* GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-18  7:51 Piotr
From: Piotr @ 2009-06-18  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT

http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/

I'm really pleased to see that the work I undertook at AdaCore as intern has
now been made available for everyone! During 4 months in 2008 I worked
porting the GNAT toolchain to the NXT platform thus making Ada available for
the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT robots :)

I hope you have fun playing with it!

--
Piotr Piwko
http://www.embedded-engineering.pl/

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-18  8:47 ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2009-06-18  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Jun., 09:51, Piotr <piotr.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
>
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/
>
> I'm really pleased to see that the work I undertook at AdaCore as intern has
> now been made available for everyone! During 4 months in 2008 I worked
> porting the GNAT toolchain to the NXT platform thus making Ada available for
> the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT robots :)
>
> I hope you have fun playing with it!
>
> --
> Piotr Piwkohttp://www.embedded-engineering.pl/

Cool video! ;-)

This thing looks really nice.

Cheers,

Marc

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-23 22:02 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2009-06-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
>
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/
  Last Thursday I registered so I could download this.  Haven't received
a "here's your code" email yet.  Are they just slow?

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-24  3:15   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2009-06-24  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>> GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
>>
>> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/
>   Last Thursday I registered so I could download this.  Haven't received
> a "here's your code" email yet.  Are they just slow?

Not normally. Sounds like it got caught in the spam blocker someplace.
My son signed up on Friday I think and had the activation email in a few
minutes.

I was pretty excited to get him going on this but it is still pretty raw
and not quite ready for prime time. Still I think it is good to get it
out there early.

Install process is a bit confusing and I don't quite understand all of
the actual prerequisites. The direct link to on file in nxtOSEK makes
you think that is all you need (perhaps it is) but nxtOSEK itself has a
rather a number of prerequisites that you may or may not also need.
The documentation talks about going to the examples directory and doing
a make but the AdaCore Mindstorms install (while somewhat complete in
that it bundles GPS and the compiler in one installer) does not include
make.

I fear that if you are using Vista you will be out of luck given the
current limitations with the nxtOSEK USB driver...Or maybe not. there
are several options for that OS but it is not really clear if you have
to use the one that requires libUSB with the AdaCore stuff.

I'd really be interested in hearing if anyone gets this going who has
not already spent a lot of time with nxtOSEK. Looks like a good first
effort to build on. Hopefully the effort is not wasted because a new
mindstorms is coming out in the fall. It would be a shame if the new
mindstorms obsoleted all of this before it ever got working in a
semi-turnkey manner.

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-24  7:00     ` Matteo Bordin
From: Matteo Bordin @ 2009-06-24  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 24, 5:15 am, Jeffrey Creem <j...@thecreems.com> wrote:
> tmo...@acm.org wrote:
> >> GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
>
> >>http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/
> >   Last Thursday I registered so I could download this.  Haven't received
> > a "here's your code" email yet.  Are they just slow?
>
> Not normally. Sounds like it got caught in the spam blocker someplace.
> My son signed up on Friday I think and had the activation email in a few
> minutes.

I agree. Let us know if you do not receive the confirmation mail.

> I was pretty excited to get him going on this but it is still pretty raw
> and not quite ready for prime time. Still I think it is good to get it
> out there early.
>
> Install process is a bit confusing and I don't quite understand all of
> the actual prerequisites. The direct link to on file in nxtOSEK makes
> you think that is all you need (perhaps it is) but nxtOSEK itself has a
> rather a number of prerequisites that you may or may not also need.
> The documentation talks about going to the examples directory and doing
> a make but the AdaCore Mindstorms install (while somewhat complete in
> that it bundles GPS and the compiler in one installer) does not include
> make.

I suggest to have a look at the root README file you see in the
download page.
It contains all required information.

> I'd really be interested in hearing if anyone gets this going who has
> not already spent a lot of time with nxtOSEK. Looks like a good first
> effort to build on. Hopefully the effort is not wasted because a new
> mindstorms is coming out in the fall. It would be a shame if the new
> mindstorms obsoleted all of this before it ever got working in a
> semi-turnkey manner.

We tested it with interns (not the one who contributed to the
release ;-) ) and
the installation process, while not completely automated, seemed
reasonable.

I am also investigating on the spec of NXT 2.0.

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-27 13:48       ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2009-06-27 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Jun., 09:00, Matteo Bordin <matteo.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >   Last Thursday I registered so I could download this.  Haven't received
> > > a "here's your code" email yet.  Are they just slow?
>
> > Not normally. Sounds like it got caught in the spam blocker someplace.
> > My son signed up on Friday I think and had the activation email in a few
> > minutes.
>
> I agree. Let us know if you do not receive the confirmation mail.
>

> > I was pretty excited to get him going on this but it is still pretty raw
> > and not quite ready for prime time. Still I think it is good to get it
> > out there early.
>
> > Install process is a bit confusing and I don't quite understand all of
> > the actual prerequisites. The direct link to on file in nxtOSEK makes
> > you think that is all you need (perhaps it is) but nxtOSEK itself has a
> > rather a number of prerequisites that you may or may not also need.
> > The documentation talks about going to the examples directory and doing
> > a make but the AdaCore Mindstorms install (while somewhat complete in
> > that it bundles GPS and the compiler in one installer) does not include
> > make.
>
> I suggest to have a look at the root README file you see in the
> download page.
> It contains all required information.
>
> > I'd really be interested in hearing if anyone gets this going who has
> > not already spent a lot of time with nxtOSEK. Looks like a good first
> > effort to build on. Hopefully the effort is not wasted because a new
> > mindstorms is coming out in the fall. It would be a shame if the new
> > mindstorms obsoleted all of this before it ever got working in a
> > semi-turnkey manner.
>
> We tested it with interns (not the one who contributed to the
> release ;-) ) and
> the installation process, while not completely automated, seemed
> reasonable.
 I managed to get something to compile, however I wind up with a
somewhat
cryptic (for me at least) error message, that ld causes an error in
Win XP.
I'll tinker some more and get back to you.

Cheers Marc

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-28 13:11         ` Mehdi
From: Mehdi @ 2009-06-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

To start to programm, with your opinion, wich robot should I buy them ?

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-29  6:01         ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2009-06-29  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ha ha! Success! I got something to compile and could download it.
Now for the really complicated things ;-)

I have to say though, that the README file that Matteo refers to
is slightly parsimonious. It should mention, that you ought to
have cygwin running on your windows machine together with the libusb
library.

You might want to follow
http://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/installation.htm
this helps also for GNAT.

Headscratcher: I can only compile using MinGW (Cygwin doesn't find the
cross gnatmake during "make" though it has no problems to find it
otherwise)
but I need Cygwin to download the stuff to the brick.
Nothing out of order though.

Now back to the end-of-term-frenzy. I hope to have more time for my
new toy in
a couple of days...

Cheers,

Marc

@Mehdi:  to use GNAT for Mindstorms, you should get the basic set from
Lego.

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-06-30 11:05           ` Matteo Bordin
From: Matteo Bordin @ 2009-06-30 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 29, 8:01 am, MRE <Marc.Enzm...@web.de> wrote:
> Ha ha! Success! I got something to compile and could download it.
> Now for the really complicated things ;-)
>
> I have to say though, that the README file that Matteo refers to
> is slightly parsimonious. It should mention, that you ought to
> have cygwin running on your windows machine together with the libusb
> library.

This information is part of the installation of nxtOSEK, as you say
down here.
It is however a good suggestion to improve our documentation.

> You might want to followhttp://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/installation.htm
> this helps also for GNAT.
>
> Headscratcher: I can only compile using MinGW (Cygwin doesn't find the
> cross gnatmake during "make" though it has no problems to find it
> otherwise)
> but I need Cygwin to download the stuff to the brick.
> Nothing out of order though.

Did you follow the instructions at share/doc/mindstorms/README, as
cited in the root README file?
In particular: did you modified tool_gcc.mak and copied it in the
appropriate nxtOSEK folder?

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-07-01  6:30             ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2009-07-01  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Jun., 13:05, Matteo Bordin <matteo.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 8:01 am, MRE <Marc.Enzm...@web.de> wrote:
>
> > Ha ha! Success! I got something to compile and could download it.
> > Now for the really complicated things ;-)
>
> > I have to say though, that the README file that Matteo refers to
> > is slightly parsimonious. It should mention, that you ought to
> > have cygwin running on your windows machine together with the libusb
> > library.
>
> This information is part of the installation of nxtOSEK, as you say
> down here.
> It is however a good suggestion to improve our documentation.
>

> > You might want to followhttp://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/installation.htm
> > this helps also for GNAT.
>
> > Headscratcher: I can only compile using MinGW (Cygwin doesn't find the
> > cross gnatmake during "make" though it has no problems to find it
> > otherwise)
> > but I need Cygwin to download the stuff to the brick.
> > Nothing out of order though.
>
> Did you follow the instructions at share/doc/mindstorms/README, as
> cited in the root README file?
> In particular: did you modified tool_gcc.mak and copied it in the
> appropriate nxtOSEK folder?

Hi Matteo,

Unless I put in a typo somewhere, I followed the instructions.
My assumption is, that I have some confusion in the PATH variable, so
that cygwin has trouble finding the compiler. I'll sort it out as soon
as I have a little more leisure time ;-)

Regards,

Marc

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
@ 2009-07-01 12:18               ` Matteo Bordin
From: Matteo Bordin @ 2009-07-01 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 1, 8:30 am, MRE <Marc.Enzm...@web.de> wrote:
> On 30 Jun., 13:05, Matteo Bordin <matteo.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 29, 8:01 am, MRE <Marc.Enzm...@web.de> wrote:
>
> > > Ha ha! Success! I got something to compile and could download it.
> > > Now for the really complicated things ;-)
>
> > > I have to say though, that the README file that Matteo refers to
> > > is slightly parsimonious. It should mention, that you ought to
> > > have cygwin running on your windows machine together with the libusb
> > > library.
>
> > This information is part of the installation of nxtOSEK, as you say
> > down here.
> > It is however a good suggestion to improve our documentation.
>
> > > You might want to followhttp://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/installation.htm
> > > this helps also for GNAT.
>
> > > Headscratcher: I can only compile using MinGW (Cygwin doesn't find the
> > > cross gnatmake during "make" though it has no problems to find it
> > > otherwise)
> > > but I need Cygwin to download the stuff to the brick.
> > > Nothing out of order though.
>
> > Did you follow the instructions at share/doc/mindstorms/README, as
> > cited in the root README file?
> > In particular: did you modified tool_gcc.mak and copied it in the
> > appropriate nxtOSEK folder?
>
> Hi Matteo,
>
> Unless I put in a typo somewhere, I followed the instructions.
> My assumption is, that I have some confusion in the PATH variable, so
> that cygwin has trouble finding the compiler. I'll sort it out as soon
> as I have a little more leisure time ;-)

Yep, it seems some cygwin-driven trouble - which means it would also
be difficult to reproduce,
but will try anyway. Let me know if you sort out the problem.

Thanks for your feedback.

* GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT
@ 2010-03-03 23:53 Joshua Ferguson
From: Joshua Ferguson @ 2010-03-03 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone had any experience with this? I've run into problems every step
of the way :(

Example 1:
On install of the Mindstorms NXT Version of GNAT, GPS (which is
evidently installed with GNAT) has this error right at startup:

"Could not locate exec gnatls"
Should be worth noting that I rebooted after install to let $PATH take
effect
I'm pretty positive this is due to the NXT-GNAT having gnatls.exe
named mindstorms-nxt-gnatls.exe
All in all, not a problem if I could build and make from cygwin but:

Example 2:
trying to 'make all' a ready built project that comes with the NXT-
GNAT throws this error:
"$ make all
Compiling /nxtOSEK/ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/alarm.c to build/
kernel/alarm.o
mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe: /nxtOSEK_ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/
alarm.c: No such file or directory
mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe no input files
make: *** [build/kernel/alarm.o] Error 1"

So yeah, anyone that's used the GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT, feel
free to make your opinion heard. I've been working on getting /
something/ to make for 7ish hours with no luck.

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT
@ 2010-03-04  0:06 ` Joshua Ferguson
From: Joshua Ferguson @ 2010-03-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 3, 6:53 pm, Joshua Ferguson <joshuawfergu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone had any experience with this? I've run into problems every step
> of the way :(
>
> Example 1:
> On install of the Mindstorms NXT Version of GNAT, GPS (which is
> evidently installed with GNAT) has this error right at startup:
>
> "Could not locate exec gnatls"
> Should be worth noting that I rebooted after install to let $PATH take
> effect
> I'm pretty positive this is due to the NXT-GNAT having gnatls.exe
> named mindstorms-nxt-gnatls.exe
> All in all, not a problem if I could build and make from cygwin but:
>
> Example 2:
> trying to 'make all' a ready built project that comes with the NXT-
> GNAT throws this error:
> "$ make all
> Compiling /nxtOSEK/ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/alarm.c to build/
> kernel/alarm.o
> mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe: /nxtOSEK_ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/
> alarm.c: No such file or directory
> mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe no input files
> make: *** [build/kernel/alarm.o] Error 1"
>
> So yeah, anyone that's used the GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT, feel
> free to make your opinion heard. I've been working on getting /
> something/ to make for 7ish hours with no luck.

Also, I've followed the instructions in the root README.txt file
regarding installing nxtOSEK and replacing the ecrobot.c,
lejos_osek.tmf, tool_gcc.mak files, as well as editing tool_gcc.mak's
GNUARM directory variable.

I saw some people mention the http://lejos-osek.sourceforge.net/installation.htm
page, which I agree is nice (and has good instructions for getting
cygwin & nxtOSEK going) but has you go through installing GNUARM,
which I don't think is actually necessary for Ada code. I have a
feeling my problem lies in the new 'major' release of cygwin (1.7).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be thankful for your time. Sorry for
crashing the group all the sudden.

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT
@ 2010-03-04 11:43   ` Matteo Bordin
From: Matteo Bordin @ 2010-03-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Joshua,

you do not need the GNU-ARM tool chain.

> > Example 2:
> > trying to 'make all' a ready built project that comes with the NXT-
> > GNAT throws this error:
> > "$ make all
> > Compiling /nxtOSEK/ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/alarm.c to build/
> > kernel/alarm.o
> > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe: /nxtOSEK_ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/
> > alarm.c: No such file or directory
> > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe no input files
> > make: *** [build/kernel/alarm.o] Error 1"

Which version of make are you using? Moving to a newer version of make
shall fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

Matteo

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT
@ 2010-03-04 11:49   ` Matteo Bordin
From: Matteo Bordin @ 2010-03-04 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-04 16:54     ` Joshua Ferguson
From: Joshua Ferguson @ 2010-03-04 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 4, 6:49 am, Matteo Bordin <matteo.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Joshua,
>
> you do not need the GNU-ARM tool chain.
>
> > > Example 2:
> > > trying to 'make all' a ready built project that comes with the NXT-
> > > GNAT throws this error:
> > > "$ make all
> > > Compiling /nxtOSEK/ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/alarm.c to build/
> > > kernel/alarm.o
> > > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe: /nxtOSEK_ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/
> > > alarm.c: No such file or directory
> > > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe no input files
> > > make: *** [build/kernel/alarm.o] Error 1"
>
> Which version of make are you using? Moving to a newer version of make
> shall fix the problem.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Matteo

First, thanks for taking an interest. I understand it's kinda rude for
me to just barge in asking questions.

Ok, I'm using 'GNU make 3.81' in Cygwin, though I also received the
same error in Msys :/

* Re: GNAT GPL for LEGO Mindstorms NXT
@ 2010-03-04 23:41     ` Joshua Ferguson
From: Joshua Ferguson @ 2010-03-04 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 4, 6:49 am, Matteo Bordin <matteo.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Joshua,
>
> you do not need the GNU-ARM tool chain.
>
> > > Example 2:
> > > trying to 'make all' a ready built project that comes with theNXT-
> > > GNAT throws this error:
> > > "$ make all
> > > Compiling /nxtOSEK/ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/alarm.c to build/
> > > kernel/alarm.o
> > > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe: /nxtOSEK_ecrobot/../toppers_osek/kernel/
> > > alarm.c: No such file or directory
> > > mindstorms-nxt-gcc.exe no input files
> > > make: *** [build/kernel/alarm.o] Error 1"
>
> Which version of make are you using? Moving to a newer version of make
> shall fix the problem.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Matteo

From what I can eek out of the literature, my problem is likely based
in Cygwin somehow. There's a nice GNAT Tracker Ticket in at Adacore
(#J118-020) about the problems that 1.7.x can cause. Using that
information I'm still running into errors though. I'm going to spend
some more time looking into how cygwin and mingw work.

While I'm here, are you guys using Cygwin 1.7.x? I know you used to go
with 1.5, but I'm curious if you guys had migrated upward.