From: George Shapovalov <gerrshapovalov@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: yes another gnat bug (inherited tagged type as record field is too much for gnat??)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:51:26 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2019-12-02T11:51:26-08:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 6:12:04 PM UTC+1, Optikos wrote:
> We should use this as an example to see how timely this gets fixed in
> FSF GNAT, to see whether it is measured in hours, days, weeks, months, etc.
> over in FSF GNAT.

That wouldn't be a fair comparison, nor a useful one. Please note, as I said, the fix is in their *development* tree. Meaning that its not yet available to the vast majority of users. maybe some -pro users with a special subscription have access to the "nightly builds" or something like that (I don;t know how that works with AdaCore), but I would guess that even most -pro users would get it only with the next release, after proper integration and testing.

Likely at a similar time it would become available to the community builders and testers - including FSF people. As far as I understand the arrangement, AdaCore would be essentially an "upstream" for the FSF people, who would then integrate Ada-specific features into public gcc backend that they maintain [1]. And only then, with the next release of FSF/gpl version would it fall into the hands of the "final" distro-level package maintainers and would normally get pushed out to the public with the next release or update of a correspondiong distro (some immediately, some with a new distro version only - depending on package update policy of that distro).

The whole process is sequential, with an established workflow, even schedules.. So, the "who gets it done faster" comparison is rather pointless here.

[1]. No inside knowledge to the specifics here, only general experience how it all works on a more public level, as a former (original, many years ago) maintainer of Ada in Gentoo Linux). But I am pretty sure they are not reimplementing the fixes and features in the Ada-specific code, when it is regularly released y a reliable upstream. That would be contrary to "the spirit" and outright impractical and prone to introducing unnecessary problems..