From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Pool and SubPools can be used for remote access ?
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 21:22:32 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2021-03-06 20:48, Daniel Norte Moraes wrote:

>     I'm learning mpi and openMP and take this insite:
>    ? Is possible to use remote data  ( e.g. shared memory , variables etc [
> via network and other protocols]) by implementing
> an custom storage_pool's ?  the array in storage pool need be continuous or
> an 'fake-length' array is ok ? someone already tried it yet ?

Storage pool can be backed by whatever mechanism. The layout of objects
allocated in the pool depends on the object. The strategy could be
mirroring remote objects or using proxy object instead.

As for implementations there exist distributed annex implementations
which must support remote objects.

There exist persistent storage implementations. Persistent objects
resemble remote objects in many aspects.

There exist interprocess shared storage pools implementation.

If remote objects should be implemented as stored in a pool is quite
questionable. Pool is too low level mechanism. Having an object in a
pool would preclude a lot of functionality, safety and reliability.