* Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-06 10:48 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

There are two main Entries for Ada in Wiki:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ada
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada

But they could do with some improvements. Especially the Wikibooks Entry.

And it is very easy: Just grab a *random* keyword which which has no article
yet and write something about it. Everybody can do that.

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-07  3:35 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-11-07  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

After reading the Programming:Ada description, which has a mix half truths
and misconceptions, it makes me wonder:
  Does Wikibooks have any sort of reputation for accuracy?
  If it does, some work needs to be done.  If it is generally recognized as
half truths and misconceptions, then it is probably not worth correcting.

Steve
(The Duck)

"Martin Krischik" <martin@krischik.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> There are two main Entries for Ada in Wiki:
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ada
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada
>
> But they could do with some improvements. Especially the Wikibooks Entry.
>
> And it is very easy: Just grab a *random* keyword which which has no
article
> yet and write something about it. Everybody can do that.
>
> With Regards
>
> Martin
> --
> mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
> http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-07  3:49   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-11-07  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:35:38 GMT, Steve <nospam_steved94@comcast.net>
wrote:

> After reading the Programming:Ada description, which has a mix half
> truths
> and misconceptions, it makes me wonder:
>   Does Wikibooks have any sort of reputation for accuracy?
>   If it does, some work needs to be done.  If it is generally recognized
> as
> half truths and misconceptions, then it is probably not worth correcting.

Since it's a Wiki, anyone can update the pages.  I've just corrected a few
misconceptions.  Feel free to elaborate.

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-07  8:40   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-07  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Steve wrote:

> After reading the Programming:Ada deacrosson, which has a mix half truths
> and misconceptions,

Sorry, haven't fixed them. Allways feal a bit uneasy on changing other
peoples work. But I should not - it is Wiki after all.

> it makes me wonder:
>   Does Wikibooks have any sort of reputation for accuracy?
>   If it does, some work needs to be done.

Well I wanted informations on say "Eiffel" and came across Wiki on Eiffel I
would expect them to be correct. That is because I would expect the Eiffel
comunity and Eiffel advocacy the have written them.

This expectation might be not be correct but that's the way it is. And here
lies the problem: The Ada entries have not been done by Ada advocates but
just been copied together by an Ada amateur. I checked the other articles
done by the original Author and it looks like he is a Wiki supporter just
creating Wiki entries for the sake of creation Wiki entries.

We should not leave them like they are. We could of corse delete them on the
base of being incorrect - But another Wiki Advocate might create new once
which would not be helpfull.

>   If it is generally recognized
>   as
> half truths and misconceptions, then it is probably not worth correcting.

I think it is allways worth fixing it. Wiki is a grate change. That why I
wrote the call in the first place. You have half an hour spare? Write a
article on Programming:Ada:Operators:*. Got half an quarter more? Write an
article on Programming:Ada:Operators:+ including the use a type convertion
operator.

Got a lot of time at hand? Programming:Ada:Tasking.

The chance which lies in Wiki is that each of us don't need to spend lots of
time on it.

A classic Webside just needs a lot if time for the Webmaster. And if you are
not the Webmaster then your articles might not be accepted. Well, my
articles for the classic AdaPower where just ignored.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-11-07  9:01     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-07  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:35:38 GMT, Steve <nospam_steved94@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> After reading the Programming:Ada description, which has a mix half
>> truths
>> and misconceptions, it makes me wonder:
>>   Does Wikibooks have any sort of reputation for accuracy?
>>   If it does, some work needs to be done.  If it is generally recognized
>> as
>> half truths and misconceptions, then it is probably not worth correcting.
>
> Since it's a Wiki, anyone can update the pages.  I've just corrected a few
> misconceptions.  Feel free to elaborate.

I disagree with that particular statement as well - so we should just remove
it and replace it with something more usefull.

BTW: For each page there is also [talk] page for discussion.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-11-07 13:08     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-07 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have because of (mainly) financial reasons not been active in the
community for more than a year (although that has obviously changed).
If it any time I have ignored or missed an article of yours (or others)
than I am deeply and completely in regret and beg and ask your
forgiveness.

I have record though of adding your project AdaCL to the projects for
people to join on Oct 29, 2004 and your home page on the same date. I
have not received any other articles or e-mails from you to my
knowledge.

I ask you to please resubmit them to David@Botton.com and will
immediately take care of them.

David Botton
http://www.adapower.com

@ 2004-11-07 13:53       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote:

> I have because of (mainly) financial reasons not been active in the
> community for more than a year (although that has obviously changed).
> If it any time I have ignored or missed an article of yours (or others)
> than I am deeply and completely in regret and beg and ask your
> forgiveness.

Ok it's forgiven.

> I have record though of adding your project AdaCL to the projects for
> people to join on Oct 29, 2004 and your home page on the same date. I
> have not received any other articles or e-mails from you to my
> knowledge.

The Articles in question are at least 1 years old.

> I ask you to please resubmit them to David@Botton.com and will
> immediately take care of them.

I have told you about AdaCL when the project was "new" and I did write an
artice on the Get_Line problem. We just discussed it here just recently.
The Get_Line function posted on AdaPower will misbehave (at least with
GNAT) when the last line is not terminated with CR/LF and when its length
is a multiple of the buffer length used. But then there had been some
suggestion that GNAT is misbehaving.

I can make up a new Article if you like with a corrected Get_Line.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-11-07 16:57 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-11-07 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> And it is very easy:

I politely disagree. I tried to fix the broken link from Wiktionary to
Wikibooks, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Apparently
I'd have to study the special wiki language first.

--
Björn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-07 17:26   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjï¿œrn Persson wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> And it is very easy:
>
> I politely disagree. I tried to fix the broken link from Wiktionary to
> Wikibooks, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Apparently
> I'd have to study the special wiki language first.

Well standart http://.... links are automaticly recognised. If you need a
Title you enclose the link in [..] like [http://ada.krischik.com My Ada
Page]

Ok, I fixed it - my mistake - used the syntax for wiki internal links
[[...]] for an external link.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-11-07 20:29         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-11-07 08:53:09 -0500, Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com> said:

> I can make up a new Article if you like with a corrected Get_Line.

That would be wonderful.

Thank you,
David Botton

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-07 21:44           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may also want to look at:

http://www.adapower.com/index.php?Command=Class&ClassID=Basics&CID=207

I don't know if this covers the same area as you are referring to.

David Botton
http://www.adapower.com

On 2004-11-07 15:29:35 -0500, David Botton <david@botton.com> said:

> On 2004-11-07 08:53:09 -0500, Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com> said:
>>
>> I can make up a new Article if you like with a corrected Get_Line.
>
> That would be wonderful.
>
> Thank you,
> David Botton

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-08  8:46             ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-08  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton wrote:

> You may also want to look at:
>
> http://www.adapower.com/index.php?Command=Class&ClassID=Basics&CID=207
>
> I don't know if this covers the same area as you are referring to.

Yes, that's the one. But Matthew  relies on the existence of a final CR/LF -
either physicly in the file or logicly provided by the particular Ada
implementation - Only GNAT does not provide one. And that means you have to
handle the End_Of_File exception as well.

I fix you an extra chapter, OK?

Martin

--

@ 2004-11-08 11:55               ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-08 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please do.

On 2004-11-08 03:46:33 -0500, Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com> said:

>  I fix you an extra chapter, OK?

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-08 18:57               ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-11-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> Yes, that's the one. But Matthew  relies on the existence of a final CR/LF -
> either physicly in the file or logicly provided by the particular Ada
> implementation - Only GNAT does not provide one. And that means you have to
> handle the End_Of_File exception as well.

Of course, CR/LF is unique to DOS/Windows. Randy thinks this is a
compiler error, since the ARM requires logical line and page terminators
at the end of file. Both GNAT and ObjectAda V7.2.2 SE have this problem;
Randy says that Janus Ada does not.

Note that PragmARC.Get_Line has been in use since 1991, and there have
been no reports of this problem being encountered in actual use.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Dr. Strangelove

* Re: Wiki on Ada
@ 2004-11-09  8:45                 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's the one. But Matthew  relies on the existence of a final
>> CR/LF - either physicly in the file or logicly provided by the particular
>> Ada implementation - Only GNAT does not provide one. And that means you
>> have to handle the End_Of_File exception as well.
>
> Of course, CR/LF is unique to DOS/Windows. Randy thinks this is a
> compiler error, since the ARM requires logical line and page terminators
> at the end of file. Both GNAT and ObjectAda V7.2.2 SE have this problem;
> Randy says that Janus Ada does not.
>
> Note that PragmARC.Get_Line has been in use since 1991, and there have
> been no reports of this problem being encountered in actual use.

Well I don't think that anybody else has send a few thouthent C++ source
files thru Get_Line.

As you might know: The main part of AdaCL is a text filter framework. Mainly
used for C++ source-file refactoring. When it comes to string handling and
Text_IO I have seen it all - event he most esoteric bugs.

I used the AdaCL text filters for more the a month before I noticed the
first file which did not have a last line any more. The bug is indeed very
sparce - bit it did happen in actual use.

So

With Regards

Martin
--

@ 2004-11-15  7:34 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-11-15  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <10095813.DNUPcIA2bI@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik wrote:
>Hello,
>
>There are two main Entries for Ada in Wiki:
>
>http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ada
>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada

Don't forget wikipedia which is huge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_programming_language