* Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-11 22:52 Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12  9:50 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2019-11-12  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my physical dimension package, there are matrix rotations and quaternions:

http://archive.adaic.com/tools/CKWG/Dimension/SI.html

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12 10:52 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2019-11-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 11 November 2019 22:52:27 UTC, Alain De Vos  wrote:
> Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
> Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?

There are vectors and matrices in the library: http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rm/html/RM-G-3.html I've no idea how well these optimise or perform for games / 3d rendering.

I have some old game optimised vector3/4 / matrix3/4 types I wrote for the NeHe ports I did. I don't even know if you need to optimise them now for the hw we have.

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12 11:33 ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 11:52:27 PM UTC+1, Alain De Vos wrote:
> Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
> Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?

PS :  I also found a quaternion in openglada

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12 17:06 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2019-11-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:52:27 PM UTC-8, Alain De Vos wrote:
> Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
> Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?

I wrote just such a set of packages when I was doing robotics as NASA. It's not on the web anywhere, but I can make it available; no warranties!

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12 19:50   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2019-11-12 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:06:50 AM UTC-7, Stephen Leake wrote:

> I wrote just such a set of packages when I was doing robotics as NASA. It's not on the web anywhere, but I can make it available; no warranties!

Nice!
Speaking of NASA-ish things, I'm working on a SPARK-verified FITS library for my current organization (involved in astronomy) — though, I don't know that this would have much overlap with robotics unless perhaps tying in the scientific-instrumentation.

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2019-11-12 23:54     ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-12 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 8:50:03 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:06:50 AM UTC-7, Stephen Leake wrote:
> >
> > I wrote just such a set of packages when I was doing robotics as NASA. It's not on the web anywhere, but I can make it available; no warranties!
>
> Nice!
> Speaking of NASA-ish things, I'm working on a SPARK-verified FITS library for my current organization (involved in astronomy) — though, I don't know that this would have much overlap with robotics unless perhaps tying in the scientific-instrumentation.

There is alot of stuff which rotates.
Rockets, robot arms, planets, ...

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2021-02-15 20:04   ` Maurice Calvert
From: Maurice Calvert @ 2021-02-15 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 18:06:50 UTC+1, Stephen Leake wrote:
> On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:52:27 PM UTC-8, Alain De Vos wrote:
> > Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
> > Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?
> I wrote just such a set of packages when I was doing robotics as NASA. It's not on the web anywhere, but I can make it available; no warranties!

Is there any possibility you could publish the sources please?
Thanks >;-)

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2021-02-16 11:32 ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2021-02-16 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 09:52:27 UTC+11, devosa...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are there Ada packages,types available you can use to juggle, compose rotations,manipulate euler angels, quaternions,convert ?
> Or does a user must construct these objects using complex numbers,trigonometric functions, matrix multiplication ?

You might take a look at the 'any_math.any_Algebra.any_linear.any_d3' package in the Lace components.

https://github.com/charlie5/lace

The file is '.../lace/1-base/math/source/generic/pure/algebra/any_math-any_algebra-any_linear-any_d3.ads'.

The package is a generic. Instantiations for Short_Float, Float and Long_Float are in '.../lace/1-base/math/source/precision'.

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2021-02-16 18:37     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2021-02-16 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://stephe-leake.org/ada/sal-2016.tar.gz

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Rotations in 3D , Euler angles & Quaternions
@ 2021-02-17  8:41 ` onox
From: onox @ 2021-02-17  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have an x86-64 CPU with SSE3 and AVX instructions, you might want to check my 3D engine, Orka, which provides packages for vectors (4), matrices (4x4), and quaternions. See https://github.com/onox/orka/blob/master/src/orka/interface/orka-transforms-simd_quaternions.ads. Use Orka.Transforms.Singles.Quaternions for 32-bit floats with SSE and Orka.Transforms.Doubles.Quaternions for 64-bit with AVX.