* A farewell to Ada
@ 1989-11-14 21:24 Ted Holden
From: Ted Holden @ 1989-11-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

      I've noticed that much of the present scholastic debate over Ada
involves fine points concerning the letter of the law (was Ada "intended"
to function in embedded systems etc.).  This is the kind of thing I expect
to see associated with losing causes.  Remember, the Apostle said
something like: "The letter of the law killeth, whereas the spirit giveth
life..."  People involved with winning causes are usually too busy making
money to be arguing over the letter of the law.

      The spirit of the Ada documents was never in doubt.  What was wanted
was a language which could be used for every kind of software project,
from embedded system to large database, and run on every kind of computer
system, from micro to mainframe.  Reasonable performance was expected on
all computers and for all projects.  Ability to run with minimal OS and
other language support was wanted.  Further, logical clarity and large-
scale re-usability of software was desired.

Journal articles indicate a continuing failure of Ada to work for embedded
systems as well as for large scale projects, a continuing failure to run
with acceptable performance on anything other than parallel or special-
purpose, expensive systems, and an actual gain in cross-system complexity
and decrease in the stated goal of reuseability.  In particular, the
ordinary systems which most people will be seeing in front of them for the
next 5 - 15 years, UNIX systems and PCs, will not run Ada accepteably.

C began with real machines, real programmers.  The idea seems to have
been:

      "Lets take a hard look at this little PDP-7 and design a language
      which is one-to-one with its logical operations as many ways as
      possible (the plus-plus operator and register increments and so on)
      so that the code is as FAST as can be contrived, maximally easy to
      implement (so that next year when we get our PDP7.5 or whatever,
      we're back rolling in 2 weeks), and, within these constraints, is
      as amenable to human logic as possible in a no-nonsense, point-and-
      shoot kind of way, so that we end up with a kind of high-structured,
      low-level language; a thinking-man's assembler.  And then, let's
      write an operating system (UNIX) in that language so that, when we
      get our PDP-7.5, or the next year's computer, whatever it may be,
      we're REALLY back rolling two weeks later.

The maximal ease of implementation was achieved by making the core
language as small as possible, other functionality being left to the
operating system and to libraries, some standard amongst UNIX systems and
others peculiar to various other OSs and hardware bases for which C would
be implemented.  This allowed good and inexpensive C compilers to evolve
rapidly for PCs and other micros and, since the authors of those compilers
maintained the standard libraries as close as possible to the UNIX
implementations, C became the natural bridge between mid-sized and large
computers running UNIX and the micros.

C thus achieved its present position of dominance in the mini-micro world,
and appears to be well poised for the future as well.  C++ appears to be
an entirely rational and intelligent extension of C, superimposing the
entire object-oriented paradigm including the features Ada leaves out.
In particular, there appears to be no more than a 5% performance
degradation, if that, going from C to C++, at least judging from Turbo C
2.0 and the Zortech C++ compiler, and I assume the same will hold true
when you start seeing good native-mode C++ compilers for UNIX.

In fact, C++ appears to BE the very language which Ada was supposed to be
(the spirit of the law) but never can and never will be.

Far from sharing this "real-world" sort of a heritage, Ada appears to have
its beginnings on the other edge of reality or non-reality, dependant on
one's point of view.  Ada appears to have been designed as a physical
embodiment of state-of-the-art principles of "software-engineering",
whatever that's supposed to mean, seemingly by assembling 300 committee
members in a room, having each draw up a maximum possible wish-list of
features for a programming language and/or operating system, and then
adding up all of the lists to a "standard", with any considerations of
real-world computers being regarded as unimportant.

Ada is what you might expect from a programming language designed by
committee;  it is unbelievably slow, an unbelievable resource hog,
involves constant dilemmas over which is the real OS today, Ada or UNIX,
Ada or Dos etc. i.e. do we use Ada tasking, again frighteningly slow, or
ordinary UNIX tasking and inter-process communication, Ada source control
or SCCS, etc.  Naturally, the Ada task manager and the UNIX process
scheduler clash.  As for compiling, my experience has been that, with a
PC and lots of memory to play with, Ada compilers at least will get back
to you on the same DAY;  on a UNIX machine with ten other users doing
various other kinds of things, God forbid other Ada compiles, forget it.

The one thing which one might reasonably expect all of this slowness and
clunk to purchase, the one thing which might partially redeem the
situation were Ada to have it, is the object oriented paradigm:
inheritance of classes and polymorphism.  Ada doesn't have it.

Most of the Ada journal articles begin with glowing headlines, and you
have to be able to read between the lines, but this isn't terribly
difficult.  For instance, a large section of articles in the December 88
Journal of Electronic Defense began with the title "Ada:  Maybe Not So Bad
After All". Remember, Ada has been around since 1979.  If that were the
best anybody could say about C after ten years, C compiler salesmen would
be starving and dying like flies.

     A senior Intel product marketing engineer is quoted on page 36 of the
same issue:

      "the people who designed the Ada programming language were compiler
      experts, software experts - they weren't necessarily people familiar
      with real-time embedded systems."

Another article in the same issue describes the use of Ada in connection
with a real-time embedded digital signal processing application.  Since
Ada tasking could not be made fast enough for such work, the engineers
adapted a commercial run-time system, VRTX, and informed all programmers:

     "Thou shalt not use Ada tasking, but rather VRTX tasking.
     "Thou shalt not use Ada dynamic memory allocation...
     "Thou shalt not use Ada generics; too slow...

and, when they finished with the "Thou shalt nots", what they had
left of Ada was a subset of Pascal which they had paid many thousands of
dollars for.  A far better Pascal compiler is produced by Borland and can
be had at B Dalton's for around $100.  Needless to say, the Rupe-
Goldbergesque system they ended up with was considerably less maintainable
than they might have gotten just using C.  This seems to be the rule.

The September/October 88 issue of Defense Computing carried a similar
article:  "Running in Real Time:  A Problem for Ada".  All other stories
concerning Ada and embedded systems read similarly.

     Does Ada work any better for large scale systems?  Another article
in the same Journal of Electronics Defense issue describing use of Ada on
the 1,246,000 line Army AFATDS system claims that:

      "Ninety percent of the software requirements were met with no major
      software problems."

as if this were good.  The man is claiming that he had major language-
related problems with 124,600 lines of code out of 1,246,000.  Again C
language is not noted for this kind of thing, nor would C be around if it
were.

     There was a recent DOD Computing Journal Article titled "Is Ada
Getting Better or Just Older?".  Again you don't read that sort of thing
about C.  There is the August 21 89 issue of Government Computer News
describing the problems which the huge FAA Advanced Automation System is
having due to IBM Ada implementations and tools (or lack thereof).

     The SoftTech notes from the RICIS convention included mention of one
speaker's statement:  "Ada and UNIX doesn't work".  I've heard that a
million times from users, first time that succinctly in print.  Between
UNIX and Ada, UNIX is the real-world standard;  conflicts between it and
Ada will not be resolved in favor of Ada.  Hate to disillusion anybody...

     It would appear that the articles written by the real-time people are
saying "well, it isn't doing us any good but it must be working out great
for the mainframe guys, else why would we still be seeing it and be
ordered to use it?" and that the mainframe and database crowd is claiming
just the opposite.  Somebody must be hoping that nobody ever reads all of
these articles and starts putting two and two together.

      There are numerous problems associated with the fact that Ada
believes itself to be an OS, aside from the clashes between Ada and real
operating systems.  There is the further obvious problem that somebody
with a large mainframe/Cobol application which he thinks to port to a
UNIX/Ada system will need to redesign and rewrite his entire system from
scratch whereas, using C language, he might have written Cobol-callable
routines incrementally and had his application back up in a matter of days
or weeks instead of years.  There is no real way to call an operating
system from a Cobol program.

      The actual use of Ada is further complicated by three considerations
which really amount to theological problems INVOLVING Ada rather than
faults of Ada itself, but which, nonetheless, probably wouldn't exist if
Ada didn't exist.

First, the programming style being promulgated by DOD for Ada is anti-
conducive to the stated goal of readability;  it's like looking at a
thousand-page novel such as "War and Peace" with three or four lines of
programming code interspersed every second page or so.  The verbiage hides
the logic.  When every variable name looks like:

      "NUMBER_OF_CROWS_SALLY_ANNS_GRANDMOTHER_SHOT_WITH_HER_12_
      GAUGE_-LAST_TUESDAY",

then a single subroutine call (involving several such variables) can take
up a whole page.  In my own scheme of things, I try to keep literature and
programming separate.

Second, DOD is often insisting on portability via Ada rather than
portability via UNIX, POSIX calls etc.  This amounts to such things as
insisting, for instance, that vendors provide direct Ada hooks to a
database rather than simply writing an Ada -> C -> database hook.  Typical
vendor response is either "F... You" or "Manana".

A third is an over-emphasis on design, which often leads to grief in the
real-world.  I believe in designing in the large, nailing down interfaces
at tightly as possible, then rapid prototyping of individual modules,
followed by final design documentation and PDLs at low level.  I know of
numerous horror stories involving design-totally-then-code, but one very
recent one, naturally involving Ada, seems to top all.

A military project involving Sun machines and Ada was abandoned after
something like 4 years and $30 million effort because of unacceptable
performance;  database screens were taking over a minute to come up.  The
design work had all been done according to your formula, the individual
modules had been designed, written, and tested, all according to the
standard military schedules and formulas (2167 etc.).  Everything seemed
hunky dory, only when they put the fricking thing together, it was too
damned slow to use.  And, the remarkable thing is, the very system the
military insists upon for management of software contracts prevented
anybody from knowing they were in trouble until four years and millions
had been blown.  The government people involved were essentially reduced
to the role of actors in a Greek tragedy.

Asked for a solution, my firm weighed the choice between offering an Ada-
to-C converter and silence, and opted for silence.

It sometimes seems to me that the Soviet military is kept backwards in
computers by a temporary lack of funds, while our military is required by
law to be backwards, and that may not be temporary.  Any rate, my guess
is that the general Russian skill with linguistics would prevent them from
ever being ensnared with Ada;  they would take one look and toss it.
Slava Bogu.

      Ada threatens to leave DoD stranded and technologically backwards;
out of the mainstream of American computer science.  The better class of
programmers coming out of the schools will be used to the 2 second
compiles of Turbo C and Turbo Pascal.  Offer them jobs involving Ada, and
most if not all of them are probably going to give you the finger,
figuring they'd be happier selling used cars for a living.

      There is the further problem of our present micro market being a
completely open system;  a representative of the KGB, the Turkish Empire,
the Green Dragon Tong, the successors to the AssHola Khomeini, Khadaffi,
or anybody else could walk into a B. Dalton's today and buy a copy of
Turbo C 2.0 or Zortech C++ for about $100.  Again, if I were the guy up
there getting into machine gun and rocket fights at 1600 mph, the last
thing I'd want to hear was that my machine guns and rockets were working
slower and/or less reliably than the other guy's because he bought a copy
of Turbo C at B. Dalton's, while my people were spending billions on Ada.

Ted Holden
HTE

* Re: A farewell to Ada
@ 1989-11-19  3:33 Ted Holden
From: Ted Holden @ 1989-11-19  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lots of good replies....

From: Richard S D'Ippolito, Software Engineering Institute, Pittsburgh, PA

>>     Does Ada work any better for large scale systems?  Another article
>>in the same Journal of Electronics Defense issue describing use of Ada on
>>the 1,246,000 line Army AFATDS system claims that:
>>
>>      "Ninety percent of the software requirements were met with no major
>>      software problems."
>>
>>as if this were good.  The man is claiming that he had major language-
>>related problems with 124,600 lines of code out of 1,246,000.

>how can you expect to be taken seriously?  Do you really believe the math
>and premises behind your statement?  Wow!

The journal should be in your library or in that of Carnegie Mellon.  I'm
sure as hell not making any of this stuff up.  Get serious.  I'm quoting
one of your own journals which was necessarily written in such a way as
to paint Ada in as FAVORABLE a light as possible, and the most favorable
thing the one gentleman could say was that he ONLY had major problems
with 10% of his code.  Pretty sad.

From: Bill Wolf, Clemson

>>From article <14033@grebyn.com>, by ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden):
>> Journal articles indicate a continuing failure of Ada to work for embedded
>> systems as well as for large scale projects, a continuing failure to run
>> with acceptable performance on anything other than parallel or special-
>> purpose, expensive systems, and an actual gain in cross-system complexity
>> and decrease in the stated goal of reuseability.

>   This is blatantly false; consider the November 1988 article
>   in IEEE Software ("Large Ada projects show productivity gains"):

>      After years of development and an initial skeptical reception,
>      many people are now using Ada and saying that they like it...
>      The growth in Ada's use has been helped by favorable reports
>      from early adopters ("Ada Catches on in the Commercial Market,
>      Soft News, IEEE Software, November 1986, p. 81) and by the
>      growing number of validated compilers... project results show
>      that Ada can greatly increase productivity for large systems...
>      [in a 1.2-million-line Ada project] reuseable software developed
>      on the project was counted only once.  Roughly 13 percent of the
>      delivered software was reuseable.  This reuse saved 190 man-months
>      of effort (a 9-percent savings) and reduced the schedule by two
>      calender months (a 4-percent savings)... Productivity for the
>      execution environment -- including the operating system, data
>      management, information management, communications support, and
>      communications interface -- was 550 lines per man-month...
>      Productivity for the applications software... was 704 lines per
>      man-month... the average productivity of the 1,500 systems in
>      productivity consultant Lawrence Putnam's database: 77 lines
>      per man-month (at the 1.2-million-line level)...

>   Sounds like a continuing *success* to me...

Sounds very subjective to me and it sounds like a lot of factors are
being left out.  The funny thing is, that this subjective argument
concerning productivity is the only technical or quasi-technical
argument I have ever heard in favor of Ada.  Every other argument in
favor of Ada which I have ever heard was a variant of:

        "We will cut your ____ie off if you do not use Ada on your
        project..."

That's not much to have to say to the world.

>> In particular, the
>> ordinary systems which most people will be seeing in front of them for the
>> next 5 - 15 years, UNIX systems and PCs, will not run Ada accepteably.

>   Precisely the point of Dr. Charles McKay, head of the Software
>   Engineering Research Consortium, in his Tri-Ada '88 presentation,
>   "Standards for the Sake of Standards -- A Recipe for Failure".

>   A prime example is Unix; the current POSIX effort aims to
>   standardize 1960's technology, thus resulting in a "lowest
>   common denominator" which locks users into obsolescence.

Proprietary OSs lock users into obsolescence;  UNIX frees them.
Until Dr. McKay publishes HIS portable OS and large numbers of people
begin using it, UNIX will remain the only answer.

>   Ada's problem with Unix is that Unix, being 1960's technology,
>   does not properly support lightweight processes.  Modernized
>   versions of Unix (e.g., MACH) which are designed to provide
>   such support remove the difficulty.  Note that C or C++ programs
>   making use of the same "heavyweight" tasking facility will be
>   equally slow, since they rely on precisely the same system.

>   If one does not have to struggle with the limitations of *Unix*,
>   then there is a wide selection of Ada compilers which run Ada
>   within that environment quite nicely.  Some, like the Telesoft
>   TeleGen2 compiler, have global optimization facilities which
>   result in better code than that which can be produced by current
>   C compilers (as of Tri-Ada '88).

I have personally watched the Telesoft Telegen Ada compiler take over 20
minutes to compile a 35 line program into a 300 KB executable on a 68020
based machine with almost nothing else happening on it.  Knowing the Ada
community's idea of progress, I'd expect the Telegen2 to take about 15
minutes to do the same job.

Mach is five years away from anything approaching large scale use in
America;  right now, it is a student's hobbyshop project, albeit a hell
of an interesting one.  Mach-like or Mach-derived products such as the
Sequent OS are beginning to be seen and, if your name is John
Rockafeller, you should have no difficulty coming up with such a system
to run Ada on.  Ada does, in fact, run accepteably on a Sequent.
Remember, however, the difficulties of building semetric parallellism
into an imbedded system;  that aileron controller won't be a Sequent.
Remember also that the primary customer for Ada is supposed to be
the U.S. military.  Do you have any idea what the state of the art for
computer hardware is in the U.S. military?  We're talking about
Unisys/Arrete 5000/80's, 5000/90's, 8186-based devices running Zenix on
top of BTOS.....  The 5000/95's are just now being installed.  Get
the idea?

As for struggling with the "limitations" of UNIX, you'd better either
get used to it or move to Mars.  There is no other easily portable,
mature operating system.  Without it, you'll always be using
ten-year-old hardware, because developing an OS the old way (like IBM
and Microsoft seem intent on doing with BS/2) takes ten years.  They
paint themselves into some funny corners with it, like trying to tell
the world that the N-10 chip is actually a graphics coprocessor for the
486.  That's like having Theodore Roosavelt serve as Jimmy Carter's
secretary of agriculture;  it's driven by the obvious accessment of the
chances of running BS/2 on an N-10, which is about like the chance of
hell freezing over tommorrow morning.

>> C began with real machines, real programmers.  The idea seems to have
>> been:  [...] end up with a kind of high-structured, low-level language;
>> a thinking-man's assembler.

>   Fortunately, the economics of software development are in favor
>   of using considerably higher-level languages.

Then perhaps you could explain the total dominance of C in the
mini/micro world, the only completely healthy segment of the computer
market?  The last figures I've read indicated that 65 percent of all
software development in this world was being done in C, and the next
highest figure for any other language was around six percent.  Are
Borland, MicroSoft, Lotus, Ashton-Tate, WordPerfect, and all of
those companies just that stupid?

>> C++ appears to BE the very language which Ada was supposed to be
>> (the spirit of the law) but never can and never will be.

>   Total rubbish; C++ retains all the low-level and dangerous
>   facilities of C, which is obsolescent by modern software
>   engineering standards.  As stated by Fairley (Software

Those features are there because they are necessary for real world
programming.  Tacking those features onto or into an Ada program (which
is meant for real-world use) is not a superior solution;  it makes
for non-portable code.

>> There is no real way to call [Ada] from a Cobol program.

>   Ada users can call COBOL or any other language using pragma
>   INTERFACE; COBOL needs to have a similar standardized means
>   of calling other languages.  Given that it does not, ad hoc
>   means of calling other languages have been devised; there is
>   no reason why such techniques cannot be used to call Ada just
>   as well as C or any other language.  But this is COBOL's problem,
>   not Ada's.

Dead wrong.  This is a grey area, but Ada tasking basically requires
that the starting point be an Ada program i.e. predictable results/full
Ada functionality are not possible from an Ada module called from a
routine written in another language.  The requirements to link
low-level kinds of routines into Cobol programs are very real.  Every
Ada manual I've seen says that results from such code are unpredictable.

>> A military project involving Sun machines and Ada was abandoned after
>> something like 4 years and $30 million effort because of unacceptable
>> performance;  database screens were taking over a minute to come up.  The
>> design work had all been done according to your formula, the individual
>> modules had been designed, written, and tested, all according to the
>> standard military schedules and formulas (2167 etc.).  Everything seemed
>> hunky dory, only when they put the fricking thing together, it was too
>> damned slow to use.  And, the remarkable thing is, the very system the
>> military insists upon for management of software contracts prevented
>> anybody from knowing they were in trouble until four years and millions
>> had been blown.  The government people involved were essentially reduced
>> to the role of actors in a Greek tragedy.
>>
>> Asked for a solution, my firm weighed the choice between offering an Ada-
>> to-C converter and silence, and opted for silence.

>   How about applying a profiler and recoding the "hot spots"?

        There weren't any "cold" spots

>   If the slowness of Unix process handling is a problem, then
>   a more modern version of Unix should be used.  Your company
>   should have considered more than two options.

First, the problem with performance didn't involve UNIX.  Second, to my
knowledge, the vender only offers the one version for the machine.
Again, the customer was not John Rockafeller.

>> [...] There is the August 21 89 issue of Government Computer News
>> describing the problems which the huge FAA Advanced Automation System is
>> having due to IBM Ada implementations and tools (or lack thereof).

>    Apparently IBM has now changed its tune; its recent brochure
>    entitled "Ada and IBM... Capability and Committment" states:

>      IBM is committed to Ada.  Ada's support for modern software
>      engineering concepts, its breadth of application, and its
>      support for reuseable software components place it squarely
>      in the forefront as a language of choice for both IBM's
>      software engineers and for IBM's customers.

IBM was and is committed to PL/1, the PC-Jr, OS/2, MCA...  Apparently,
they have simply added Ada to their list of big-time losers with which
(temporarily) there is a profit to be made.

From: CAROZZONI: The Internet

>>in particular, the
>>ordinary systems which most people will be seeing in front of them for the
>>next 5 - 15 years, UNIX systems and PCs, will not run Ada acceptably.

>        And the technical reason is ?

Inferior design of the programming language.

>        Standardization among C compilers can best be shown by the Billions
>        and Billions of "ifndef"'s and "ifdef"'s in any C program such as
>        the Emacs Editor source code.

You actually USE Emacs?  Did it come bundled with Ada?  Does the
Internet have any kind of a rule regarding picking three losers, like
the old New York three-time-loser law?  How about Emacs, Ada, and Oracle?

>>.....PC and lots of memory to play with, Ada compilers at least will get
>>back to you on the same DAY; ...................................

>        I use Ada on a PC/AT (as do others here) and also use MS C 5.1!
>        We can't agree with you on this. Try reading the Ada compiler
>        installation manual.

The best compile times I've ever heard of either on a VAX class machine
or a 386 is around 1000/2000 lines/minute;  Turbo C is around 15000 on a
fast 286, Zortech C++ about the same, Turbo Pascal around 40000 on a fast
286;  God knows what they run at on a 386.  We're talking about at least
a two-order-of-magnitude differential.

>>......After All". Remember, Ada has been around since 1979.  If that were
>>the best anybody could say about C after ten years, C compiler salesmen would
>>be starving and dying like flies.

>        Your facts are consistently confused. The availability of validated Ada
>        compilers covering a reasonable selection of machines have only
>        been around for 4-5 years.

Ada started in 79;  taking 6 years to write a validated compiler doesn't
speak favorably of your efforts.  World War II was fought in less time.

>>.................... "Ada and UNIX doesn't work".  I've heard that a
>>million times from users, first time that succinctly in print.  Between
>>UNIX and Ada, UNIX is the real-world standard..................

>        The UNIX standard? (BDS, System 5, Xenix, OSF, UI, Mach etc)?

Pick one.

>>      Ada threatens to leave DoD stranded and technologically backwards;
>>out of the mainstream of American computer science..............

>        A recent article indicated that Ada and Ada like (Pascal, Modula 2)
>        languages are the primary choice for Software Engineering Curriculums.
>        May be you should enroll in one.

Sorry, I live in the real world;  I can't afford the brain damage that
might do.

Am I missing something by citing 1988 and 1987 journals?  Is it possible
that in the year since the articles I have mentioned were printed that
Ada has come of age?  Consider the article concerning the Rational
machine in this week's (Nov 13 89) issue of Government Computer News,
page 47.  It claims the price of the latest Rational Ada development
machine has "come down" to around $100,000.  It also claims that the
machine will be used as a network resource in conjunction with Sun, DEC,
and IBM file servers.

The obvious implication is that these other machines, which are quite
powerful, yet lack the capability for serious Ada development.  Why is
that?  IBM, DEC, and Sun computers can easily be used to develope
software in C, Fortran, Pascal, C++, Cobol...

My own most recent machine is a Primus 386 which runs at 25 mh with no
wait states, has 4 meg main memory and a 104 mh Conner disk which I paid
around $2300 for.  This system could easily be used to develope almost
any kind of software with any reasonable language.  What are you people
getting for the other $97,700 with the Rational?

Consider the possibility of an analogy from the world of medicine.  In
the medical world, the Rational might be referred to as a "heroic
measure", possibly an iron lung.  The patient (in this case, Ada), would
be referred to either as "a terminally ill patient" or "the deceased".

Aside from myself, who is saying that the end is near for Ada?
Possibly, a certain Mr. Gorbachov in the CCCP, who is basically
declaring the cold war to be over, and a Mr. Cheney in Washington D.C.
who is talking about cutting 180 Billion from the U.S. defense budget
over the next five years (Wash. Post, A1, Nov 18, 89).  Anybody care to
bet that Ada doesn't become one of the first casualties of all this?

Ted Holden
HTE

* ADA
@ 1990-03-08 18:46 jj
From: jj @ 1990-03-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

PLEASE YOU WILL PARDON ME BECAUSE I AM A
NEW USER AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST.

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IN THIS BBS IF
YOU USE ADA YOUR PROGRAMS WILL NOT
HAVE ANY BUGS.  I THINK THAT
WOULD BE A VERY GOOD THING.  I
THINK EVERYONE SHOULD USE ADA SO
THEIR WILL NOT BE ANY MORE BUGS.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET ADA FOR
MY RADIO SHACK COLOR COMPUTER (I
USED IT AS A TERMINAL TO TYPE THIS IN).

* A Poor Man's Ada Library
@ 1990-03-12  2:14 Ted Holden
From: Ted Holden @ 1990-03-12  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

     I have come to believe that a good Ada Language library can be
had with very little expense;  everything you need to know about
Ada can be found in three books, if you know how to pick the three.
Here is my impression of the three books you'll need:

1.   Ada advocates talk a great deal about "software engineering",
often as if Ada and software engineering were near synonyms.
Hence, the first book which should be on your shelf should be a
REAL software engineering book.  I recommend Bertrand Meyer's
"Object-Oriented Software Construction", Prentice-Hall
International Series in Computer Science.  Meyer mentions Ada
several times, but only as a bad example, e.g. page 60:

     "Because the term 'Object-Oriented' has been used to describe
     various techniques - even Ada has been claimed to be an
     object-oriented language! - it is useful to distinguish the
     various steps that lead to true object-orientedness."

Object-oriented programming is the only thing which could possibly
help some of the giant projects which are now mandated to be done
in Ada.  Ada doesn't have it now.  Ada probably won't have it with
the 9x version, which will likely include mostly fixes for some of
the present bugs and woes, and given the speed of the process
involved, the 9x standard will probably be out in about a year, a
first compiler in four years, and first near-reasonable compilers
in seven or ten years.  This probably says 14+ years for object-
oriented Ada.

2.   Another term which software engineers, particularly of the Ada
variant, are constantly blathering about is "software reusability".
Hence, the second book in your Ada library should be a "software
reusability" book.  This, I figure, just has to be the Programmers'
Connection catalogue, which can be had free for a phone call to
(800 336-1166).  This catalogue has everything under the sun in it,
at least for the mini-micro/UNIX world, and that about says it all
these days, or at least says most of it.  A programmer with this
catalogue at his disposal can regard his C compiler as a tube of
glue with which to simply glue things from the catalogue together;
that makes for a kind of an easy life.  The catalogue also contains
a few Ada items for perverts, but you will notice that it contains
three indices, one by company, one by product name, and one by
function, and that the function index contains about a fifth of a
column on Ada and several pages on C products.  Hence, in the book
on software reusability, Ada is basically a footnote, and C is the
body of the book.

3.   Of course, I've been saving the good part for last.  The third
book you will need for your Ada library is a real, honest-to-God
Ada book, and here we delve into the realm of humor.  All Ada books
are funny to some extent or other, but my choice will have to be
one pointed out to my by my buddy Harris Reavin:  "Software
Development With Ada", Addison Wesley International Computer
Science Series, by Ian Sommerville and Ron Morrison.  The back
cover reads:

     "The effective use of the Ada programming language will make
     a dramatic difference to the cost and quality of real-time
     software systems.  The aim of this book is to promote an
     understanding of the concepts which underlie the language
     facilities of Ada."

Sounds good, so far, but reading between the covers quickly leads
to high humor:

Page 21

     "Ada programmers have to be more highty skilled than
     programmers in FORTRAN or assembly code because they must
     understand the concepts underlying Ada to use the langnage
     properly. This means that they probably expect to be paid more
     for their sewices, thus increasing implementation costs."

Ada "gurus" are constantly talking about the advantage of Ada for
team projects, but here Sommerville/Morrison are making the point
that the do-everything language is so complex that the only team
likely to succeed at doing anything at all with it is the local
chapter of Mensa.

Again, on pages 22 - 23

     "There is no question whatsoever that the biggest problem in
     changing from Pascal, FORTRAN, or assembly langnage
     programming to Ada is posed by the sheer size of the Ada
     language. Indeed, it has been argued by Hoare (1981) that Ada
     is so large and so complex a language that it will be
     impossible ever to have confidence in its implementation.

     Therefore, the use of Ada might actually reduce software
     reliability.  Hoare's argument is flawed as, whatever its
     faults, Ada is better than assembly language, which is often
     the only altemative. However, we accept that Ada is a large
     and complex language which could and should be trimmed in some
     areas...

     Furthermore, the effective use of Ada constructs, such as
     packages, to implement abstract data types, requires an
     understanding of the concepts that underlie these constructs.
     This implies that the effective use of Ada requires some
     formal training in computer science, and this will pose
     immense problems Ior those organizations whose software
     engineers do not have such a background. This is a fairly
     common situation, and very large training costs must be
     budgeted for in the management of a transition to Ada as the
     principal programming language for systems development."

What do Sommerville/Morrison have to say about the likelihood of
ever actually hiring the local Mensa chapter as your programming
team out on some military base in Muskogee Oklahoma?

On page 37

     "The lnterLisp system is an excellent example of a tightly
     integrated programming environment, but it is unlikely that
     environments to support the development of programs in other
     languages, such as Ada, can be integrated in the same way. Not
     only is language extension forbidden in Ada, but the Ada
     programming community will exhibit a wider range of abilities
     than the InterLisp community who are all highly skilled
     programmers.  Less skilled and motivated workers are not
     likely to be willing to expend the time required to learn
     about a complex, extensible programming environment.  Nor are
     they able to produce powerful tools to extend that
     encironment.  So, although Ada-oriented programming
     environments may be built, they are unlikely to be as tightly
     integrated as InterLisp"

Does this contradiction sound a little bit more serious than the
problem concerning the inner meaning of "break" in C?

Sommerville/Morrison have more to say about Ada:

Page 43

     "Although it is to the credit of the planners of Ada that the
     need for a support environment was recognized, less time and
     effort were expended in establishing the requirements for that
     environment than were spent in the formulation of the langnage
     requirements. This was probably a mistake as sofarare
     engineering tools are as important a part of the soltware
     development process as the programming language used. In fact,
     had the APSE and Ada been designed as an integrated system,
     some of the complexity inherent in Ada might have been
     factored out into the APSE."

Page 69

     "A particular problem with using Ada as a design description
     language is that all dependencies (with clauses) must be
     specified before the program can be compiled. This conflicts
     with top-down design where high-level decisions are made and
     dependencies sorted out at a later stage.

Page 177

     Ada has limited facilities for inheritance and it has been
     argued that it is not a true object oriented programming
     language because of this lack.  However, as we shall see
     later, derived types and packages together do give some form
     of inheritance.

Page 204

     ...As we have said before, the subroutine is the main
     abstraction facility in Ada.

Page 219

     "...For example, if a package specification is recompiled,
     then so must be the package body, even though it is not
     altered.  The same is true for all sub units of library units,
     and may cause considerable recompilation.

Which makes for lots of slow, given what everybody knows to be the
case concerning Ada compile times.

Ted Holden
HTE

* ADA
@ 1996-06-14  0:00 Robert Adams
From: Robert Adams @ 1996-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Need some useful packages for ADA programming.  Please leave
email at RAdams9348@gnn.com.

Thanks,
Robert

* ada
@ 1996-08-05  0:00 BCummi6553
From: BCummi6553 @ 1996-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started and I haveing trouble with trying to get my program to
calulate scores
entered that our unlimited and displaying how to show how many were
entered. Can you help me or tell me where to get help.

BCummin6553.aol.com

* Ada
@ 1997-08-23  0:00 Jeffrey D. Iverson
From: Jeffrey D. Iverson @ 1997-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At http://www.iversonsoftware.com/ada.html we've created a FREE online
directory of professional consultants and developers for Ada. We
currently have 22 entries.

You'll also find a job board where you can see opportunities for work, a
discussion board where you can post questions or find answers, and a
bookstore.

I hope you'll visit soon!
--

 Jeffrey D. Iverson         j5rson@iversonsoftware.com
 Iverson Software Co.       http://iversonsoftware.com/

* Ada
@ 1997-10-28  0:00 N6101233
From: N6101233 @ 1997-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I realise that this group is about Ada the language, but I'm desperately
try to find out some stuff about obstacles she had as a female scientist
and why here work has only recently been acknowledged.  If any one
knows, or knows of a group that might - I'd really appreciate!

Robin

* Ada
@ 1999-12-23  0:00 Brijesh
From: Brijesh @ 1999-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am fairly new to Ada programming and have a rather trivial question I
was hoping the group could help answer.

I understand Ada is a very powerful language but is not used much
outside the defence industry, I was woderign if this is a correct
assumption and if so why is this the case - and if not where else is it
used.

Thanks,

Brij

[parent not found: <MPG.12c98531dcc142319896ce@news.uci.kun.nl>]
* Ada
@ 2005-01-26 20:06 mcf501
From: mcf501 @ 2005-01-26 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was just wondering if it is possible to change the colour of a string
in ada 95?