solid
technology into the ground and destroy perfectly viable software and
hardware ecosystems and acquired companies in no time at all. HP should
stick to printers and _maybe_ fax machines.

@ 2014-06-22 20:56           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-06-22 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 21/06/2014 22:49, in article
> c2d96556-f6bc-46fa-875d-275c35b3d7bf@googlegroups.com, "Dan'l Miller"
> <optikos@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Conversely, Mr. Findlay, surfing Mr. Porton's 5 levels of indirection is far
>> more discrete than your own off-topic postings directly
>> on c.l.a that pollute what otherwise would be 100% technical discussions.
>
> I will cease to post (not pollute) to c.l.a my demand that Porton stop using
> it for anti-gay propaganda, just as soon as he does so.

> He is putting an invitation to peruse them into c.l.a,

please be more precise about this; I see no such "invitation".

There is nothing in Victor Porton's post that is not related to Ada.

There is nothing in the web page that post links to that is not related
to Ada.

You are the only one causing pollution here; please stop.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-07-01 10:02             ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-07-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/2014 21:56, in article 8538ewvf1x.fsf@stephe-leake.org, "Stephen
Leake" <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote:

> Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On 21/06/2014 22:49, in article
>> c2d96556-f6bc-46fa-875d-275c35b3d7bf@googlegroups.com, "Dan'l Miller"
>> <optikos@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Conversely, Mr. Findlay, surfing Mr. Porton's 5 levels of indirection is far

It is 1 level of indirection, actually.

>>> more discrete than your own off-topic postings directly
>>> on c.l.a that pollute what otherwise would be 100% technical discussions.
>>
>> I will cease to post (not pollute) to c.l.a my demand that Porton stop using
>> it for anti-gay propaganda, just as soon as he does so.
>
>> He is putting an invitation to peruse them into c.l.a,
>
> please be more precise about this; I see no such "invitation".

Including a link in a post is an invitation to follow it.
If not, why include it?

> There is nothing in Victor Porton's post that is not related to Ada.

Yes, there is:

"Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org"

> There is nothing in the web page that post links to that is not related
> to Ada.

Yes, there is:

" My blogs:
My religious blog"

Which latter points to: "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."

> You are the only one causing pollution here; please stop.

Please stop propagating untruths.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ³The Machine² and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-07-09  0:43               ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-07-09  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>> There is nothing in Victor Porton's post that is not related to Ada.
>
> Yes, there is:
>
> "Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org"

Ok, that is in the post. But it is clearly in the signature portion; I
would only follow it if I wanted to know more about Victor as a person.
I do not expect it to be related to Ada.

>> There is nothing in the web page that post links to that is not related
>> to Ada.
>
> Yes, there is:
>
> " My blogs:
> My religious blog"
>
> Which latter points to: "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a
> pathology."

Again, only the link in the signature; not relevant to this discussion.
The link in the body of the post does _not_ contain that.

>> You are the only one causing pollution here; please stop.
>
> Please stop propagating untruths.

If you don't like someone, don't follow links in their signature.

Please don't waste my time with your posts.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: "The Machine" and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-07-11 21:43 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-07-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:50:18 AM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new computer
> architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>
> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>
> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
> both projects.

Victor, this thread never really discussed your technical content.  Strong coupling or not, what do you foresee as the changes needed to compiled mostly-imperative (slightly-declarative) programming languages such as Ada, to best support HP's new computer architecture?  Or for that matter, why is Ada better suited for HP's new computer architecture than, say, C or interpreted scripts, say, Python?

What I am looking for is something to the effect of:  Forth was a language that is best suited for the era where accessing DRAM was only slightly slower than accessing registers within a microprocessor.  Once the rate of intra-processor accesses to registers and various levels of cache accelerated faster the rate of DRAM accesses throughout the 1980s through 200Xs decades, Forth's very chattery tiny little functions and numerous stack operations became painfully slow compared with compiled machine-code in, say, C during those decades.  Changing or tweaking the computer architecture does have impact in imperative programming languages.

* Re: "The Machine" and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-07-12 10:41   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-07-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan'l Miller wrote:

> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:50:18 AM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
>> Read my blog post why I recommend to use Ada on The Machine (a new
>> computer architecture by Hewlett Packard):
>>
>> http://portonsoft.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-machine-and-ada/
>>
>> We should create a strong coupling of The Machine and Ada, for success of
>> both projects.
>
> Victor, this thread never really discussed your technical content.  Strong
> coupling or not, what do you foresee as the changes needed to compiled
> mostly-imperative (slightly-declarative) programming languages such as
> Ada, to best support HP's new computer architecture?  Or for that matter,

There are no big changes in programming languages demanded by the new HP
architecture (except that we need to compile code for several instruction
sets).

The big change is in OS.

> why is Ada better suited for HP's new computer architecture than, say, C
> or interpreted scripts, say, Python?

Interpreted scripts will probably not benefit at all from new processor
architecture with many specialized core. For an interpreted language one
need choose one type of core and use it exclusively.

In C it is needed a sophisticated code analysis to understand which part of
the program to compile with which instruction sets, for every file it is
need to be specified explicitly (or derived by a sophisticated code analysis
tool). With Ada it is easier: The compiler just compiles all dependencies of
a task to the right instruction set (as specified in the task's pragma).

--

@ 2014-07-13 15:29     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2014-07-13 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:41:15 AM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> Dan'l Miller wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:50:18 AM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:
> > why is Ada better suited for HP's new computer architecture than, say, C ...
>
> In C it is needed a sophisticated code analysis to understand which part of
> the program to compile with which instruction sets, for every file it is
> need to be specified explicitly (or derived by a sophisticated code analysis
> tool). With Ada it is easier: The compiler just compiles all dependencies of
> a task to the right instruction set (as specified in the task's pragma).

To which existing pragma are you referring?

* Re: "The Machine" and Ada (blog post)
@ 2014-07-13 19:05       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-07-13 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13-Jul-14 09:29, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> To which existing pragma are you referring?

It wouldn't *need* to be a pre-existing pragma.
Implementation-defined pragmas [and aspects] are allowed for just this
reason.

e.g. Imagine an Ada compiler targeting CPU + CUDA.

Task type K is
   Entry Do_something( Data : in  Integer );
   Entry Get_Result  ( Data : out Integer );
End K with
Target_Processor => GPU;

could be used to signify the task is to be run on one of the GPU cores;
the nice thing about this is that it would still be compilable [and
runnable] w/o the CUDA targeting... though it may raise a unrecognized
pragma/aspect when compiled.