* Ada and OpenGL
@ 2001-09-28 15:22 Michael Andersson
From: Michael Andersson @ 2001-09-28 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
Could somebody please show me how to use the glGetString function with
Ada?
I get Storage Error every time and I guess it has to do with illegal
memory access.

Thanks in advance!
/Michael Andersson

* Re: Ada and OpenGL
@ 2001-09-28 18:59 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-09-28 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3BB4EB06.FCED0102@ida.his.se>, Michael Andersson says...
>Could somebody please show me how to use the glGetString function with
>Ada?
>I get Storage Error every time and I guess it has to do with illegal
>memory access.

As far as I know there is no well-known trick to getting that function to work
with Ada no matter what compiler/platform/OS/bindings you are using. That would
be the only way anyone could answer this question. I'd wadger you are doing
something basic wrong (as we all do from time to time). So if you want some
help, you are probably going to have to provide us some of that information. The
source code that is bombing would be helpful too.

---
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: Ada and OpenGL
@ 2001-10-01  5:56 ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2001-10-01  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Andersson" <a98mican@ida.his.se> wrote in message news:3BB4EB06.FCED0102@ida.his.se...
> Hi!
> Could somebody please show me how to use the glGetString function with
> Ada?
> I get Storage Error every time and I guess it has to do with illegal
> memory access.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> /Michael Andersson

I use this code:

with gl; use gl;
with glut; use glut;
with Interfaces.C.Strings; use Interfaces.C.Strings;
with Ada.Unchecked_Conversion;
with Text_IO; use Text_IO;

procedure GL_Test is

  function to_char_ptr
    is new Ada.Unchecked_Conversion( GLubytePtr, chars_ptr);

  procedure PrintInfo is
  begin
    Put("VENDOR=");
    put_Line( Value(
               to_char_ptr( glGetString( GL_VENDOR ) )));
  end;

  type chars_ptr_ptr is access Interfaces.C.Strings.chars_ptr;

  argc : aliased integer;
  pragma Import (C, argc, "gnat_argc");

  argv : chars_ptr_ptr;
  pragma Import (C, argv, "gnat_argv");

    win: Integer;
  begin

     glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB or GLUT_DEPTH or GLUT_DOUBLE);
     glutInit (argc'access, argv);
     win:=glutCreateWindow("test 1");
     PrintInfo;

end;

* Ada and OPenGL
@ 2003-10-14 16:31 Alfredo Macias
From: Alfredo Macias @ 2003-10-14 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I'm running an ada-opengl program on Linux.  I draw a line between two
points directly as follows:

Glcolor3f(1,0,0),

GlBegin
     Gl.Glvertex2d (Gl.Gldouble(X, Y);
     Gl.Glvertex2d (Gl.Gldouble(X1, Y1);
GlEnd

The problem is that the line is drawn about 60% of it in red (the right
color) and the rest of it in white or some times yellow or magenta.  Now, I
run the same code in AIX and get a nice red solid line.  So the problem only
ocurs on Linux.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?,  somebody suggested that
there could be something wrong with my lights, but I'm using no lights at
all.

* Re: Ada and OPenGL
@ 2003-10-18 21:58 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-10-18 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfredo Macias wrote:
> Hi all,

It might be best to try comp.graphics.api.opengl.

What is your setup code like?

* ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-14  0:44 pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-14  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello. I was wondering if I need to learn c programming before I can use ada to learn opengl.

I was able to grab a tutorial on how to use the opengl api with the c programming language.

unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an ada equivalent, nor any instructions on how to set up the ada opengl bindings with my compiler (I have ada-gide).

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-14  4:03 ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2014-07-14  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/13/2014 7:44 PM, pincerfae@gmail.com wrote:
> hello. I was wondering if I need to learn c programming before I can use ada to learn opengl.
>
> I was able to grab a tutorial on how to use the opengl api with the c programming language.
>
> unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an ada equivalent, nor any instructions
>on how to set up the ada opengl bindings with my compiler (I have ada-gide).

fyi, There are 3 Ada bindings to openGL listed here

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Language_bindings#Ada

--Nasser

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-14  8:18 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-07-14  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

<pincerfae@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello. I was wondering if I need to learn c programming before I can use
> ada to learn opengl.
>
> I was able to grab a tutorial on how to use the opengl api with the c programming language.
>
> unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an ada equivalent, nor any
> instructions on how to set up the ada opengl bindings with my compiler (I have ada-gide).

I have this in my todo list wrt modern GL.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-14 18:56 ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the adaopengl bindings...
it's trying to figure out how to set them up and use them...

the way things are looking, I can postpone learning c....
thank you for responding, at least.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-15 18:58   ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-15 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:03:08 PM UTC-7, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 7/13/2014 7:44 PM, pincerfae@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > hello. I was wondering if I need to learn c programming before I can use ada to learn opengl.
>

> > I was able to grab a tutorial on how to use the opengl api with the c programming language.
>

> > unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an ada equivalent, nor any instructions
>
> >on how to set up the ada opengl bindings with my compiler (I have ada-gide).
>

> fyi, There are 3 Ada bindings to openGL listed here
>

> http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Language_bindings#Ada
>

> --Nasser

yes. I have one of them. with virtually no instructions on how to get them to be used or referenced by my compiler.
it doesn't help that the 'makefile' command is apparently to be used in a unix environment when I'm running windows 7.

the bindings are just sitting somewhere on my hard drive, wasting space.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-15 19:21 ` Marius Amado-Alves
From: Marius Amado-Alves @ 2014-07-15 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Strictly you have to understand OpenGL, not C.

Recently I have managed to build Ada OpenGL applications with the libs/people/processes discussed in this forum, topic "ANN: OpenGLAda 0.3 and OpenCLAda 0.1 released"

(Not to discourage you, but OpenGL is huge, specially in the number of different ways available to do basically the same thing. Unfortunately the existing Ada bindings do not solve this. And unfortunately there is no good OpenGL book that solves this either.)

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-15 23:09   ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-15 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:21:31 PM UTC-7, Marius Amado-Alves wrote:
> Strictly you have to understand OpenGL, not C.
>

> Recently I have managed to build Ada OpenGL applications with the libs/people/processes discussed in this forum, topic "ANN: OpenGLAda 0.3 and OpenCLAda 0.1 released"
>

> (Not to discourage you, but OpenGL is huge, specially in the number of different ways available to do basically the same thing. Unfortunately the existing Ada bindings do not solve this. And unfortunately there is no good OpenGL book that solves this either.)

yes, I am quite aware of the vastness of opengl.
what I'm unhappy about is that every time I use what little code I'm able to find and test it (especially with the adaopengl binding), I get the error message "gl.ads(or similar" not found.
so I have these opengl bindings. WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM???

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-15 23:15   ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:21:31 PM UTC-7, Marius Amado-Alves wrote:
> Strictly you have to understand OpenGL, not C.

> (Not to discourage you, but OpenGL is huge, specially in the number of different ways available to do basically the same thing. Unfortunately the existing Ada bindings do not solve this. And unfortunately there is no good OpenGL book that solves this either.)

I'm already discouraged, and it has nothing to do with the size or vastness of the opengl language.

I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use them.
I'm unable to compile ANY programs with opengl because of error messages stating  that certain files (like gl.ads, for example) are missing.

the files are there. I downloaded them. but the compiler does not see them. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-16  6:20     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-07-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-07-16 02:15 , pincerfae@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:21:31 PM UTC-7, Marius Amado-Alves
> wrote:
>> Strictly you have to understand OpenGL, not C.
>
>> (Not to discourage you, but OpenGL is huge, specially in the number
>> of different ways available to do basically the same thing.
>> Unfortunately the existing Ada bindings do not solve this. And
>> unfortunately there is no good OpenGL book that solves this
>> either.)
>
> I'm already discouraged, and it has nothing to do with the size or
> vastness of the opengl language.
>
> I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use
> them. I'm unable to compile ANY programs with opengl because of error
> messages stating  that certain files (like gl.ads, for example) are
> missing.
>
> the files are there. I downloaded them. but the compiler does not see
> them. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?

Tell us which compiler (GNAT?) and which IDE (GPS?) you are using and
how you have placed your code and the OpenGL bindings into folders, and
then we might be able to help you tell the compiler/IDE how to find the
files.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-16 10:13 ` francois_fabien
From: francois_fabien @ 2014-07-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have only a limited experience of OpenGL and GtkAda.
Current problem is that OpenGl is available only with Gtk2 not Gtk3.
If you don't care about GtkAda, you can use GLFW and the binding of Felix Kraus at https://github.com/flyx/OpenGLAda is complete.
Windowing system and OpenGl are separate topics.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-16 14:49     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-07-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

pincerfae@gmail.com writes:

> I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use
> them.

Add them to your Ada project.

The details depend on what compiler and/or IDE you are using.

Show details on what you have tried, and we can be more helpful.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-16 16:52     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-07-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

<pincerfae@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm already discouraged, and it has nothing to do with the size or
> vastness of the opengl language.
>
> I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use them.
> I'm unable to compile ANY programs with opengl because of error messages
> stating  that certain files (like gl.ads, for example) are missing.
>
> the files are there. I downloaded them. but the compiler does not see
> them. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?

I think you need to read how to use gnat, gnatmake/gprbuild.

If I can I will get my old GL 1.x demos put onto GitHub, they use David
Holmes'  GL bindings and should still work.

They're also based on my port of the NeHe base code that I ported years
back.

Luke,

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-16 19:37     ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2014-07-16 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 16 juillet 2014 01:15:19 UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com a écrit :

> I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use them.
>
> I'm unable to compile ANY programs with opengl because of error messages stating  that certain files (like gl.ads, for example) are missing.
>
> the files are there. I downloaded them. but the compiler does not see them. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?

As far as GLOBE_3D is concerned, a quick glimpse at the documentation is valuable.
readme.txt says: "Please refer to GLOBE_3D_Info.html for the documentation!"
GLOBE_3D_Info.html says: "4. How to build the engine"
There, you read (for Windows/GNAT/GPS): Open the GLOBE_3D_Win32.gpr project file, then press F4.
HTH
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://sf.net/users/gdemont

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-20  0:31       ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-20  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:37:33 PM UTC-7, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 juillet 2014 01:15:19 UTC+2, pinc...@gmail.com a écrit :
>

> > I have the bindings for my laptop (which is win 7), and no way to use them.
>

> > I'm unable to compile ANY programs with opengl because of error messages stating  that certain files (like gl.ads, for example) are missing.
>

> > the files are there. I downloaded them. but the compiler does not see them. HOW CAN THIS BE FIXED?
>

> As far as GLOBE_3D is concerned, a quick glimpse at the documentation is valuable.
>
> readme.txt says: "Please refer to GLOBE_3D_Info.html for the documentation!"
>
> GLOBE_3D_Info.html says: "4. How to build the engine"
>
> There, you read (for Windows/GNAT/GPS): Open the GLOBE_3D_Win32.gpr project file, then press F4.
>
> HTH
>
> _________________________
>
> Gautier's Ada programming
>
> http://sf.net/users/gdemont

that's the oddball thing. I downloaded the globe_3d bindings and they work fine.
I have not been able to get the examples from david's opengl bindings to work at all.
the problem starts when I try to build adaglut.adb.
first it's 'adaglut.exe' missing.
then about 50 lines saying undefined after it tries to link adaglut.adb with adaglut.ali

the gnatbind lists about 50 instances where there's undefinited references' in glmain'.
then the 'bad location' address, followed by collect2.exe error, gnatlink error when calling gcc.exe
and gnatmake link error detected.

why does it seem like you need to have a straight-out unix system to do ANYTHING related to opengl? that doesn't seem right to me at all.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-20 11:23         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-07-20 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

pincerfae@gmail.com writes:

> that's the oddball thing. I downloaded the globe_3d bindings and they
> work fine.

What did you do to show these "work fine"?

> I have not been able to get the examples from david's opengl bindings
> to work at all. the problem starts when I try to build adaglut.adb.

Exactly what are you doing to "build adaglut.adb"?

Are you using AdaCore GPS, or some other IDE?

What menu/button/command are you executing?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-20 19:46           ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What did you do to show these "work fine"?

I loaded the examples into adagide, built them, ran them with no errors.

> > I have not been able to get the examples from david's opengl bindings
>
> > to work at all. the problem starts when I try to build adaglut.adb.
>

> Exactly what are you doing to "build adaglut.adb"?
>

> Are you using AdaCore GPS, or some other IDE?
AdaGide

> What menu/button/command are you executing?
build.

I've since deleted the bindings because I've spent a week trying to get the examples to work with no success.
much in the same way I deleted Visual Ada Studio and gnavi for the same reason.
as I said. seems like you have to have a *nix environment to get anything outside of simple coding in ada to work.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-20 21:50             ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2014-07-20 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> much in the same way I deleted Visual Ada Studio and gnavi for the same reason.
>
> as I said. seems like you have to have a *nix environment to get anything outside of simple coding in ada to work.

Concerning GNAVI, it's all Windows...
If you go into the gwindows subdirectory and double-click on gwindows_test.gpr (tests) gwindows_samples.gpr (some samples) gwindows_tutorials.gpr (tutorials) or gwindows_contrib.gpr (3rd party contributions). This will open GPS and you are done with the build button (several choices appear when pressing the button longer).

The reason AdaGIDE worked fine for you on GLOBE_3D is that there is a local AdaGIDE option file (gnat.ago) with the path to sources etc. that does the magic...

G.

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-21 14:45             ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-07-21 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

pincerfae@gmail.com writes:

>> What did you do to show these "work fine"?
>

> I loaded the examples into adagide, built them, ran them with no
> errors.

Ok, so your environment is fine.

>> > I have not been able to get the examples from david's opengl bindings
>>
>> > to work at all. the problem starts when I try to build adaglut.adb.
>>
>> What menu/button/command are you executing?
> build.
>
> I've since deleted the bindings because I've spent a week trying to
> get the examples to work with no success.

You are giving up too soon; you just barely started getting help here.

Since the Globe_3d examples work, the problem is in the way you are
trying to build adaglut.adb

Compare that to how the Globe_3d examples are built.

I don't use AdaGide; do you know what command line the "build" menu
invokes?

> seems like you have to have a *nix environment to get
> anything outside of simple coding in ada to work.

No, just more patience, and willingness to learn how things work.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada and opengl
@ 2014-07-21 18:42               ` pincerfae
From: pincerfae @ 2014-07-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

an interesting thing happened.
I went into the examples of globe_3d and 'built' one of them (mini.adb), and was able to do so with little to no problem (there was an error in adagide, where I wasn't able to execute the mini.exe from within adagide, so I had to go to the actual file and run it, with no problem.

I decided to go into GPS and try the same thing, only with no errors.

I'm wondering if I should download the openglada bindings, since I'm getting a better idea of how GNAT GPS works...
thank you for responding.