* Any problem with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?
@ 2014-07-17 20:56 Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-07-17 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any problems with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?

I have sent queries to listserv to make sure I am not losing messages
due to spam filtering by Google and I am not getting any automated
initially subscribed however.

Now I've started to wonder if my responses to the questions asked got
through to the list. I don't want people to think I am ignoring the
questions I have been asked.

[Randy's not available for a week or I would have sent mail to him
directly.]

Thanks,

Simon.

From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-07-17 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Clubley wrote:

> Are there any problems with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?

Not that I know of.  I received copies of both of your proposals, and
I've received messages on the list as late as 7 hours ago.

I think you should see the slow responses as an indication that (it is
summer and) the proposals are sufficiently well written to warrant
consideration at an ARG meeting.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin!"

@ 2014-07-17 22:52   ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2014-07-17 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:41:53 PM UTC-7, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Simon Clubley wrote:
>
> > Are there any problems with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?
>
> Not that I know of.  I received copies of both of your proposals, and
> I've received messages on the list as late as 7 hours ago.
>
> I think you should see the slow responses as an indication that (it is
> summer and) the proposals are sufficiently well written to warrant
> consideration at an ARG meeting.

I don't think you understood.  The slow responses he's talking about are automated responses that the list server is supposed to be providing.

After Simon posted his question, I sent a "help Ada-Comment" message to the listserv; that was 90 minutes ago and I haven't gotten a response yet.

So it's possible that there's a problem.

                             -- Adam

* Re: Any problem with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?
@ 2014-07-18 11:51     ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-07-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-07-17, Adam Beneschan <adambeneschan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:41:53 PM UTC-7, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>> Simon Clubley wrote:
>>
>> > Are there any problems with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?
>>
>> Not that I know of.  I received copies of both of your proposals, and
>> I've received messages on the list as late as 7 hours ago.
>>
>> I think you should see the slow responses as an indication that (it is
>> summer and) the proposals are sufficiently well written to warrant
>> consideration at an ARG meeting.
>
> I don't think you understood.  The slow responses he's talking about are
> automated responses that the list server is supposed to be providing.

Exactly. I sent a query to listserv just to make sure I was seeing
everything. When the responses to several queries didn't arrive,
I then started wondering if my two responses to Tucker Taft (not the
initial two submissions) had arrived at the list.

I don't want people to think I am ignoring the questions which have
been asked of me.

> After Simon posted his question, I sent a "help Ada-Comment" message to the
> listserv; that was 90 minutes ago and I haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks for running the test, Adam. I still have not seen the automated

Simon.

@ 2014-07-18 14:59     ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2014-07-18 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

18.7.2014 1:52, Adam Beneschan wrote:
> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:41:53 PM UTC-7, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>> Simon Clubley wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any problems with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?
>>
>> Not that I know of.  I received copies of both of your proposals, and
>> I've received messages on the list as late as 7 hours ago.
>>
>> I think you should see the slow responses as an indication that (it is
>> summer and) the proposals are sufficiently well written to warrant
>> consideration at an ARG meeting.
>
> I don't think you understood.  The slow responses he's talking about are automated responses that the list server is supposed to be providing.
>
> After Simon posted his question, I sent a "help Ada-Comment" message to the listserv; that was 90 minutes ago and I haven't gotten a response yet.
>
> So it's possible that there's a problem.

I think this is just a feature of the mailing lists run by RR Software.

For me automated replies have taken over 24 hours sometimes.

I susped that all messages go through the moderation queue, so
the mailing list admin need to accept also the ones meant
for these "automatic services".

@ 2014-07-18 17:52       ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-07-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-07-18, Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> 18.7.2014 1:52, Adam Beneschan wrote:
>>
>> After Simon posted his question, I sent a "help Ada-Comment" message to the listserv; that was 90 minutes ago and I haven't gotten a response yet.
>>
>> So it's possible that there's a problem.
>
> I think this is just a feature of the mailing lists run by RR Software.
>
> For me automated replies have taken over 24 hours sometimes.
>
> I susped that all messages go through the moderation queue, so
> the mailing list admin need to accept also the ones meant
> for these "automatic services".

That's interesting thanks, I didn't realise that.

I'll leave it for a few more days in that case.

Thanks,

Simon.

@ 2014-07-21 22:42       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-07-21 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tero Koskinen" <tero.koskinen@iki.fi> wrote in message
> 18.7.2014 1:52, Adam Beneschan wrote:

>>> Not that I know of.  I received copies of both of your proposals, and
>>> I've received messages on the list as late as 7 hours ago.
>>>
>>> I think you should see the slow responses as an indication that (it is
>>> summer and) the proposals are sufficiently well written to warrant
>>> consideration at an ARG meeting.
>>
>> I don't think you understood.  The slow responses he's talking about are
>> automated responses that the list server is supposed to be providing.
>>
>> After Simon posted his question, I sent a "help Ada-Comment" message to
>> the listserv; that was 90 minutes ago and I haven't gotten a response
>> yet.
>>
>> So it's possible that there's a problem.
>
> I think this is just a feature of the mailing lists run by RR Software.
>
> For me automated replies have taken over 24 hours sometimes.
>
> I susped that all messages go through the moderation queue, so
> the mailing list admin need to accept also the ones meant
> for these "automatic services".

The usual problem is that the automatic service messages are so short that
they trigger the anti-spam filter's "excessively short message" filter. Thus
I have to forward them, which doesn't happen when I'm in the woods of
Minnesota. (I've never gotten remote moderation to work, as both Hotmail and
GMail discard the moderation messages without ever delivering them.
Presumably they look like spam to those systems.)

You can work around that particular problem by adding some additional text
to your message. For instance, I think that a message like:

help Ada-comment
stop
Ada is great! Ada is grand! Randy's spam filter is too aggressive unless I
append this junk!

would get through. (The "stop" tells the engine to not read the rest of the
message.)

Hopefully, no spammers are reading this. ;-)

                                  Randy.

P.S. I haven't emptied the spam quarentine yet -- probably all of your
messages are in there.

* Search in Ada-Comment mailing list? (was: Re: Any problem with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?)
@ 2014-08-10 17:59         ` MatthiasR
From: MatthiasR @ 2014-08-10 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> You can work around that particular problem by adding some additional text
> to your message. For instance, I think that a message like:
>
> help Ada-comment
> stop
> Ada is great! Ada is grand! Randy's spam filter is too aggressive unless I
> append this junk!
>
> would get through. (The "stop" tells the engine to not read the rest of
> the message.)

That does the trick! I managed to join the list with such an 'enhanced'
message.
Then I wanted to retrieve the messages from Simon Clubley. I tried these
search expressions:

search ada-comment subject atomic record

search ada-comment subject atomic

search ada-comment subject Atomic

Then I gave up - all were replied with 'No expression match'

Has someone any hints how to use the search function of the list server?
I read the help, think I understood it, but apparently I have done something
wrong...

Matthias

* Re: Search in Ada-Comment mailing list? (was: Re: Any problem with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?)
@ 2014-08-11 12:27           ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-08-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-08-10, MatthiasR <MatthiasR@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Then I wanted to retrieve the messages from Simon Clubley. I tried these
> search expressions:

If it helps you, the subject lines on my two threads are:

	Adding partial aggregate functionality to Ada
	Does Atomic on a record apply to it's components ?

> search ada-comment subject atomic record
>
> search ada-comment subject atomic
>
> search ada-comment subject Atomic
>
> Then I gave up - all were replied with 'No expression match'
>
> Has someone any hints how to use the search function of the list server?
> I read the help, think I understood it, but apparently I have done something
> wrong...

See if you get any further with a lookup by date.

I submitted the initial messages early on 14th July (UK time), so start
from 13th July and work forwards (the replies started coming on 15th
July).

Simon.

@ 2014-08-11 23:51           ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-08-11 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"MatthiasR" <MatthiasR@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Randy Brukardt wrote:
>
>> You can work around that particular problem by adding some additional
>> text
>> to your message. For instance, I think that a message like:
>>
>> help Ada-comment
>> stop
>> Ada is great! Ada is grand! Randy's spam filter is too aggressive unless
>> append this junk!
>>
>> would get through. (The "stop" tells the engine to not read the rest of
>> the message.)
>
> That does the trick! I managed to join the list with such an 'enhanced'
> message.
> Then I wanted to retrieve the messages from Simon Clubley. I tried these
> search expressions:
>
> search ada-comment subject atomic record
>
> search ada-comment subject atomic
>
> search ada-comment subject Atomic
>
> Then I gave up - all were replied with 'No expression match'
>
> Has someone any hints how to use the search function of the list server?
> I read the help, think I understood it, but apparently I have done
> something
> wrong...

The few times I've tried to retrieve mail with the search functions, I
couldn't consistently get good results. So I don't use them. I just looked
in the PDF instructions for the list server, and the commands you sent
appear correct. So I don't know what to say.

Since Simon gave you the dates, you could get grab the digests for each day
starting with the first one:
   get-digest ada-comment 2014-07-14

You can put several of these into one request once you get the hang of it.

===

Usually, I'd suggest searching in the appropriate AIs using the search
engine; for Ada 2012, that is found at
   http://www.ada-auth.org/search-ai12s.html
(it's linked from http://www.ada-auth.org/ais.html).
Almost all of the Ada-Comment mail ends up filed on some AI (the rest goes
into ACs, which essentially is a place to file stuff that won't be
considered).

Even easier, just search the entire ACAA website (including all of the AIs
and ACs): http://www.ada-auth.org/search.html

[Note that the original subject lines, e-mail addresses and signatures are
filed off of those, the former because they'd potentially be confusing and
certainly redundant in linear reading, the latter just to make it harder for
spammers and because they tend to change occassionally while this
information is expected to live forever.]

BUT, that only works on mail that's already been processed into AIs/ACs,
posted on the website, and the search index has been updated. That's only
certain immediately before an ARG meeting; the rest of the year, I do the
tasks as time is available and not necessarily all at the same time. (Right
now, all mail through June 23rd has been processed, obviously that doesn't
include the set you're interested in.)

* Re: Search in Ada-Comment mailing list? (was: Re: Any problem with the Ada-Comment mailing list ?)
@ 2014-08-15  7:13             ` MatthiasR
From: MatthiasR @ 2014-08-15  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> The few times I've tried to retrieve mail with the search functions, I
> couldn't consistently get good results. So I don't use them. I just looked
> in the PDF instructions for the list server, and the commands you sent
> appear correct. So I don't know what to say.
>
> Since Simon gave you the dates, you could get grab the digests for each
> day starting with the first one:
>    get-digest ada-comment 2014-07-14
>
> You can put several of these into one request once you get the hang of it.

Thanks. I finally managed to retrieve the mails I'm interested in:

- get-archive ada-comment date {date} didn't work (same thing as search ada-
comment)

- multiple get-digest requests in one mail didn't work (I got no response)

- get-digest ada comment {date} worked (most of the time - I had to send the
query twice for some of the dates...)

So I requested (and got) the digests for the period from 2014-07-13 to the
date when I joined the list one after another.

The user interface for the list archive is a somewhat archaic...
Usually, I prefer to browse the archives to get a general idea of the
discussions there before I join a list.
That's virtually impossible in the case of Ada-comment.

But anyway - I got the informations I was looking for :-)

Matthias