* Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-11-01  0:00 ETHoierman
From: ETHoierman @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently read an article in EE Times concerning the Automobile Industry
looking for an alternative to using assembly language in their on-board
firmware.  They are getting so much on-board stuff these days that they
are starting to deal with a huge amount of incompletely tested and
validated software.  They mentioned some European efforts toward a
'standard' kernel but didn't mention much about it.

I see a lot about Ada in the aircraft avionics world but I haven't seen
much on cars/trucks.  Any suggested reading material, forums, etc?

ETH

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-11-11  0:00 James Thiele
From: James Thiele @ 1996-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul E. Bennett" writes:
>In article <3280DA96.15FB@hso.link.com>
>           s_allen@hso.link.com "Stanley R. Allen" writes:
>
>> You would think that Tartan
>> (now TI) or DDC-I, or one of the other cross-development
>> Ada vendors would be able to make inroads in that
>> environment.  Top-tier Ada vendors have the editors,
>> compilers, safety-certified kernels, debuggers, cross-
>> development toolsets, etc. that are needed for the
>> kind of development done by auto makers.
>
>[%X]
>
>> Once you appreciate the problems that Ada was designed
>> to solve, you appreciate the solutions it provides.
>> And as the auto industry relies more and more on
>> embedded software, it should begin to look at Ada
>> and appreciate it more.
>
>From the stories I have heard from various people who have used Ada in Safety
>Related Applications work it would seem that only a restricted sub-set of Ada
>is permissible in such applications (SPARK being one such subset). This is
>also supported by evidence of two Ada Compilers that would produce different
>results for the same expression of a calculation and same numerical input.

I coauthored a pair of documents on the use of Ada in flight-critical
avionics and we called for using a restricted subset of Ada.

--
James Thiele
james@cdac.com (work) or jet@eskimo.com (home)

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-11-12  0:00 James Thiele
From: James Thiele @ 1996-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Robert Dewar) writes:

>Ken Tindall says
>
>"I think we should have a little respect for the Boeing point-of-view.
>It doesn't help them to be continuously pushed by academics to
>adopting unsound techniques. They have to live with the consequences of
>screwing up big time."
>
>In any language you only use tools that are appopriate to the job. The use
>of Ada tasking, and various tasking constructs works well in some situations,
>and is inappropriate to others.
>
>The important thing is to base the deisions on what tools to use on well
>founded technical judgment, and not vague (and quite misleading) generalities
>like "Ada tasking is too inefficient to use".
>
>I was struck at one meeting I was at with project leaders from various
>avionics groups. One group mentioned that it was using Ada tasking for
>critical flight control functions, and one of the other groups reacted
>amazed. Turned out they had not even *considered* using Ada tasking?
>Why not? Because they had heard that it was too inefficient.
>
>You do not have to be an academic to object to this method of
>decision making.
>
>I would guess that the Boeing decision makes perfect sense in the context
>of their application, but to draw vague generalizations from it makes
>little sense. You have to carefuly evaluate in the context of your own
>project what tools should be used, and you will do a better job of this
>evaluation if you base it on technical facts and good technical understanding
>rather than rumours!

Since I contributed to this and brought in my work at Boeing I want
to clarify what *I* said: In the 86-88 time frame, we were unable
to find an Ada compiler which supported tasking well enough for
us to use it.  I also said that I felt that the tasking model in
Ada83 was too weak for autopilots, which require a rigid scheduling
regime.  I also said that all the groups we were in contact with
wrote their own schedulers.

DO NOT infer that I can talk about what Boeing does now.  Ada is
used almost everywhere on the 777.  No doubt the compilers are
better now.

The original thread was about the possibility of using Ada in
automotive systems.  IMHO Ada is a poor match to the *very* small
processors that are the majority of automotive systems.  IMHO
methodology is more important than language - I have seen a
wonderfully elegant, low-cost, low-power real-time system written
entirely in assembler, and I've seen a nearly unusable real-time
system written in Ada.  The difference was that the Ada team
was sloppy and didn't follow even the weakest software engineering
techniques.

My advice to the auto industry is to study real-time, highly
reliable systems and choose a methodology that has been
successful, then choose a language (Forth, C, Ada, Modula, ...)
and apply the methology religiously.

Wishing he'd shut up a long time ago,
James

From: James Thiele @ 1996-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Manning writes:
>In article <1996Nov6.210957.3070@ole.cdac.com> James Thiele
><james@cdac.com>
>
>> I've never seen Ada for Intel 8051 or Motorola 6800
>> series microcontrollers, and these are common in the
>> auto industry.
>>    [...]
>> Why should they appreciate a bloated language that requires
>> them to hire new or retrain old programmers to write
>> programs that won't fit on the microcontrollers they use?
>
>It's a myth that Ada compilers are unrealistic for small
>microcontrollers. There's nothing that prevents anybody from
>implementing an Ada subset that could both (a) be validated and
>(b) fit harmoniously on a small machine.
>
>I remember back in October 1995 when we had a big discussion about
>the merits of Ada for small microcontrollers. Here's what Robert
>Eachus and Mike Felman said at the time:
>
>In article <EACHUS.95Nov14161604@spectre.mitre.org>
>eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:
>
>>    For Ada 83 we had AI-325: "Implementation-dependant limitations
>> must be justified.  An implementation-dependant limitation is
>> justified if it is impossible to or impractical to remove it, given an
>> implementation's execution environment."  In Ada95 this has been
>> incorporated into RM 1.1.3(6):  "Contain no variations except those
>> explicitly permitted by this International Standard, or those that are
>> impossible or impractical to avoid given the implementation's
>> execution environment."
>>
>>    [...]
>>
>>    So anyone who wants to retarget the GNAT compiler to an 8-bit
>> environment go ahead.  Validation should not be even your tenth
>> biggest worry.
>
>In article <4920s0$kqd@felix.seas.gwu.edu>
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>
>>     [...]
>>
>> (1) it is premature to write off the potential for an Ada/8051;
>>
>> (2) some of the complaints about Ada being "too big" for the 8051
>>     may well be made out of ignorance of the possibilities;
>>
>> (3) a GCC target and a port of the GNAT runtime is the way to go.

An 8051 and other 8-bit processors are small even for C.  I know
of only one target of gcc to a machine of this class, 68HC11.  This
port has no floats or 4 byte longs.

If you look at 8051 C compilers you will find that they have evolved
over the years adding little "hints" to deal with quirks in the
address space.  The 8051 is a classic Harvard machine with different
code and data spaces.  In addition, and here is one of the problems,
it handles on and off chip RAM differently.

Since it has only one accumulator and one data pointer there is
likely going to be code bloat just trying to move data around.
If you read postings in the relevant newsgroups you will see
postings about features of C to avoid on the 8051 because they
are expensive.

Originally C was designed around PDP-11 class machines: 16 bits,
multiple registers, indirect addressing modes, etc.  Since gcc has
to dumb down C for an 8-bit machine, how much would GNAT have
to dumb down Ada to target an 8051?  Would you still think it was Ada?

Just my 2 cents.

--

@ 1996-11-13  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-11-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU> writes:
>Ken Tindall says
>It is impossible. Ada 83 tasking cannot be used reliably for real-time
>(as the Boeing people above mentioned). Ada 95 tasking still leaves a big
>efficiency problem, which is crucial to the automotive industry,
>where a few cents on a control unit add up to millions over a product
>life.
>
>  Again, unsubstantiated general claims. It must almost certainly be
>  the case that the writer does NOT know Ada very well. If I am wrong
>  on this, then Ken, make some specific technical points that we can
>  address instead of unsubstantiated generalities.

    The "It is impossible" part bothers me. I've got stuff flying
    around in the sky as we speak which is utilizing Ada83 tasking in
    realtime. I'm launching stuff into outer space which is utilizing
    Ada83 tasking in realtime. I've got tasks driving 5, 10 and 20
    millisecond control loops (on an ancient, 1750a processor running
    astronomically slow, to boot!) and they're working fine and not
    absorbing any significant overhead above and beyond what it would
    cost to implement similar loops with some sort of primitive
    foreground/background processing scheme cobbled out of C.

    If the claim is "It is impossible", then clearly, not enough
    effort has been expended to prove it otherwise.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

        --  Groucho Marx

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-11-24  0:00 Ingemar Persson
From: Ingemar Persson @ 1996-11-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Regarding Chris Hills claims on 22 November about Ada causing the
destruction of the first Ariane 5.

There was no fault that can be linked to Ada. The software performed
exactly what it was designed to do. The real problem was that they kept
a program designed for Ariane 4 without any change. This program had no
meaningfull purpose after take off on Ariane 5 (it operates up to 40
seconds after take off on Ariane 4 in order to allow short holding
periods in the countdown). The result was that the software encountered
a situation it was not designed for (a higher velocity than Ariane 4).
The resulting numerical overflow led to the shutdown of both the two
systems (related to inertial guidance) simultaneosly. The real misstake
of the french team was that they had skipped a proper handling of an
numerical overflow (forgeting that they where dealing with a faster
object) and thereby allowing a program (that should have been stopped at
take off anyway) to stop two parallell systems.

The proper conclusion is that the french team made two mistakes that
together caused the destruction of Ariane 5, choosing Ada was not one of
them.

Please
to the fact that they are using Ada

* Re: Ada and automotive industry
@ 1996-11-25  0:00 W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1996-11-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I happen to agree with Robert Dewar that there would be no market
> for an Ada compiler for 8-bit devices. The code it generated wouldn't
> fit in the available RAM and ROM, it would be too slow, and no-one would
> buy it.

As long as we're putting words in his mouth, I happen to agree with
Robert Dewar that, given the same algorithm, GNAT's machine code should
be nearly identical to GCC's.

By implication, fits in the same space, runs at the same speed, ...

Now some have said that GCC can't be used for these devices either...
W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-40)                 Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808                  (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-11-27  0:00 W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1996-11-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

:> > [5] GM implementation and test procedures are arcane (at best) and often
:> >     self-defeating. Rigorous test consists of getting in a car and seeing
:> >     if anything happens.

Having owned a few GM cars and driven even more, I can't excape the feeling
that the process is something like:

N. Test the vehicle.
   1.  Ship it to a dealer.
O. Analyze Test Results.
   1.  Get data from complaints department.
   2.  Show data to lawyers.
P. Take corrective Action
   1. If lawyers say we might get sued then
         give data to engineers
      else
         give data to marketing department
      end if

In fairness to GM, they're not the only ones!!!
In fairness to the automotive industry, they're not the only ones!!!!

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-40)                 Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne,  IN   46808                  (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com

[parent not found: <1996Nov30.130532.522@decus.org.nz>]
[parent not found: <1996Dec2.221233.523@decus.org.nz>]
* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-12-05  0:00 Franco Mazzanti
From: Franco Mazzanti @ 1996-12-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<chris@phaedsys.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > >I am amused by the number "2000".  There are, in fact, 174 "Ada Issues",
> > >which are the rulings, or pending rulings, on the current Ada standard.
> > >Of these, 69 are considered bugs in the Standard document.  (Others are
> > >editorial comments, cases where the question has an obvious answer, and
> > >so forth).

Just for giving an exlanation of the 2000 magic number, which some time
to time appears in articles and talks.

This number is mentioned in the book "Safer C" by Les Hatton (bottom of
page 187) during a comparison a C vs. Ada. The number is clearly related
to Ada83 (since the book was published in 1994) and, even if the number is

probably too large, at least the order of magnitude is quite correct.

More precisely, 1442 comments have been formnally submitted for Ada83, and
these resulted in 903  "Ada Items".
(see ftp://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/public/AdaIC/standards/83com/ai-index.toc)

For Ada95, the numbering of "Ada Items" has clealry restarted from 1, but
it is not clear how many of the unresolved Ada 83 items would be
still applicable to Ada95  (hopefully a small number, but definitively a
number greater than zero).

Franco Mazzanti

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-12-10  0:00 Franco Mazzanti
From: Franco Mazzanti @ 1996-12-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert said:

> Franco said
>
> "For Ada95, the numbering of "Ada Items" has clealry restarted from 1, but
> it is not clear how many of the unresolved Ada 83 items would be
> still applicable to Ada95  (hopefully a small number, but definitively a
> number greater than zero)."
>
> What makes you think this? Part of the design work on Ada 95 required
> careful consideration of every Ada 83 AI (rememebvr that there are
> nowhere near 1500 real AI's, many of these are presentation issues,
> e.g. commas in the wrong type font).
>
> If there is an Ada 83 AI that is not considered and dealt with in quite
> a deliberate manner in the Ada 95 RM, it is an oversight, and one that
> I would be surprised to find ...

I never said of 1500 AI.  I mentioned the number of 903 Ada83 AI's
which is the number appearing in the ai-index.toc file at AdaIC.
I did not actually count the number of "real" AI's' which appear in the
Ada83-comments directory.
In effect, if we count them, we see that the "real" AI are just 591, and
of these 53 are "confirmations". So, we are left with just 538 "real"
AI's.  That's not bad.

--------

I do know if it is oversight, of if there is some kind of deliberate
(undocumented) decision behind this, but there are that some uncertainites
which were mentioned in Ada83 commentaries, which seem to be still
unresolved in Ada95.

For Example, let us consider the issue of "file objects" and parameter
passing modes (this problem was raised in ai-00828).
While the parameter passing modes for objects type File_Type are well
defined by the RM (they are those required by the full type definition),
it is still very uncertain the effect that the "passing mode" is allowed
to have with respect the the associated "file object".
E.g in the following case:

 My_File: File_Type;
 procedure Foo(F: File_Type) is
 end Foo;

 Foo(My_File);

Should the activity of Foo work with the same "file object" as that
which is associated to the variable "My_File", or can Foo work on a
"file object" which is a "copy" (?) of the file object associated with
My_File (and what could this mean)?

(Notice that "file objects" and objects are type File_Type are different
concepts)

 This uncertainty is well reflected e.g. by GNAT v.3.07, according to
which "file objects" do not look as if they were passed by copy, nor by
reference, but in a third way which could be called "half and half" :-)
as shown by the following simple program.

with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
procedure main is
   F: File_Type;
   procedure foo (FF: File_Type) is
   begin
      -- For the lawyer: File_Type is an access type and IS passed by copy
      -- It is not a bounded error to use both F and FF
      --
      Put_line(FF,"first_line");
      if Line(F) = 2 then

-----------

Another minor uncertainty which has been left "untouched" is that one
mentioned in AI-00587 (but that is a minor point).

-----------

Franco

[parent not found: <1996Dec11.220521.525@decus.org.nz>]
* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-12-11  0:00 Franco Mazzanti
From: Franco Mazzanti @ 1996-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Robert I. Eachus said:

  > Other than that, the only "unresolved" Ada 83 AIs are "study"
  > issues.  These were suggested improvements to the language many of
  > which were considered beyond the state of the art in 1983.  Some study
  > topics were folded into Ada 95, some are still outstanding.

  AI-00828 and AI-00587 (just to mention two) are not catalogued as "study"
  issues but as "ramifications".  The underlying uncertainty, however,
  has not been removed in Ada95 (A note in the ARM would have probably been
  sufficient).

Franco Mazzanti

* Re: Ada and Automotive Industry
@ 1996-12-13  0:00 Franco Mazzanti
From: Franco Mazzanti @ 1996-12-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert I.Eachus said:

>    Ramification has a very specific meaning in the case of AI's.  It
> means that the answer can be derived from the reference manual, but,
> in the case of published AIs, that the ARG felt that it was worth
> explaining.  So an AI decided as a ramification is in the same
> category as a confirmation but with a different feel:
>
>    Confirmation: "Of course that is what reference manual says, and we
> aren't going to change it no matter how silly you think it is."
>
>    Ramification:  "It may seem that this point is not described in the
> reference manual, but if you spend a few months looking, you will find
> that..."

I Agree, that "ramification" AI's are not as important as
"binding interpretations".  However:

A)  They would deserve at least a note in the ARM. At least to avoid the
    representation of the same question for Ada95.

B)  When they are associated with a status of "received", it is not clear
    how meaningful the classification is. If no discussion has ever been
    held on the subject, it is still possibile that the provisional
    "ramification" classification is not the correct one.

>    To take the first of the two mentioned AIs, AI-828 "File objects
> need not be passed by reference" is a very good example of a
> ramification.  The "obvious" implementation of FILE_TYPE in the IO
> packages is as a pointer to a file descriptor.  But in Ada 83 this
> implementation is not required, and there are programs which can
> detect the difference.  Oh, and other changes in Ada 95 make some of
> those implementations, and some of those programs illegal.  However,
> it is still legal to make a file object an index into a table of file
> descriptors, and pass it by value.  (And yes this topic was discussed
> during the language revision.)

I believe that this topic was discussed, but unfortunately the
underlying problem has not been resolved. A typical FILE_TYPE
implementation is a pointer to a file descriptor <which is created when
a file is opened and is set to null when a file is closed>. When such
pointer (or index) is passed as a parameter, it continues to reference a
file descriptor which might no longer exist if the file object is, in
the meanwhile, closed.
The resulting behavior is very likely to be inconsistent.  The real
point behind  AI-828 is not the academic question on whether or not it
is allowed to pass FILE_TYPE by copy, but what is supposed to be the
semantics when this happens.
Ada95 doesn't provide the answer and the issue is still uncertain.
This issue should not be classified as a "ramification" but as a binding
interpretation (once a solution is found). My impression, is that nobody
wants to explicitly state that using a parameter of type FILE_TYPE is
erroneous if the file-object status has been changed, nor wants to force
implementations to behave in a different way.

>    The second probably should have been classified as presentation,
> and that is how it was resolved in Ada 95.

With respect to AI-00587 (which I have the impression you have confused
with AI-00585) I agree that this item could have been classified as
"presentation".
However the original wordings of Ada83 have been reused in an equally
wrong way in Ada95 (precisely in 3.7.2(4)). Here the issue are the words
"by this execution" (which does not include the activity performed by
other independent, but synchronized tasks).
I am the first to acknowledge that this is a very minor, presentation
point, but it would have been easy to take it into consideration and use
the correct words "during this execution", or even still use current
imprecise wording but at least put a clarifying note in the ARM.

Franco Mazzanti