* Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-23  8:34 Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2005-01-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ada-France.

Where can I search C.L.A. archives for content?  In particular
information regarding Ada 2005.

Thanks

Andrew

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-23 12:39 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2005-01-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.82.1106468170.527.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>, "Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> writes:
> Where can I search C.L.A. archives for content?  In particular
> information regarding Ada 2005.

http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-23 14:40   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-01-23 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:

> In article <mailman.82.1106468170.527.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>,
> "Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> writes:
> > Where can I search C.L.A. archives for content?  In particular
> > information regarding Ada 2005.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search

In addition (not instead of):

   http://www.ada-auth.org/ais.html

Click on "Ada Issues Database Index" and then search on "Status: Amendment
200Y". The items highlighted will be the ones of most relevance (to the Ada
2005 amendment), but in a way all the Ada Issues are. HTH

PS: Hi there, Andrew!

PPS: People please note the amendment is in the finalisation stages now, and
no further changes can be made this time around. This year will be taken up
by ratification of the amendment (by the ISO).

--
Nick Roberts

* Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-24  5:43 Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2005-01-24  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ada-France.

Okay, wait, I have another question.  This will probably sound pretty
stupid but am I supposed to use the Ada Issues to learn the new features
of Ada200Y?  I also hear that I could use -gnatX flag to try out the
features.  Is that true?  If so, which compiler and compiler version do
I need?

Thankee

Andrew

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-24  7:35 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-24  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> Okay, wait, I have another question.  This will probably sound pretty
> stupid but am I supposed to use the Ada Issues to learn the new features
> of Ada200Y?  I also hear that I could use -gnatX flag to try out the
> features.  Is that true?  If so, which compiler and compiler version do
> I need?

1) Yes: -gnatX does activate experimental features.

2) -gnatX contains the answer: The GNAT compiler - the *newest* version.

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-24 12:20 Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2005-01-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ada-France.

Humph.  Okay, I'll be a little more specific.

I downloaded gnat-3.15p-nt.exe in April of 2004.  Would that do?  If
not, where can I download *the newest*?

Also, since you didn't answer, is there a summary or reference guide for
the new features in Ada200Y?

Andrew

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
       [not found] <000101c5020f$0e0d8820$0401a8c0@THINKPAD>
@ 2005-01-24 12:30 ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2005-01-24 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada, andrew

> Also, since you didn't answer, is there a summary or reference guide for
> the new features in Ada200Y?

You can get some information from http://www.ada-auth.org/ais.html
Also check out http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/04/040616-aec-ada2005.pdf

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-24 19:30 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-01-24 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote in message
> Okay, wait, I have another question.  This will probably sound pretty
> stupid but am I supposed to use the Ada Issues to learn the new features
> of Ada200Y?  I also hear that I could use -gnatX flag to try out the
> features.  Is that true?  If so, which compiler and compiler version do
> I need?

No, there are a variety of ways to learn about Ada 200Y (or Ada 2005 or
whatever):

1) Attend a presentation at SIGAda or Ada Europe. Someone has done one at
every conference for the last couple of years.
2) Read the proceedings to the above conferences. (Someone posted a link to
the most recent Ada Europe one).
3) Read the overview articles that John Barnes is writing for the Ada User
Journal. These eventually will be combined to create a Rationale document
for Ada 2005.
4) Read the draft RM and AARM for Ada 2005; insertions are obviously new
features. In addition, like the Ada 95 AARM, there are AARM annotations
labeled "Incompatibilities with Ada 95", "Extensions to Ada 95", "Wording
Differences from Ada 95", etc.  (Note: The current draft only goes through
section 12, so it hasn't been announced to the public. But it is on-line at
the AdaIC in an obvious (but not linked) place. :-) [The next draft should
be fully available to the public, presuming that it includes the entire
standard.]
5) Read the Ada Issues about specific features.

There's probably more ways that I have forgotten about.

                   Randy Brukardt
                   ARG Editor

(Now back to creating the new AARM...)

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-24 22:46 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-01-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew Carroll" writes:
> Humph.  Okay, I'll be a little more specific.
>
> I downloaded gnat-3.15p-nt.exe in April of 2004.  Would that do?  If
> not, where can I download *the newest*?
>
> Also, since you didn't answer, is there a summary or reference guide for
> the new features in Ada200Y?
>
> Andrew

No, Ada 2005 features stared appearing only in GCC >= 3.4.  You can
also use the main line, it has more Ada 2005 features.  Duncan would
probably recommend the pre-tree-ssa CVS tag.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-25  8:11 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-25  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> Humph.  Okay, I'll be a little more specific.
>
> I downloaded gnat-3.15p-nt.exe in April of 2004.  Would that do?

No!

> If
> not, where can I download *the newest*?

cvs://:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc/gcc

You might want to read:

http://ada.krischik.com/gnat-3_4.html

Of corse if you want to try Ada 2004 you need Version 4.0.x.

> Also, since you didn't answer, is there a summary or reference guide for
> the new features in Ada200Y?

Well, I am looking for that one too. I did add some features to the wiki
site:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada

Prehaps we could start an Ada 2005 summary page there.

Martin

From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-25  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-01-25 11:28   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-01-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> No, Ada 2005 features stared appearing only in GCC >= 3.4.  You can
> also use the main line, it has more Ada 2005 features.  Duncan would
> probably recommend the pre-tree-ssa CVS tag.

Which one is that?
cvs [checkout aborted]: no such tag pre-tree-ssa

georg

* Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-28  7:04 Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2005-01-28  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Comp. Lang. Ada

> ------------------------------
> From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
> Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
[snip]
> > If
> > not, where can I download *the newest*?
>
> cvs://:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc/gcc

Hmmm, not looking good for a dialup user.  Ahh, maybe I should buy a
commercial copy.  Anyone know if there is a commercial compiler that has the
"experimental" Ada200Y features?

[snip]
> Well, I am looking for that one too. I did add some features
> to the wiki
> site:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada
>
> Prehaps we could start an Ada 2005 summary page there.
>
> Martin
> ------------------------------

I am willing to help with the wiki.  I don't know how much time I can spend
on it and I'm not an expert with Ada yet but I'll do what I can.  If 'we'
want the summary to include examples then, again, I'll probably need a
compiler to experiment with the new Ada200Y features.  At the moment I don't
really feel like taking 20 hours or so to download the code and do the make.
I don't think I have enough space left on this hard drive anyway (according
to your Programing:Ada instructions).

Also, if 'we' publish something to the wiki does it mean that I cannot use
the information I submitted for the wiki to publish a book on the new
features?  I mean if time is invested then why not publish a book?  That is
of course if I had permission from everyone else involved in coming up with
the new features.  Just a thought.

Andrew

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-28  7:31 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-28  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

>> ------------------------------
>> From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
>> Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
> [snip]
>> > If
>> > not, where can I download *the newest*?
>>
>> cvs://:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc/gcc
>
> Hmmm, not looking good for a dialup user.  Ahh, maybe I should buy a
> commercial copy.  Anyone know if there is a commercial compiler that has
> the "experimental" Ada200Y features?

I had been a dial-up user for a while (Thanks to German Telecom using glass
fiber up to that magic last mile.). Its a one off effort - they don't
change to may files on update.

> [snip]
>> Well, I am looking for that one too. I did add some features
>> to the wiki
>> site:
>>
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada
>>
>> Prehaps we could start an Ada 2005 summary page there.
>>
>> Martin
>> ------------------------------
>
> I am willing to help with the wiki.  I don't know how much time I can
> spend
> on it and I'm not an expert with Ada yet but I'll do what I can.
> If 'we'
> want the summary to include examples then, again, I'll probably need a
> compiler to experiment with the new Ada200Y features.  At the moment I
> don't really feel like taking 20 hours or so to download the code and do
> the make.

Well with ISDN it was maybe 3 hours - remember to use "cvs -z9" to activate
compression. Textfile compress quite well.

> I don't think I have enough space left on this hard drive anyway
> (according to your Programing:Ada instructions).

current figures:

du -h -s gcc i686-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-suse-linux

344M    gcc
903M    i686-pc-linux-gnu
1,7G    x86_64-suse-linux

Now don't ask my why x86_64 takes twice the space. Of corse not many users
have 4 versions compiler (the two windows compiles are currently
"clean"ed).

> Also, if 'we' publish something to the wiki does it mean that I cannot use
> the information I submitted for the wiki to publish a book on the new
> features?  I mean if time is invested then why not publish a book?  That
> is of course if I had permission from everyone else involved in coming up
> with
> the new features.  Just a thought.

Ahh yes, I allways wanted to write a Book about programming. In fact I think
wiki is a good start.

As for legalities:  You can allways use your own contributions for whatever
you want. At least thats my impression. But then I live in continental
europe where we have "Urherberrecht" and not "Copyright". (One is the
rights of the Author the other the right to copy - important difference:
The rights of the Author cannot be taken away from you.)

Martin

--

       [not found] <20050128080037.DE4BA4C4148@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2005-01-28  9:09 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2005-01-28  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> ------------------------------
> From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
> Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
[snip]
> current figures:
>
> du -h -s gcc i686-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-suse-linux
>
> 344M    gcc
> 903M    i686-pc-linux-gnu
> 1,7G    x86_64-suse-linux

Well, I currently have 1.4G available.  Without the Windows "Service Crap"
and "SoftwareDistribution" folders I would gain another 1G.  Even then I've
yet to install some software I need for other projects.  I could buy an
external drive or something and pay for faster internet but, all things
considered, it might be easier and cost the same amount to just buy the
compiler.

> Now don't ask my why x86_64 takes twice the space. Of corse
> not many users
> have 4 versions compiler (the two windows compiles are currently
> "clean"ed).

Okay, I won't ask.

> Ahh yes, I allways wanted to write a Book about programming.
> In fact I think wiki is a good start.

So how do you want to go about wiki-ing Ada200Y?

Andrew

* Re: Archives for C.L.A
@ 2005-01-28 12:06   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-28 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

>> ------------------------------
>> From: Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com>
>> Subject: Re: Archives for C.L.A
> [snip]
>> current figures:
>>
>> du -h -s gcc i686-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-suse-linux
>>
>> 344M    gcc
>> 903M    i686-pc-linux-gnu
>> 1,7G    x86_64-suse-linux
>
> Well, I currently have 1.4G available.  Without the Windows "Service Crap"
> and "SoftwareDistribution" folders I would gain another 1G.  Even then
> I've
> yet to install some software I need for other projects.  I could buy an
> external drive or something and pay for faster internet but, all things
> considered, it might be easier and cost the same amount to just buy the
> compiler.

Well, for Windows you get some Ada 2005 functions in gcc 3.4.2. Of course
not as may as in a cvs HEAD release.

>> Ahh yes, I allways wanted to write a Book about programming.
>> In fact I think wiki is a good start.
>
> So how do you want to go about wiki-ing Ada200Y?

As you do in wiki, you just start:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:2005

Currently I collect the needed informations from:

http://www.ada-auth.org/AI-XREF.HTML#Amend_Doc

There a quite a lot of them!

With Regards

Martin