* Installing GtkAda on Linux (Ubuntu)
@ 2020-06-09  8:07 ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2020-06-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to install Gtkada on Linux beside my installation on Windows 10.
I thought the installation was correct but trying to load an on Windows
running project the GNAT Prgramming Studio could not find gtkada.gpr
despite of the fact that The PATH variable included the directory where
the project file is located. Also ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
point to that directory the file and the directories have protection
which allow the file to be used. What do I have forgotten?

* Re: Installing GtkAda on Linux (Ubuntu)
@ 2020-06-09  8:47 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-06-09  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/06/2020 10:07, ldries46 wrote:
> I am trying to install Gtkada on Linux beside my installation on Windows
> 10.
> I thought the installation was correct but trying to load an on Windows
> running project the GNAT Prgramming Studio could not find gtkada.gpr
> despite of the fact that The PATH variable included the directory where
> the project file is located. Also ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
> point to that directory the file and the directories have protection
> which allow the file to be used. What do I have forgotten?

You forgot:

1. Read and memorize Debian policy for Ada

    https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html

Either

2. Install libgtkada19-dev, if I correctly name the package as it is
kind of ever changing thing in Debian/Ubuntu.

or

2. Download the latest GtkAda sources

3. Compile and build GtkAda from the sources

4. Install the built GtkAda exactly as #1 requires

* Re: Installing GtkAda on Linux (Ubuntu)
@ 2020-06-09  8:48 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2020-06-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

ldries46 <bertus.dries@planet.nl> writes:

> The PATH variable included the directory where the project file is
> located

You need to use ADA_PROJECT_PATH or GPR_PROJECT_PATH

* Re: Installing GtkAda on Linux (Ubuntu)
@ 2020-06-09 10:33   ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2020-06-09 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wright

Op 9-6-2020 om 10:48 schreef Simon Wright:
> ldries46 <bertus.dries@planet.nl> writes:
>
>> The PATH variable included the directory where the project file is
>> located
> You need to use ADA_PROJECT_PATH or GPR_PROJECT_PATH
I tried both none worked

* Re: Installing GtkAda on Linux (Ubuntu)
@ 2020-06-09 10:50   ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2020-06-09 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry A. Kazakov

Op 9-6-2020 om 10:47 schreef Dmitry A. Kazakov:
> On 09/06/2020 10:07, ldries46 wrote:
>> I am trying to install Gtkada on Linux beside my installation on
>> Windows 10.
>> I thought the installation was correct but trying to load an on
>> Windows running project the GNAT Prgramming Studio could not find
>> gtkada.gpr despite of the fact that The PATH variable included the
>> directory where the project file is located. Also ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
>> and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH point to that directory the file and the
>> directories have protection which allow the file to be used. What do
>> I have forgotten?
>
> You forgot:
>
> 1. Read and memorize Debian policy for Ada
>
>    https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html
I already had Gtkada installed but only something simple as "with
gtkada;" in the .gpr file does not work. IIn the mean time I have tried
also to put the specific directory in the environment variables
ADA_PROJECT_PATH and GPR_PROJECT_PATH yjat also didn't work. The latest
version which is used in the link is from 2014
Your link  did not have any link to the mentioned "with" in the .gpr file

> Either
>
> 2. Install libgtkada19-dev, if I correctly name the package as it is
> kind of ever changing thing in Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> or
>
> 2. Download the latest GtkAda sources
I already used the latest version of the Adacompiler and Gtkada (both
2020 version from Adacore for as well GNAT community as Gtkada)

> 3. Compile and build GtkAda from the sources
Installs done with the install script which also compiles the sources

@ 2020-06-09 11:54     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2020-06-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/06/2020 12:50, ldries46 wrote:

> I already had Gtkada installed but only something simple as "with
> gtkada;" in the .gpr file does not work. IIn the mean time I have tried
> also to put the specific directory in the environment variables
> ADA_PROJECT_PATH and GPR_PROJECT_PATH yjat also didn't work. The latest
> version which is used in the link is from 2014
> Your link  did not have any link to the mentioned "with" in the .gpr file

You do not need any environment variables. Provided you use the FSF
compiler. That is the idea of having language policies. Everything works
out of the box.

> I already used the latest version of the Adacompiler and Gtkada (both
> 2020 version from Adacore for as well GNAT community as Gtkada)

OK, this is a completely different scenario. Do you use AdaCore's
compiler instead of the FSF compiler? [Why?] You will have
ADA_PROJECT_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH correctly set. I wonder if AdaCore
installer sets them already and you must move them into your .bashrc or
whatever. To check yourself use -I switches with grpbuild. You can
always add paths explicitly from the command line.

Look if GtkAda's bin directory has gtkada-config executable. It returns
switches for compiling/building GtkAda applications. Add them to the
gprbuild's command line.